Hunting Steep River Banks

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Hunting Steep River Banks

Postby carl1783 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:00 pm

Hey guys, I've grown up hunting in corn fields and calm shallow water in ID. I now live in Eastern WA and have scouted the Snake river near where I live and found some decent spots. The water is calmish in these inlets and coves but the river has steep rocky banks and after 5-10 feet out it is too deep to wade. The water is big and has a very strong current out past these inlets. I have no boat or dog.

My question is what is my best option in my situation? I need to drop ducks close to shore so I can get them, otherwise I'm not killing ducks I can't retrieve. I have 18 mallard deeks, even mix of hens, drakes, feeders, resters etc. My buddy has a float tube I could borrow, but any other suggestions?
13/14
Mallard: 6
Geese: 2
carl1783
hunter

Re: Hunting Steep River Banks

Postby scruggs12 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:35 pm

carl1783 wrote:Hey guys, I've grown up hunting in corn fields and calm shallow water in ID. I now live in Eastern WA and have scouted the Snake river near where I live and found some decent spots. The water is calmish in these inlets and coves but the river has steep rocky banks and after 5-10 feet out it is too deep to wade. The water is big and has a very strong current out past these inlets. I have no boat or dog.

My question is what is my best option in my situation? I need to drop ducks close to shore so I can get them, otherwise I'm not killing ducks I can't retrieve. I have 18 mallard deeks, even mix of hens, drakes, feeders, resters etc. My buddy has a float tube I could borrow, but any other suggestions?

Don't take this wrong, but you need a boat. If you know you won't be able to easily retrieve birds, why take the chance. Get a cheap canoe, tie it to shore with long rope so you can fight the current back. Doesn't sound like a spot you should even attempt without.
scruggs12
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting