Will ducks come back to a pond after being shot?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

Will ducks come back to a pond after being shot?

Postby Huntman27 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:59 pm

I have jumped a pond the last three days. The first day there was mallards, the second day there was diver ducks and today there was wood ducks. We only shot 5 ducks on there between the three days. What would you say the chances are there will be ducks on there tomorrow? Thanks
Huntman27
hunter

Re: Will ducks come back to a pond after being shot?

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:08 pm

I hope this is a joke.

Sent from my busted iPhone
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:10 pm

Wait! Never mind, I thought I was still in the Texas forum. I was like I hope this guy knows the season hasn't started, man do I feel dumb :/

Sent from my busted iPhone
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby Huntman27 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:11 pm

It's not. I don't no much about hunting on ponds because I just started water hunting. I just find it odd that once one species of duck goes another species comes right back to take its place.
Huntman27
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:32 pm

id think so, i mean, me and a buddy have a cornfield next to his place with a small cattail covered pond that weve jumped twice this season. The same ducks wont be there, but as the migration increases in the next couple weeks, were hoping for more ducks to show up there, although we do leave a week in between each try just to be safe.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby txhunter90 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:15 pm

Huntman27 wrote:It's not. I don't no much about hunting on ponds because I just started water hunting. I just find it odd that once one species of duck goes another species comes right back to take its place.

Ducks are unpredictable as women.
txhunter90
hunter

Postby BBK » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:19 pm

First. Why are the ducks there? is it a roost pond, a food pond (millet, pads, duckweed, etc), or just a day loaf?

General rule, you'll get two cracks at them and then they will avoid the pond like it's on fire. The exception of course is if it is a food pond, they will keep coming back and more birds will join each day to feed. If it is a roost pond, you're done. They will find another place to roost. If it is a day loaf pond, you can get the same birds once or twice until they get weary and find another place.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby Huntman27 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:10 am

BBK wrote:First. Why are the ducks there? is it a roost pond, a food pond (millet, pads, duckweed, etc), or just a day loaf?

General rule, you'll get two cracks at them and then they will avoid the pond like it's on fire. The exception of course is if it is a food pond, they will keep coming back and more birds will join each day to feed. If it is a roost pond, you're done. They will find another place to roost. If it is a day loaf pond, you can get the same birds once or twice until they get weary and find another place.

Id say it's either a a day loaf pond or a roost pond. The pond isn't very big, barely any catails, barely no food. The pond is in the middle of no where. It's a mile wak just to get there. The pond is surrounded by,tall grass, trees and standing corn.
Huntman27
hunter

Postby Omaha Clucker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:37 am

Once that corn comes out you might have a chance if ducks want to feed and then hop over for a drink. I wouldn't keep hitting it day after day like that though. I would say no more than once a week to avoid burning it out as much as possible.
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Postby Omaha Clucker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:45 am

Or another option would be depending on how many ducks we're talking here to not shoot when you first jump them. Just kick them off and then get covered up best you can. You might get more shooting if they come back in pairs or threes and you can get out of there without running the whole flock out
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Postby Huntman27 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:37 am

Omaha Clucker wrote:Or another option would be depending on how many ducks we're talking here to not shoot when you first jump them. Just kick them off and then get covered up best you can. You might get more shooting if they come back in pairs or threes and you can get out of there without running the whole flock out

About 1-2 doz r on at a time
Huntman27
hunter

Postby Omaha Clucker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:31 am

yeah man, I would either only jump shoot it once a week or so, or else go in there and scare them off without shooting and hope they come back in smaller groups and pick them off that way. That would be the best bet to keep shooting all season
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:07 pm

Omaha Clucker wrote:yeah man, I would either only jump shoot it once a week or so, or else go in there and scare them off without shooting and hope they come back in smaller groups and pick them off that way. That would be the best bet to keep shooting all season

Right on! A lot of high schoolers jump the ponds and fields around my house when school is out. There are ALWAYS ducks in October. But you won't see a single one at the end of the month and for the rest of the season. I wouldn't jump the pond in the evening. It could be a roost. If you shoot up a roost, then they'll stop returning. Jump it once or twice a week tops. And keep people off of it if the property is yours.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Huntman27 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:46 pm

Went back there today and no ducks....oh well ill let it sit for a while.
Huntman27
hunter

Postby Huntman27 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:44 am

Do you think it would pay to set up some decoys and hunt in there this weekend or not?
Huntman27
hunter

Postby BBK » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:10 pm

No, wait until next weekend. Give them over a week to settle down and return to your pond. Find a creek or pond on public land and jump it this weekend and leave your pond to sit for a while. :thumbsup:

That is of course unless you have a weather system moving in that will bring you some new ducks, if so I would be hunting that pond for sure!
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby gatorsnagger » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:12 pm

A week between sits is the best way to do it. If there are always ducks in there I would set up a blind, toss a couple dekes and hunt it in the morning every Saturday. Forget that jump shooting crap, unless you have a hard time getting out of bed.
gatorsnagger
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:57 pm

I'm not big on jump shooting. I prefer to shoot them in the fields where they're eating. If that's not possible, I'll back shoot a pond. It fun to set some decoys and wait for them to come back.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:22 pm

One does not simply jump shoot waterfowl... that's your first problem. Take your time and set up before light with some decoys... You will most likely have better success and a lot more fun doing so.
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby cowboykerk » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:22 am

Well if im reading the post title right... A duck that's been shot shouldn't be going anywhere but back home with you....
cowboykerk
hunter

Postby LETEMWORK21 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:04 pm

Would you return to a neighborhood after being shot?
Jack it up, fat chicks can't jump!
LETEMWORK21
hunter

Postby radisson » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:17 am

LETEMWORK21 wrote:Would you return to a neighborhood after being shot?

Great post!! :thumbsup:
radisson
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting