Flooded Milo

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Flooded Milo

Postby NJGilbert » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:27 am

So I have access to a milo field that got flooded with about 2 feet of water and can't be harvested. With all the crops standing, you can't see that there's water in it until you walk start walking into the field and about 30 yards in you start splashing. Bumped about 10 teal and a few big ducks off of it. I know it will get hammered by the ducks eventually, but I've never hunted a field like this and have a couple questions for anyone familiar with this situation.

Any ideas on concealment? I thought about sitting between rows and bending the stalks to either side of me over my head and zip tying those together. Make a little milo tent. Is this necessary you think?

Can't go trample an open hole or else it's "manipulation" of a crop and "baiting." Birds seem to land anyway though. I'm sure through natural movement and retrieving decoys/birds a hole will get opened in a few hunts.

Any tips from people who hunt this kind of deal more often are welcome.
________________________________________________________________________________________
Never brag on your wife or your dog, or both will do everything they can to embarrass you.
NJGilbert
hunter

Re: Flooded Milo

Postby ADM_Hawk » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:37 pm

Buy plenty of shells and have fun also the feeding ducks will open/expose more surface water
ADM_Hawk
hunter

Postby BBK » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:34 pm

You lucky dog! Sounds like duck heaven!

My suggestion, and take this as you will as I have never been lucky enough to hunt a flooded standing crop field... would be to put a mojo on about a 6' pole so it is above the standing crop, then decoys below it. That should get their attention and bring them to where you want them instead of landing on the other side of the field not even seeing your decoys. You walking out to get your birds, set your decoys, and the birds feeding should open up a nice hole eventually and it will be legal since it was not done on purpose.

I doubt you would need any sort of blind as long as you stand perfectly still and are concealed in front. They should pour right into there without a second thought.

So jealous! :thumbsup:
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:42 am

Just stay low and still in the milo. We shot 40 over the weekend in flooded standing corn. I'd say go trample down a small hole and that'll hopefully get the birds more focused on where you are at. The game warden has better things to worry about than that.
duckman27
hunter

Postby NJGilbert » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:09 am

I am indeed very lucky. I get to trade on my grandfather's name in my town, he's a 96 year old retired postal worker who knew/did work for/helped out just about every farmer around. Saying I'm his grandson has opened more doors for deer, pheasant and duck than you'd ever believe. I met the farmer while I was looking at a field next to some of his land and the exchange went something like this...
Him: Well I have a milo field that I won't be harvesting this year that you're welcome to hunt.
Me: That's great, thank you. It's actually easier to hunt ducks in the harvested fields, we do really well on field hunts on the cut corn and milo.
Him: Well I can't harvest it, actually.
Me: Oh? Why is that?
Him: It has about 2 feet of water in it
Me: ...oh...

I like the extension pole idea. I'm more a jerk rig than mojo fan but I run both. If they're flaring I'll adjust my concealment, I'll try just sitting in the rows first (typical duck hunt mantra). Game Warden here is rough and would relish the opportunity to give a ticket for just about anything. I won't give him the chance to do anything, I'll let natural movement open up a hole.
I'll let you know how it goes. Hope to hammer it this weekend with a couple good friends.
________________________________________________________________________________________
Never brag on your wife or your dog, or both will do everything they can to embarrass you.
NJGilbert
hunter

Postby hannibal » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:45 pm

Get a small layout boat and with blind cover on it........D E A D L Y!!!!!

If you can't do that I would recommend you get two pieces of hog panels and create a small blind........we have done that in our standing corn crop before and even if it stands above the top of the corn the birds don't seem to shy from it especially if you cover it with the surrounding vegetation/corn/milo. Overhead cover is absolutely critical. You can try to stand in it and hide but really need some overhead cover IMO.

Triangle with the point of triangle pointed to the sky. Leave ends open and just step out to the side of the blind to shoot. I know it sounds a little goofy but trust me it will work. We put a marsh seat in the blind and would also put a ruff stand in between us........intended for 2 guys and 1 dog really!

Good luck.
hannibal
hunter

Postby neon58 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:23 pm

If you have any use supermag decoys too. Also try not to overhunt it or the birds will either go nocturnal till it gets cold or simply move on somewhere else. :thumbsup: as far as hiding in it you could camo up a little boat or canoe and lay in it or make the hog panel blind like mentioned earlier
neon58
hunter

Postby NJGilbert » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:35 am

I like the cattle panel triangle idea. I just built another blind with some old pasture fence I took out and some dead locust saplings for stakes in a tumbleweed thicket. My worry is that any blind effort will result in the all too common "dark blob" effect. In a well manicured milo field full of straight rows, a blob of cover will probably stand out.

No boat for me, not in the budget. I may drag a makeshift coffin blind in there if it comes to that.
I think I'll just hide in the rows and see how it goes. I've got time to adjust if I find I'm flaring too many birds. Now I need to find a milo colored hat...
NJGilbert
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting