Lake Hunting question

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Lake Hunting question

Postby dzh8pitt » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:11 pm

I'm trying to figure out where to set up for opening day on a lake. This will only be my 2nd duck season so I'm hoping for some veteran input. Part of the lake is off limits as it backs up to a refuge and I won't be hunting near there because at least for the 1st month it's wall to wall hunters as everyone tries to get as close to it as they can. The whole area gets lots of pressure so I'm thinking that the ducks will be looking for a place to take cover away from the masses.

So here are my 3 options.

1) Hunt a large point that is sheltered by a decent sized island and creates a kind of bottleneck with the shore.
2) A large island that has various coves and points as well as some water that runs up into the island
3) Backwaters and coves surrounded by woods that have various areas of open water, lily pads and algae/duck weed

Thanks for the input in advance
dzh8pitt
Newb

Re: Lake Hunting question

Postby t_baker » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Where are the birds? Go there.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:31 pm

I like the sound of the duck weed. I'm by no means a veteran water fowler but if you scout that area and there are ducks using it it would be productive. It really all depends on the ducks. If they are spending time flying/loafing on the main lake then the point or island cove sounds to be more productive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:01 pm

Scout. Then watch the wind for that weekend. Wind at your back.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting