Mallard to pintail ratio decoys

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Mallard to pintail ratio decoys

Postby caliduckslayer » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:56 pm

I was going threw my decoys figuring which ones im gonna take since Imma be hunting by myself imma take prob around 17 decoys prob is most of my mallard decoys are sinking I only got a few mallards and all are drakes except one so most my decoys are going to be pintails and 3 shovelers im going to be hunting prob at mendota slough does anyone got any input or suggestions on my spread first year imma be going out there alone so any suggestions will be appreciated
caliduckslayer
hunter

Re: Mallard to pintail ratio decoys

Postby okduckdude » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:39 pm

Go with someone who knows what they're doing if its your first year....... They will teach you the ropes....

But to be nice and answer your question, match what you see.
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:46 pm

throw a few periods in there and make it easier to read. not trying to be the grammar police but it's hard to read a post that has no periods. like posted above, match what you see. assuming by your name that your in california, from what I have read pintails are very popular so i think you would be good with as many pintails as possible. but ive never hunter outside of oklahoma so what do i know.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby callinfowl » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:44 am

caliduckslayer wrote:I was going threw my decoys figuring which ones im gonna take since Imma be hunting by myself imma take prob around 17 decoys prob is most of my mallard decoys are sinking I only got a few mallards and all are drakes except one so most my decoys are going to be pintails and 3 shovelers im going to be hunting prob at mendota slough does anyone got any input or suggestions on my spread first year imma be going out there alone so any suggestions will be appreciated

I'd see if you could trade a few of them sprig for a few more mallard , widg.or teal.
4 to 6 sprig work fine on most CA refuges.
Ask on the CA forum if anyone that lives near you would trade or sell you a few Mallard or other decoys for $2 to $3 per decoy.
You might get lucky and find someone that would give you a few . :yes:
Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:59 am

I'd put 12 or so pintail out in groups of 4. 3 drakes 1 hen per group, and put 5 mallards kinda close in between some of the pintail groups. I've notice mallard drakes tend to mistake pintails as hens from above lol. Later in the season when the ducks start to pair up, use mainly hen decoys to get the drakes in for a closer look. Good luck this season
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting