Spread changes for high wind day

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

Spread changes for high wind day

Postby Sclf » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:01 pm

The other morning we had a stiff wind blowing a cold front through. It was blowing 20-25. The ducks weren't acting like I wanted them too (haha, surprise surprise.) wind was coming from NE and my blind faced west. I usually like the wind at my back it just wasn't possible to accomplish that. So we were shooting crossing shots. Anything y'all do differently in high wind situations?
Sclf
hunter

Re: Spread changes for high wind day

Postby Stish85 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:59 am

Personally on high wind days I set my spread closer than I would normally and I space my decoys out more. My reasons for doing so are:

A. With stiff wind when the birds flair they get out of range very quickly and having them closer when they flair provides a better follow up shot.

B. Ducks often have a harder time landing in stiff wind and i find have my spread more open allows then more "landing zones"

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Stish85
hunter

Postby whtelk » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:54 am

Stish85 wrote:Personally on high wind days I set my spread closer than I would normally and I space my decoys out more. My reasons for doing so are:

A. With stiff wind when the birds flair they get out of range very quickly and having them closer when they flair provides a better follow up shot.

B. Ducks often have a harder time landing in stiff wind and i find have my spread more open allows then more "landing zones"

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Very good advice. Wind will really help because the birds are concerned about controlled landing.
whtelk
hunter

Postby BBK » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:36 am

I bring the decoys in close and do small groups bunched real close together. Windy and cold means birds naturally hunker up close together. Every decoy 3' apart is a huge red DO NOT ENTER sign for migrating birds.

You may not get any to land, but they should swing you close enough for a shot. Hunting with the wind in your face stinks.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby Sclf » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:22 pm

Thanks for the advice. I have a good and bad hunts in heavy wind. Sometimes I wonder if these birds find a safe calm place to hunker down then there's no reason for them to leave. Of course I've been in that place they thought was safe and calm and had fantastic hunts. Unfortunately that wasn't the case the other day.
Sclf
hunter

Postby BBK » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:45 pm

We usually do great on high wind days as long as the wind doesn't have any east in it. Our blind faces west, so a cross wind or a wind at our back is great and we can finish birds. But anything from the east is terrible, passing shots at best.

Another thing you can do if its NE is to play for a north wind and hope the wind stays pretty much north. :thumbsup:
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting