Decoy spread Question

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Decoy spread Question

Postby matt9966 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:57 pm

Quick question regarding my decoy spread - How would you set your decoy spread up in an area described below?

I have attached a picture of a slough I am planning to hunt. This slough is about a mile off the missouri river and is surrounded by ag fields. this section is about 100 yards or so long and roughly 20 yards across. the depth is about 3 - 4 inches of water throughout

as for my spread - I am thinking about using the following decoys: 18 mallards, 6 teal, 3 wood duck, 2 baby mojos. I think ill put half of my mallard dekes on either side of a 25 yard hole in the middle. Teal and wood ducks spreadout in this hole.

do you guys think this would be too many dekes and a proper set up? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Attachments
slough.JPG
matt9966
hunter

Re: Decoy spread Question

Postby BBK » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:12 pm

Line that mud/water line and hide on shore. Stick some in the mud, and some in the water no more than 10' off the edge. Then a pair (hen and drake) about 5 yds out from your decoys right in front of you. The birds should suck right into that pair.

Forget the woodies, forget the teal, stick one mojo right along the waters edge with the rest of your decoys to gain attention. You have a very natural looking area, don't make a "traditional" spread that the birds have seen 1000 times. Make a natural one.

From the looks of it, your shots are going to be long to begin with. No need to put your decoys out even further. :thumbsup:
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby matt9966 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:24 pm

BBK,

Thank you so much!! I'll definitely be implementing this strategy opening morning (11/3)!

As a relatively newbie to duck hunting I really appreciate your help and this site! I have been duck hunting 4 years now but there is SOOO much more I need to and can learn.

Thanks again
matt9966
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:13 am

This is where I would use my full bodies on the mud bank with a couple dozen floater just a ways out.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby matt9966 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:36 am

dakotashooter2 wrote:This is where I would use my full bodies on the mud bank with a couple dozen floater just a ways out.

I only have 6 full body dekes- I like the idea of using them as well in this spread arrangement. hopefully that would suffice

Additional question I just thought of (sorry for all the q's) When placing dekes or full bodies in/around the bank, do you try and cover up your foot prints near the decoys? And if so do you just try and smooth it out the best you can?

Thanks again for all advice

matt
matt9966
hunter

Postby BBK » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:51 am

I take one path to the water and get in the water. I walk the water to put out fullbodies/resters so there are no footprints in the mud. Then I drop a couple where I entered the water. Birds are used to seeing footprints around the waters edge from deer and other wildlife, so it won't hurt too much.
BBK
hunter

Postby jpeterson117 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:27 pm

BBK wrote:I take one path to the water and get in the water. I walk the water to put out fullbodies/resters so there are no footprints in the mud. Then I drop a couple where I entered the water. Birds are used to seeing footprints around the waters edge from deer and other wildlife, so it won't hurt too much.

I do the same thing when setting decoys in the swamp. I try not to walk straight out from the spot I plan to shoot from. Usually 20-40 yards to either side.
jpeterson117
hunter

Postby BBK » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:42 pm

Also try to walk in an angle to the water. It might not make a big deal, but just about every deer/coyote track I have seen walks to the water at an angle. Might look more natural.
BBK
hunter

Postby greenster » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:43 pm

:lol3: Make that water muddy. makes it look like them decoys are doing work. Plus it's a easy spotted section from the air.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby xtrema13 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:37 am

I would probably say use more full body's then floaters to prevent them from finishing too far out.

Sent from my PH-2
xtrema13
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting