Pond Hunting

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Pond Hunting

Postby rnloutdoors » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:19 am

I have a small private pond that I can hunt this year, and when I tried to sneak down there I kinda spooked a bunch of wood ducks off. Some of them just flew across and landed in the cattails and others started to circle back within in minutes so I left. The only place that provides cover is the cattails butt they were all across the other side of the pond which is only about 70 yards if that. I only have a high school budget so I just have a couple mallard decoys, I was wondering if I sat in the cattails would it hurt to put maybe a dozen mallards to try and get the woodies to land over by me? Or any opions on how to try and get a couple woodies?

Thanks
rnloutdoors
hunter

Re: Pond Hunting

Postby thomashamm2 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:34 am

Mallards would be ok but if u could at least get a couple woodie decoys that would be better....a wood duck call would make them seem realistic and the duck commander call is only 20 $
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby rnloutdoors » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:13 am

Thanks for the advice
rnloutdoors
hunter

Postby BBK » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:07 pm

I agree with what has been said.

Take a look at gander mtn, cabelas, bass pro, fleet farm, farm and fleet, all of those stores usually have loose decoys for sale in a bin for $3-$5 each. Pick up two drake wood ducks. Go ahead and put your mallard spread out, it will attract any teal or mallards, and then put your two drake woodies together about 15 feet from your spread.

A wood duck call will also help you if you do not already have one. The duck commander wd-1 is only $20 at most sporting goods stores.
BBK
hunter

Postby gatorsnagger » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:09 pm

When I hunt woodrows in the ponds I will usually toss 2 Canadian floaters and 2 hen mallard floaters. Anything more is overkill as far as I'm concerned. They will swoop out of the nearby trees at daybreak and flutter at water level right to the decoys.

My best advice, sit facing toward the biggest clump of trees regardless of wind direction. If your back is to the trees they will be flying straight down over the back of your head and arching out of range before you can move.
gatorsnagger
hunter

Postby beaunelli » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:47 pm

if woodies are using the pond you dont need decoys, theyre comin whether you put em out or not. i wouldnt put anything out personally
beaunelli
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:10 pm

woodies will land with anything. Buy woodie deeks if you want but you dont need them. make or buy a jerl rig instead.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby luie b » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:40 pm

This sounds like exactly how I hunt most of the time. I hunt all ponds that hold woodies and mallards and for starters, don't buy a wood duck call it's gonna be a waste of money. First of all they're hard to get to sound good. Second of all, by the time you see wood ducks most of the time they're in range to be shooting. And don't feel like you have to go buy woodie decoys, they're too expensive to buy 6 of them and I've never seen any store sell them individually. So your mallard decoys will work that's all I ever use and I have woodies landing in them all the time. If you have a mojo already that works as well for woodies. It doesn't even have to be the mojo duck if you have the mojo dove that works just as well. Good luck with your wood ducks, that's how I started duck hunting they're the most fun duck to hunt!
luie b
hunter

Postby NyDuckMan » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:01 pm

I recently have gotten into the woodies, and from my experiences, I found a nice small spread works, 6 ducks (any kind) and a mojo ( i use a teal drake one, because he's around the woodie size), then just sit and wait. No calling necessary, just as mentioned above the woodies will be more attracted to your spread, and the area you're in rather than the calling. Let the Mojo do the calling for you.

Also, woodies like acorns, so if you can find some oak trees near one of your ponds shorelines post up there.

Good luck, be safe and most important have fun! Also, dont be afraid to use #2 for woodies, they're surprisingly resiliant birds.
**2013 - 2014**
3 - Canada Goose
2 - Mallards
2 - Teal (green winged)
2 - Woodies
NyDuckMan
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:06 am

2 or 3 hen mallards will be enough, a doz mallards in that situation for chasin woodies is over kill and me have the opposite affect that your looking for.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby cowboykerk » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:18 am

You could always get a puddle pack decoys too. 2 woodies, teal, and mallard or pintail. Use that with a whistle duck/ wood duck and you'll do good.
cowboykerk
hunter

Postby rnloutdoors » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:24 am

Thanks for the advice I ended up picking up a 6 wood duck decoys from a friend, turns out when about four dozen wood ducks come in they could care less where those 6 were still ended up getting a few made for a great day
rnloutdoors
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:23 am

rnloutdoors wrote:Thanks for the advice I ended up picking up a 6 wood duck decoys from a friend, turns out when about four dozen wood ducks come in they could care less where those 6 were still ended up getting a few made for a great day

Huntfish12 wrote:woodies will land with anything. Buy woodie deeks if you want but you dont need them. make or buy a jerl rig instead.

told ya so
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting