How do I hit a teal?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Re: How do I hit a teal?

Postby Pepper1 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:21 pm

2-3 feet in front, yup. I remember when the shooting light bulb finally came on eons ago in the lead days. Don't remmebr the ducks, maybe Widgeon, but I shot at the lead bird, the 5th or 6th bird back dropped. It was game on! after that .

I miss more these days with steel though. I like steel 4 and 6's over the deeks for widgeon and teal.if that's all that's around though is the problem. 2's and BB's for the refuge hunts and larger fowl. I can almost guarantee you though, that the minute I load up the gun with BB's , 50 teal are gonna drop in and say hello.
Pepper1
hunter

Postby WetlandWarrior » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:32 pm

In my experience it seems that the moment I want to take the shot they do some crazy double loop back flip thing and they are either 2 feet above or 2 feet below where your barrel is pointing. I think they tend to do this as they get above your decoy's which is generally right were you want to shoot. For me it seems if you let them clear the spread they tend to fly a little more like a normal duck and are an easier shot. They do seem fast but really are not any faster than a normal duck it's all perception, 30 mph in a go cart feels a lot faster than 30 mph in your car (unless you drive a go cart to work...LOL). Take your time and make sure you are tracking them well. #2's, #3's and #4's all work fine. Also once they flair they are generally an easier shot as they are concentrating gaining altitude rather than their acrobatics. We all know teal have a few loose screws that is why they are so fun to shoot at.
WetlandWarrior
hunter

Postby Feather Seeker » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:38 pm

15 to 20 yards,in the face,3"#4 steel .725 choke ,or let them land and and line heads up :thumbsup:
Feather Seeker
hunter

Postby Feather Seeker » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:11 pm

Try painting them with your shot instead of shooting them with your gun.i find this more usefull than any other info.
Feather Seeker
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:23 am

Get them while their swimming.
Good Luck in the field-Mike.
Mike657
hunter

Previous

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting