There is such a thing as too much wind!

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

There is such a thing as too much wind!

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:17 am

Ever seen birds come into a spread backwards before? 40+ mph wind gust blew over a tree and made our day tough. Still shot a limit, but that was the most wind I have ever hunted in (except for the severe tstorm that popped up while turkey hunting. nickel sized hail hurts!). Anybody else have strong wind experuence? Post up some tips so we don't have to try 11 theories before finding one that works.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:29 am

Wow that sounds like what happend to me and my friend yesterday. I went out of the ice shack and then there was a little bigger gust of wind and then the ice shack just started slide with my friend in it :eek:Then I grabed it because he fell out and I was sliding with it because I didn't have ice cleats on. I told him I will meet him up at shore :laughing: After that we decided to leave. I think there has been too much wind lately too. If it is too windy I just like to pass shoot or something like that because they ducks and geese fly low :thumbsup:
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:22 am

We have hunted 35+ mph winds 4 or 5 times this season and numerous times in the past. The only bit of advice I can offer is make sure the wind is blowing at your back. I've always heard that ducks will look for a spot out of the wind, but where we've been hunting they will come in and land even if the wind is all wrong.

Also, if you're hunting out of a boat make sure it can handle the wind. I have a 1448 and it gets pretty scary some times. The thing that saves us is it has 22 inch sides.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:39 pm

i've had ducks come frome behind in a 25-30mph wind. they sort of came in flying sideways going downwind and then as they passed over the spread just hooked into the wind and locked up to settle in.

i can't say as that i have any specific ideas about how to hunt them in high winds though.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:44 pm

An un written rule is that dux dont care for waves splashing them around. Ive killed em in wind...usually I throw my dekes in a protected area. If its really windy...I usaully just scout, or, stay in bed. I do like to have a bit of a breeze to add life to my setup.

:salude: :hammering: :salude: :hammering: :salude: :hammering:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting