Fooling Locals

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Fooling Locals

Postby A_Winnie » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:29 pm

Are there any tips or tricks you guys use to fool some of the local duck into coming to check out your spread so you are able to get some shots off or is it impassible to get them stubborn ass ducks to fly near you?
2014-2015 Season
A_Winnie
hunter

Re: Fooling Locals

Postby greenster » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:10 pm

:huh: Talking about those white ducks at the park?
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NyDuckMan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:15 am

You need to basically jump shoot them via canoe or wading through a swamp. If you take your time and are patient, you'll be successful. if you swing for the fences, you'll just end up wasting ammo.
**2014 - 2015**
3 - Wood Ducks
4 - Canada Goose
5 - Pheasants
1 - Crow
NyDuckMan
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:55 am

Sure there are. But educating more hunters to them can only dull their effectiveness.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby fowlhabit4 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:14 am

do something odd, new, weird even. I have ran 1 magnum decoy before and shot ducks. Birds are not used to seeing that in the hunting pools. They see 3 dozen decoys and 2 mojos every day. I watch everybody, see what they are doing. If they are calling alot, I put down the calls. go to a whistle. I have heard of guys putting out a swan decoy. Or small group of honkers. Think outside the box..
fowlhabit4
hunter

Postby side-slippin » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:07 pm

Stop trying to fool them into landing where you want them to land; you set up where they want to be.
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby fowlhabit4 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:32 pm

side-slippin wrote:Stop trying to fool them into landing where you want them to land; you set up where they want to be.

\
MOST IMPORTANT!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
fowlhabit4
hunter

Postby ILwaterfowler15 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:51 pm

side-slippin wrote:Stop trying to fool them into landing where you want them to land; you set up where they want to be.

This ^^
ILwaterfowler15
hunter

Postby cwsmith » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:39 pm

bingo!
13-14 Season

40 mallards
14 GWT
13 pin
10 spoony
10 buff
9 wigeon
8 rgnk
6 woodie
6 gad
5 barrow's ge
3 merg
3 ruddy
2 l scaup
1 g scaup
1 comm ge
1 can
TOTAL DUCKS = 132

77 canada
4 snow
2 speck
TOTAL GEESE = 83

TOTAL WATERFOWL = 215
cwsmith
hunter

Postby Spunky » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:43 pm

This isn't always possible. If that was the case they would all be dead very quickly. Local birds are the only birds I get to shoot anymore. Flight birds are few and far between.

The first thing is put down the call. How often do you hear the locals calling like they are trying to win a contest? They don't, a few quacks maybe a high ball, short and sweet and that's it.

Leave the big spreads at home. Locals usually come in small groups, a half dozen is more than enough. The only time i get the larger flocks is when all the small ponds are frozen.

Play the weather card, depending upon where you live the worst the weather the better the hunting is.

Stay away from the so called hot spots in the swamp or lake. The more out of the way a place is the better the shooting can be, the ducks have been accostumed to hunters being in a certain spot during the season.

Use your set up to your advantage. If you shoot better at right to left shots, set up so any shot that you get will be right to left.

Don't expect limits, one or two birds can be a great day when shooting locals.
Spunky
hunter

Postby LETEMWORK21 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:41 pm

Here's a great idea! My guess is your using 3 inch shells or 2 3/4 right? Use 3 1/2s reaaaaaallly reach up there on them damn locals there never gonna land in anyone's spread so might as well try em! :thumbsup:
Jack it up, fat chicks can't jump!
LETEMWORK21
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting