Creek Mallards

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

Creek Mallards

Postby WF1 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:03 pm

I have a spot to duck hunt and I've been pretty successful on the land the past few years. It has a 10 acre pond and a 2 acre pond where I spend a majority of my time hunting.

However, there is a very small creek that runs the length of the property. I've hunted the creek a few times after all the ponds freee with really very good success, throwing out a few decoys and a spinner and is usually plenty to shoot my limit.

However, whenever there is more than just me hunting there aren't enough birds decoying in to our section of the creek, they seem to go to about 4 or 5 different spots, and once live ducks are on the creek its game over for our section. Without actually walking the whole creek to get all the birds up (its about 2 mile stretch) it gets tough to decoy birds.

The creek is only ankle deep, and only about 15ft wide but it has about 10 ft banks on most of it, making the birds feel very safe (no trees at all). I have never ever heard a duck quacking when they are on the water (that includes a time when I watched 2k greenheads pile in to an area).

Question is, how to you make your spot the go to spot for all the ducks? I've tried a spinner up on the bank to get their attention, throwing out 4 dz dekes, using only 6 dekes, calling, no calling-just can't seem to get a consistent pattern going with them.

Anyone have any tips or tricks when hunting this kinda situation?
WF1
hunter

Re: Creek Mallards

Postby okduckdude » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:39 pm

My advise is use fewer decoys, possibly forget the spinner in later season, and use a jerk line. Most likely in that creek water movement isn't very swift and when the ducks look down all they see are plastic blocks.

Also creek hunting can be very hard because sometimes birds will light in one area and float to another. Scouting is the most important factor with creek hunting, see where/when they dive-bomb and then hunt that area.

You make it sound like your area is mostly used as a resting area between feeding and the roost. Those will always be hit or miss because ducks don't always use the same loafing areas, especially when places are getting pressure.

A final issue is concealment, if your not concealed very well then you won't have much success in small puddles.
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:31 pm

Corn pile would work great. All jokes aside, like said above, leave the spinner at home especially late in the year.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby WF1 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:57 pm

I typically start with the spinner before sunrise and then pull it once the sun is up more, seems to work great for 20 min right after LST but then they just flare. I've scouted it many a time, and they use about 4 diff spots for the most part but as mentioned it can be a bit of a crap shoot. I might try putting some FBs out on the small sand bar close to where they typically use the creek. Sometimes they dive bomb others they'll circle for 10 min and take off. Given the small opening on the creek I think having the perfect wind for them to land makes a big difference too.

The current puts nice motion on the dekes, it's super shallow but I've never seen it ice up even when the big lakes in the area are froze solid.

I usually just use layouts but I might dig in a blind this year so concealment isn't an issue, it can be on some parts of the creek where the grass isn't as tall, but this year things are much different considering we actually got rain for the grass to grow up.
WF1
hunter

Postby tywhite87 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:15 pm

I would buy 6 to 12 of the best looking, most realistic decoys you can afford. Don't use them the rest of the year just reserve them for the late season when birds have seen it all. Also agree with the above comment to leave the spinner behind and use a jerk cord or two.
tywhite87
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:06 pm

This will happen to us when we hunt creeks we will shoot 1 or 2 then we look down 150 yards and there are a ton of ducks.
Good Luck in the field-Mike.
Mike657
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:10 pm

Try setting up where they feed and maybe even useing less than 6 decoys. when dealing with repeat feeders you have to swich it up. ditch the spinner.
Good Luck in the field-Mike.
Mike657
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:42 pm

I hunt a small creek in late season because everything else is frozen over. It seems to me the ducks will do a different thing each day. I'd put things in places I don't want them to land. A bright canoe, a car, coyote decoys... then set a up less than a dozen decoys at least 100 yards from your anti-bait and sit right up close to them.

I guess if there are other guys in there that might be upsetting... otherwise try what the guys above mentioned. Although I doubt an expensive decoy is your solution.

Mugz
Mugzwump
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting