Great Opening Day Story

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Great Opening Day Story

Postby youngoilguy » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:16 pm

Ohio opener 10/19/13....

My buddy, my dog and I got to our public hunting spot very early to be where we wanted to. The woodies started flying right on time with shooting light. We had some steady action and I grabbed my limit by 930 and he had 2 by then also. The woodies basically stopped flying around then and we started waiting for the mallards, which we are lucky to get 1 early in the season/first week. They just aren't around. Around 10 a small flock of mallards were spotted. We called them down and my buddy was able to drop a drake, I whiffed. We were thrilled. Around 1015 another 4 mallards came in and I dropped a drake and he dropped a hen. He yelled "I'm out" and so was I when a hen was trying to climb out of our range. I quickly grabbed a round from my chest holder dropped it in the gun and with it, dropped the escaping hen at about 40 yards. My dog grabbed the drake and then my hen. When the hen came back she was banded!!!! My first! Then we went looking for his hen and found her in the button brush. She too was banded!!!! His first. We have been hunting waterfowl for approximately 15 years, 5 or 6 where we were today, never even laid eyes on a banded bird. The bands were likely from this year as the birds looked to be young. Additionally, the bands still had some hot pink paint on them. When I called it in they said they did not have the band info yet. Anyways, pretty neat story, thought I'd share.

Here's a pic.
DSCN4205.JPG

DSCN4206.JPG
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Re: Great Opening Day Story

Postby Cajun1085 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:09 pm

Nice hunt, congrats!
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Re: Great Opening Day Story

Postby matt9966 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:22 am