Any opinions on the best hunting dog breed

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Any opinions on the best hunting dog breed

Postby Wood Duck Hunter » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:04 pm

I'm thinking of getting a hunting dog and i was wandering if anyone had a breed they think is the best. :smile:
Wood Duck Hunter
hunter

Re: Any opinions on the best hunting dog breed

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:48 pm

If you simply go by the numbers of hunting dogs in each breed sold, owned, trialed, or hunted over the Laborador Retriever is gonna win every time. You really need to give this some more thought, and tell us what you need and want in a dog. A lab may not be what you need.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Wood Duck Hunter » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:05 pm

Really all I want is a breed thats cheep, obediant, and a good duck and goose retriver. :thumbsup:
Wood Duck Hunter
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:53 pm

Wood Duck Hunter wrote:Really all I want is a breed thats cheep, obediant, and a good duck and goose retriver. :thumbsup:

Do you hunt any upland as well?
What's the temp ranges where you hunt?
Are you planning on training it yourself?
Do you have any experience training ________(insert breed)?
Do you want a large or small breed?
What's your favorite color?
Do you want it to be a hypoallergenic breed?
Why do you want a cheap dog? Don't you want one from parents who you KNOW are good hunters?

If you want a cheap, obedient retriever, go down to the nearest shelter and throw a stick. Take the first one home that brings you the stick.

If you want a reliable, trainable hunting companion, do some damn research.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:35 pm

go get the bird wrote:
Wood Duck Hunter wrote:Really all I want is a breed thats cheep, obediant, and a good duck and goose retriver. :thumbsup:

Do you hunt any upland as well?
What's the temp ranges where you hunt?
Are you planning on training it yourself?
Do you have any experience training ________(insert breed)?
Do you want a large or small breed?
What's your favorite color?
Do you want it to be a hypoallergenic breed?
Why do you want a cheap dog? Don't you want one from parents who you KNOW are good hunters?

If you want a cheap, obedient retriever, go down to the nearest shelter and throw a stick. Take the first one home that brings you the stick.

If you want a reliable, trainable hunting companion, do some damn research.

:clapping:
scruggs12
hunter

Postby quanah labs » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:05 pm

Do not buy a "cheap dog"! If you can't afford field breed stock then your better off just keeping your expectations low. Like the previous post worte throw a ball around your local shelter and see which one brings it back to you. Shelter dogs are really the only kind of cheap dog you should consider.

Paying more for a dog gives you ( for the most part ) several advantages including

A) quality proven hunting pedigree

B) health certificates several generations back, including genetic test which greatly increases your odds of getting a healthy pup.

C) quality breeders can give you an opportunity to watch your pups parents hunt if not in person then on video.

You should consider joing a local HRC ( hunting retiever club) and get to know some "hunting dog guys" before you make a decision.

Good luck with your new pup, just make sure you have enough time for a dog, they are a full time job!
Hunt like your hungry
quanah labs
hunter

Postby greenster » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:27 pm

Best dog I ever had was a free black lab, Second was a $50 blonde LAB. Only thing you cant teach is instinct. Ive seen $1500 House pet's and $1500 world class dogs. For waterdog, I just pick what seems to be the best of litter, Love it feed it and a little training. The best dog I had and first one I trained I got at 13 years old and knew nothing of training dogs.. Still cant fathom the patience of that dog. One day when I was 16 he went to meet me getting off the school bus like everyday and got hit by a car.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby wanapasaki » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:43 pm

Popcorn... Check!
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:45 pm

My best dog was a Labrador x Australian Shepherd. Dog was amazing, and walked behind me @ 12 weeks old on my quail hunts. She could blind retrieve about 200 yards out, and did everything from quail to ducks. Get their natural instinct going and feed them well and you will be amazed how any dog can perform. :beer:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:17 am

Hands down...

Poodle.

Not the miniatures though... they suck.

:welcome:
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby ChasinTail » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:05 am

wanapasaki wrote:My best dog was a Labrador x Australian Shepherd. Dog was amazing, and walked behind me @ 12 weeks old on my quail hunts. She could blind retrieve about 200 yards out, and did everything from quail to ducks. Get their natural instinct going and feed them well and you will be amazed how any dog can perform. :beer:

Off topic but man i believe that. I have a 2 year old Australian Shepherd that started retrieving my downed birds from just walking with me around the woods with me and having that natural instinct kick in. No training whatsoever. Loves water more than anything too. Also have her chasing rabbits and shes finally starting to figure out if she uses her nose she can follow and find them anywhere. Pretty cool.
ChasinTail
hunter

Postby TomKat » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:08 am

I think you need a rotweiler.

Not only are they great duck dogs, they can double up as a guard dog.

They are great with kids and very loyal to their owners.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Gunnysway » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:30 am

And poodles aren't :huh:

They are the best guard dogs in the world.

I hunt with a poodle because they are the world's original waterfowl retreiver and guard, since 1610. They are the SMARTEST of all 450 or so breeds of canines. They have webbed feet, they are water dogs and have canines for biting. Unlike you weirdo's, I have experience with the breed. I know what they are. You are only guessing because you've seen them in show clips. You don't know this breed. Now if you want to call me a weirdo face to face, arrange the meeting, and I will kick your dumb patutie all over the place. I stand 9 ft 1, 1240 pounds of muscle, with a 107 yr background in martial arts, to include wrestling, boxing, and kick boxing, and wife beating. So why don't you put your money where your ignorance of the breed and ignorance of me are. $ our national debt says I kick your stupid two digit IQ buttocks all over the place. Then you can go home and marry a transvestite.

I have had several dogs: labs, dobermans, chessie, pitbulls, setters, chihuahuas and golden retreivers. And after being exposed to the standard poodle, I will clearly never own another breed because they are SUPERIOR dogs. You butt heads are not even aware that the breed has a rich 400 year hunting and guard dog history, that when you trace the lineage of all hunting dogs and guard dogs, the one at the top of the lineage ladder, IS the standard poodle. The dogs were hunted with/ and guarded property heavily in this country from 1700 to about 1900 until the American Kennel Club politics ruled them and 6 other hunting breeds and guard dog breeds out from hunt/guard tests and only allowed show clips on the dogs. This vanity was an effort to suport the Westminster dog show. 7 hunting/guard dog breeds were lost in this country. The poodle, as of the last 20 yrs has made and is making a comeback, as more than 20 professional gun dog trainers have been training them now, and 330 gaurd dog trainers are teaching them proper tactical transitions through urban areas...

Now, I know you two digit IQ morons are not capable of comprehending this, as your sense of judgement comes from prejudices acquired by age 18, so don't worry, just go back home and marry that transvestite. and leave the standard poodle owners and trainers to our heterosexual standards. I guess in your proud idiocracy, you think the poodle gun dog/guard dog trainers are gay too, especially the ones who train as husband /wife teams. Let me spell it out for you, and go tattoo it on your forehead so strangers in public can read it for you and to you: (1) Standard Poodle is the smartest of all canines, (2) Webbed feet = water dog, (3) 400 yr hunting history on planet earth and 200 year heavy hunting history in the US. (5) K9 teeth for biting hard...What all this means is, quite frankly, I have a better dog than you do. See, in addition to being a kick ass soldier of fortune, my IQ is 945 avg with high scores of 959 and 1168. Baseline for genious is 150. So it follows that being intelligent, I make INFORMED decisions, as opposed to the average American who is quite frankly, simple minded. I see to it that I am informed BETTER than you. I have exposure to this breed. I know what they are. You are without a stinkig clue. Stick to your simple mindedness, and your simple minded dog. You are not worthy of a dog smart or capable as a poodle.

:hammer:

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby quanah labs » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:38 am

Just get a field bred lab
Hunt like your hungry
quanah labs
hunter

Postby TomKat » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:17 am

Gunnsaway, you missed the point.

There was no call for your mean spirited post.

I FOED your ass, so it wont happen again.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Gunnysway » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:38 am

:lol:

Are you kidding? I thought you were here for that epic post...

And I miss the point all the time...

:hammer:

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:07 pm

I will always own wirehairs....great for everything

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:18 pm

People can debate the best breed all day long and still get no where. A dog doesn't have to be from a line that's got 2500 blue ribbons in it to be a good one. One of the worse hunting dogs I have ever saw had a pedigree a mile long and more medals than General George Patton. The key to a good hunting dog is, obedience, obedience, obedience. Pick a breed you personally like not one that someone on a chat sight suggests. Be willing to sacrifice your time everyday to train the dog, and my best suggestion is one I learned from my dad a long time ago. Be willing to hunt by yourself that dogs first season, its his learning season and no place for your buddies. Its time for you and the dog to learn to communicate and for him to learn what you expect from him

BTW my favorite breed for hunting ducks and geese is a Chesapeake, BUT they aren't for the novice
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting