Wood duck scouting

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Wood duck scouting

Postby dutzk » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:59 pm

I found a wood duck roost. I know not to hunt the roost but I have hunted the same lake but the opposite side. I get a few woodies to look at my decoys, a few to commit. Shot a limit one night, 2 geese the next, another woodie the next weekend. 10 minutes after shooting time ends, 200 plus woodies pile into a bay. I have tried to watch where they go in the morning, but they leave before I can even see them. My question is, how do I find the feeding spot they go to during the day? One of the wood ducks I shot had 6 acorns in it. I guess that's my first clue. Thanks for the suggestions.
dutzk
Newb

Re: Wood duck scouting

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:39 pm

Beyond finding where they are going during the day not much choice. I know our woodies can/will travel miles. Have found that on nasty days,raining/cloudy/windy woodies tend to fly to roost earlier-may can catch them 1 evening? Flashearth/google earth in the direction they coming from may lead to possibilities. Check it out good luck!
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby NyDuckMan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:45 am

You were right on top of it when you pulled out those acorns.

Go find yourself some oak trees on the edge of some flooded timber, or a river, or a pond nestled amongst oak trees in a forest, needless to say you'll find your wood ducks there.
**2014 - 2015**
2 - Canada Goose
5 - Pheasants
NyDuckMan
hunter

Postby matt9966 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:41 am

NyDuckMan wrote:
Go find yourself some oak trees on the edge of some flooded timber, or a river, or a pond nestled amongst oak trees in a forest, needless to say you'll find your wood ducks there.

could not agree more!
matt9966
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting