New Birds vs. Local Birds

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

New Birds vs. Local Birds

Postby SquadIrons » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:56 pm

So I see this term being used constantly. How do you know whether or not you are seeing local birds vs migrant birds...aside from them saying "quack...eh". I was told migrant mallards have more orange colored feet.
SquadIrons
hunter

Re: New Birds vs. Local Birds

Postby The Confederate » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:25 am

The local ducks around where I hunt will usually come in as a single or pair. Migrators are in flocks and its been my experience they're a little harder to commit to the decoys.
Mickey Mouse Club Prostaff
The Confederate
hunter

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:40 pm

A duck that nest and raises ducklings in area- well that would be local

Any other duck would have to be migrant

So in my area anything besides a canada goose,wood duck or mottle duck-migrant unless its when we hunt the ponds at local Toys r Us
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby SquadIrons » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:12 pm

The Confederate wrote:The local ducks around where I hunt will usually come in as a single or pair. Migrators are in flocks and its been my experience they're a little harder to commit to the decoys.

I've always found the migrants want nothing to do with my decoys. Any flocks of more than 4 during the later season want nothing to do with my decoys, in most cases. I can get the singles and doubles to drop right in.
SquadIrons
hunter

Postby mojo coot » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:27 am

I have also herd that too about the feet and the reason that i herd was because they are getting the blood flowing and it brings the colorsout so thats what i go off of
mojo coot
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:57 am

When you hear "new" vs "local" down here in South Louisiana, most are probably referring to birds that have been in the area long enough to know the drill and avoid blinds as "locals". While "new birds" are either fresh migrants or birds shifted into the area by weather events that are generally easier to work.

When an old Cajun would feel a bird's breast bone and find it sharp, he'd smile, make a shaving motion and happily proclaim, "Like a razor." That wasn't because the bird wasn't fat on rice, yet, but because it meant new, gullible birds had migrated in.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting