Big Water

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Big Water

Postby BigJeff » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:31 am

Newer to waterfowl and most of my oppurtunities are "big water" with limited scouting time and tips to key on for big water? Opener is coming quick and I have a cuple lakes in mind.

What gets more attention, sections with larger amount of shallower water? Places where streams/ rivers come in and out of a lake? Or point where the lake necks down?

I know you want to be where the ducks are but with limited scouting I am tryign to play the odds.
BigJeff
hunter

Re: Big Water

Postby BigJeff » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:33 pm

Any one?
BigJeff
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:53 am

BigJeff wrote:Newer to waterfowl and most of my oppurtunities are "big water" with limited scouting time and tips to key on for big water? Opener is coming quick and I have a cuple lakes in mind.

What gets more attention, sections with larger amount of shallower water? Places where streams/ rivers come in and out of a lake? Or point where the lake necks down?

I know you want to be where the ducks are but with limited scouting I am tryign to play the odds.

It is kind of a loaded question. If there is a food source in the bigger areas (aquatic grass), hunt that. Do the shallow spots have said food source? If so, hunt there. What types of ducks will you be seeing? If mainly divers, hunt the bigger water. Are there fields for feeding off the lakes? Is so, hunt near those. Is there a nearby refuge? If so, hunt close to that. Pinch points are usually a good bet, but may pass shoot only. Is it public land? If so, get away from the masses. There are so many variables in set ups, locations, etc. Not knowing some details makes it near impossible to answer in a fitting way.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby BigJeff » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:06 pm

Thanks for the reply. I will work on narrowing it down better. Still new to everything but can wait to get out.

May be a better questions would be is it better to get away from shore line and be further out In the water if possible.
BigJeff
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:03 pm

BigJeff wrote:Thanks for the reply. I will work on narrowing it down better. Still new to everything but can wait to get out.

May be a better questions would be is it better to get away from shore line and be further out In the water if possible.

It depends on the location and surrounding terrain. If you have the ability to be off the shore, you will be more visible from more directions. Even 40 yards can make a difference. If ducks are coming from behind a point and can't see you, you have lesser chance of turning them, typically. Now, if you are visible from before they pass that point, you may draw more interest. Obviously, this is a generality since hunting pressure, food source, etc. will all play factors. I hunt a lot on a military base, as hunting pressure increases, birds fly mainly in the middle of the water and raft up by the THOUSANDS!!! The closer to those areas you can be the better.
scruggs12
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting