Pintail/Widgeon/Teal whistle call?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Pintail/Widgeon/Teal whistle call?

Postby duck_dynasty » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:39 pm

Is there any reason to have a whistle call on your lanyard or will any of these said ducks come in just as effectively to a standard mallard call?
duck_dynasty
hunter

Re: Pintail/Widgeon/Teal whistle call?

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:28 am

In terms of general effectiveness on species that whistle, much depends on the man behind the mallard call. Some are better off whistling, some aren't. But there are times and places where a whistle can be just the ticket, and it's no burden at all to carry a small one.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby scubaarchery » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:07 pm

I like to mix them up a little bit, especially if there is more than one hunter and you have puddler pack decoys with pintail and teal in addition to mallards. Having a combo of calls seems to appeal to more ducks than just one call.
scubaarchery
hunter

Postby d_money » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:11 am

I think a lot has to do with how much the birds have been called over the season. There is a spot I hunt that gets hammered with people but is also loaded with ducks. They hear a lot of mallard calls through the year around late nov I switch to a lot of other decoys including, pintails, gadwalls, teal. And there are a lot of them around once I start blowing on my whistle the birds come flying right in around everyone else with the normal mallard spread and banging out a hail call for every duck that comes by. Also widgeon are very call responsive. I try to use the specific call toward the bird I'm calling to. Pintail to pintail, mallard to mallard with other duck sounds mixed in.
d_money
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:38 am

Not a lot of people on the public land I hunt use these whistles. They'll party blow their duck calls all day long. When there are teal and widgeon flying around, that's normally all I will use. Across the pond, there will be pintails hiding in the reeds that will actually call back when things calm down. I would suggest buying one.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby BBK » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:08 pm

I used my whistle every day of our early season calling teal. They would not respond to a mallard call, but teal peeps brought several flocks right in. We don't see many pintails or wigeon where I hunt, so once the teal are gone I don't bother with the whistle anymore.
BBK
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:40 am

its worth it. The call is only like 7-10$ and especially for pintail and widegeon. They mainly whistle so if you see one you have a much better chance. Teal is good to have but not needed. If you have a hen teal call thats good. I use the whistle mainly for getting teal to finally commit...kind of like a single mallard quack
thomashamm2
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting