Big river locations how too choose your spot

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

Big river locations how too choose your spot

Postby T3clay » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:19 pm

I'm looking for info on how you guys go about looking for a spot to hunt on big rivers like the mississippi its huge when the birds migrate through your area are you running traffic or sticking to the X I'm in mn hunting the mississippi and doing my best to learn it but its crazy so many people that hunt and spots are limited, any suggestions?
T3clay
hunter
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:48 pm


Re: Big river locations how too choose your spot

Postby koonce727 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:49 am

for migrator days shallow points that jut out into the big water will give you the most visibility. Also look for celery flats in those areas. Lots of rice around also, look for shallow bends that are farther out than the other locations. I prefer to hunt areas that are not over my waders.

But the best thing to do is get some time on the river and see where the duck favor year to year. Its almost the same every year where the ducks favor one area over the other even if is getting shot up.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:16 am
Location: Mergens Point,WI

Re: Big river locations how too choose your spot

Postby Gunnysway » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:18 am

T3clay wrote:I'm looking for info on how you guys go about looking for a spot to hunt on big rivers like the mississippi its huge when the birds migrate through your area are you running traffic or sticking to the X I'm in mn hunting the mississippi and doing my best to learn it but its crazy so many people that hunt and spots are limited, any suggestions?



Capital letters at the beginning of sentences, commas in the middle and periods at the end of sentences go a long way...

:hammer:
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
User avatar
Gunnysway
hunter
 
Posts: 3187
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:46 am
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell

Re: Big river locations how too choose your spot

Postby Rich- » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:01 pm

Gunnysway wrote:
T3clay wrote:I'm looking for info on how you guys go about looking for a spot to hunt on big rivers like the mississippi its huge when the birds migrate through your area are you running traffic or sticking to the X I'm in mn hunting the mississippi and doing my best to learn it but its crazy so many people that hunt and spots are limited, any suggestions?



Capital letters at the beginning of sentences, commas in the middle and periods at the end of sentences go a long way...

:hammer:


And a single period at the end of sentences. :hammer:
Rich-
hunter
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:06 am
Location: Finger Lakes NY

Re: Big river locations how too choose your spot

Postby hankyorke » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:09 pm

Normally, I scout and look for ducks.
hankyorke
hunter
 
Posts: 377
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:47 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Big river locations how too choose your spot

Postby Gunnysway » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:07 am

Rich- wrote:
Gunnysway wrote:
T3clay wrote:I'm looking for info on how you guys go about looking for a spot to hunt on big rivers like the mississippi its huge when the birds migrate through your area are you running traffic or sticking to the X I'm in mn hunting the mississippi and doing my best to learn it but its crazy so many people that hunt and spots are limited, any suggestions?



Capital letters at the beginning of sentences, commas in the middle and periods at the end of sentences go a long way...

:hammer:

And a single period at the end of sentences. :hammer:



The ellipsis is a non-verbal cue that is often used in computer-mediated interactions, in particular in synchronous genres, such as chat. The reason behind its popularity is the fact that it allows people to indicate in writing several functions:

the sign of ellipsis can function as a floor holding device, and signal that more is to come, for instance when people break up longer turns in chat[9]
dot-dot-dot can be used systematically to enact linguistic politeness, for instance indicating topic change or hesitation[10]
suspension dots can be Turn construction unit to signal silence, for example when indicating disagreement, disapproval or confusion [11]






So... :grooving:
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
User avatar
Gunnysway
hunter
 
Posts: 3187
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:46 am
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell

Re: Big river locations how too choose your spot

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:20 pm

English Nazi, spanks wanna be English Nazi. :lol:

Another DHC moment to remember! :thumbsup:
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
User avatar
ScaupHunter
hunter
 
Posts: 6702
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:57 am

Re: Big river locations how too choose your spot

Postby fowlweather92 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:51 pm

He asked if you guys that hunt big rivers like he explained run traffic or stick to a "X". Not an english lesson...

I would do a mixture of both traffic and sticking to a spot they want to be.
This whole school thing makes duck hunting a little harder...
fowlweather92
hunter
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:35 pm
Location: Northern, NY

Re: Big river locations how too choose your spot

Postby Gunnysway » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:37 am

Settle down Francis... :tongue:
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
User avatar
Gunnysway
hunter
 
Posts: 3187
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:46 am
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell

Re: Big river locations how too choose your spot

Postby fowlweather92 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:38 pm

If the last post was directed towards me I find it very weird. because thats my middle name... haha
This whole school thing makes duck hunting a little harder...
fowlweather92
hunter
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:35 pm
Location: Northern, NY

Re: Big river locations how too choose your spot

Postby Gunnysway » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:38 am

It was.

:lol3:
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
User avatar
Gunnysway
hunter
 
Posts: 3187
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:46 am
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell

Re: Big river locations how too choose your spot

Postby PnR_Productions » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:44 pm

SCOUT SCOUT SCOUT!!! Also it helps when you do find a good spot to get there early so you can get the spot your spot! We spend countless hours scouting before season and a lot during the season! I think getting out and exploring, and finding where the ducks want to be is the best thing you can do for hunting the Mississippi.
P&R Productions
2013 Count:
Too many to count ;)
Would someone please pay me to hunt cuz this college stuff takes up to much hunting time!
User avatar
PnR_Productions
hunter
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: WI, The original West Coast


Return to Puddler Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests