Mallard or Black?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Mallard or Black?

Postby mikeg1005 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:09 pm

Unfortunately I didn't snap the head/bill... bill was yellow like a drake mallard, head had slight green feathers like a mallard drake, but only on the top... at first I thought it was a non-breeding mallard drake, but I'm starting to think its a black duck... except for the white on the wings.

Thoughts?
mikeg1005
hunter

Re: Mallard or Black?

Postby BBK » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:50 pm

First year drake mallard.
BBK
hunter

Postby steelheadslayer » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:55 pm

BBK wrote:First year drake mallard.

Agree
"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em."-Phil Roberston
steelheadslayer
hunter

Postby mikeg1005 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:10 pm

Just like I thought.

Thanks guys.
mikeg1005
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:33 am

A true blood black has no white anywhere near the speculum..
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:04 pm

goosehunter64 wrote:A true blood black has no white anywhere near the speculum..

That's correct, but it's also a good way to tell if there is a cross somewhere down the line. Most black ducks we shoot today have some white lining the speculum. This is an indication of a cross with a mallard somewhere in the past. I've spoken to DEC officers on this and they concur. But, I'd draw the line short of calling it a cross breed and not including it as black duck in your daily bag unless the cross is really obvious.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:16 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:
goosehunter64 wrote:A true blood black has no white anywhere near the speculum..

That's correct, but it's also a good way to tell if there is a cross somewhere down the line. Most black ducks we shoot today have some white lining the speculum. This is an indication of a cross with a mallard somewhere in the past. I've spoken to DEC officers on this and they concur. But, I'd draw the line short of calling it a cross breed and not including it as black duck in your daily bag unless the cross is really obvious.

Frank

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby BBK » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:27 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:

Frank

Right on, but a hybrid is an "other" no matter what it is crossed with. You can shoot 6 pintail x mallard if you get that lucky. Just be damn sure you can prove without a reasonable doubt that it is a hybrid when green jeans checks you.
BBK
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:35 pm

Frank[/quote]

Right on, but a hybrid is an "other" no matter what it is crossed with. You can shoot 6 pintail x mallard if you get that lucky. Just be damn sure you can prove without a reasonable doubt that it is a hybrid when green jeans checks you.[/quote]

Unfortunately not here in MA. The federal warden and the state warden will consider it the species it identifies more closely with or the more restrictive in the case of a mallard/black hybrid. May be different elsewhere.
Joser06
hunter

Postby BBK » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:24 pm

Joser06 wrote:Unfortunately not here in MA. The federal warden and the state warden will consider it the species it identifies more closely with or the more restrictive in the case of a mallard/black hybrid. May be different elsewhere.

They better not. Limits are set on species. A black X mallard is not a Anas rubripes nor a Anas platyrhynchos so it cannot count towards either one. Federal USFW sets (approves) the species regulations, there are no restriction for hybrids. If a CO is writing me a ticket for having 6 black x mallard he better take all 6 into evidence for DNA testing... because he's going to have to prove I shot 6 black ducks or 6 mallards when I did not.
BBK
hunter

Postby Quackhead90 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:40 pm

Joser06 wrote:Frank

Unfortunately not here in MA. The federal warden and the state warden will consider it the species it identifies more closely with or the more restrictive in the case of a mallard/black hybrid. May be different elsewhere.[/quote]

I have talked to federal warden and he said it counts as an other duck.
Quackhead90
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting