Another first. Got a Gadwall on Saturday!

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Another first. Got a Gadwall on Saturday!

Postby hockymvp » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:40 pm

I'm somewhat new. Some of you know this. Been posting my firsts. On Saturday we downed six Ducks. We got Gadwalls, a Widgeon, and a Mallard. I personally shot a Gadwall, and a Mallard that day.

The first picture is of all the Ducks. The second one is my two.
hockymvp
hunter

Re: Another first. Got a Gadwall on Saturday!

Postby hockymvp » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:41 pm

For some reason it cut off the last Duck in the group picture. It's a Gadwall.
hockymvp
hunter

Postby BlakePhelps » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:16 pm

I personally love shooting Gadwall. They seem to decoy so easily. I've hunted waterfowl for about 6 years and I hadn't shot one until last season and since then the group of guys and I have killed good numbers of Gadwall. We shot 4 this past weekend so maybe they're be more of these beautiful birds in your future!
BlakePhelps
hunter

Postby hockymvp » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:00 pm

Yeah, they did decoy pretty nice. Six came in. They made a huge turn around our lake, and we dropped four of them. I hope I get more. Are they tasty?
hockymvp
hunter

Postby BlakePhelps » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:18 am

I'm not a big fan of any wild bird other than peasant but I'm sure there are are recipes out there. I normally soak the breasts in water to get the blood out of the breast and then grind up the meat and make jerky. Or let my father cook it!
BlakePhelps
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:44 am

Ahh. Trying to hide the barrel sticker on the stock there. Who is that you work for there. I can't read the big white sticker there.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby hockymvp » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:14 am

I'm associated with a group of guys here on the front range who are trying to start a guide business. Hopefully we can set up a relationship with Mojo in the future. Don't work for them yet though!
hockymvp
hunter

Postby LETEMWORK21 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:13 pm

Gadwalls either do it on the first two passes or they won't do it at all.
Jack it up, fat chicks can't jump!
LETEMWORK21
hunter

Postby BBK » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:57 pm

Put some oil on that gun!
BBK
hunter

Postby hockymvp » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:50 pm

It's my buddies gun. I've oiled it for him because I couldn't stand the rust. He doesn't care though. I have an old S&W 96A I think it is, and a new 870. Mine are shiny. I'm obsessed with cleaning my guns.
hockymvp
hunter

Postby robquacker » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:01 am

Just my second season and by myself on Sat. First shot I've taken this season...10 mins before sunrise and I'm settled in not really ready for action (gun loaded though!) and 3 Gadwalls come over the top into my spread and surprise me. I shoulder my gun on my chest (nice), fired and got one. Felt good but should've had 2. Better uno then nada. Not sure how to upload the pic.
robquacker
hunter

Postby BlakePhelps » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:28 am

robquacker wrote:Just my second season and by myself on Sat. First shot I've taken this season...10 mins before sunrise and I'm settled in not really ready for action (gun loaded though!) and 3 Gadwalls come over the top into my spread and surprise me. I shoulder my gun on my chest (nice), fired and got one. Felt good but should've had 2. Better uno then nada. Not sure how to upload the pic.

1st you're not supposed to shoot 10 minutes before shooting light. Secondly, you're not supposed to have your gun loaded before shooting light and lastly you supposed to shoulder your gun to your shoulder. Just a few tips to keep you out of trouble and safe.
BlakePhelps
hunter

Postby robquacker » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:21 am

Blake, actually in Texas the shooting hours are from one-half hour before sunrise to sunset. I realize I shouldered the gun wrong...it was just slightly off my shoulder in this case, so I was just highlighting my error in light of actually hitting the target. I'm always open for coaching though.
robquacker
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:37 pm

BlakePhelps wrote:
robquacker wrote:Just my second season and by myself on Sat. First shot I've taken this season...10 mins before sunrise and I'm settled in not really ready for action (gun loaded though!) and 3 Gadwalls come over the top into my spread and surprise me. I shoulder my gun on my chest (nice), fired and got one. Felt good but should've had 2. Better uno then nada. Not sure how to upload the pic.

1st you're not supposed to shoot 10 minutes before shooting light. Secondly, you're not supposed to have your gun loaded before shooting light and lastly you supposed to shoulder your gun to your shoulder. Just a few tips to keep you out of trouble and safe.

30 min before sunrise to sunset here in ca. I usually don't shoot then because you can't tell what it is half the time anyways. I will pick off some of those early flights of teal in the dark.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby Ga ducker » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:56 pm

Awesome bird! I just recently passed up a mount on a stud gadwall (I wasn't thinking and I'm an idiot for not doing it. Shot My biggest most beautiful gaddy yet and didn't mount him because I "wanted to wait." Boy do I feel stupid now!
Ga ducker
hunter

Postby BlakePhelps » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:58 pm

Sgtstadanko707 wrote:
BlakePhelps wrote:

30 min before sunrise to sunset here in ca. I usually don't shoot then because you can't tell what it is half the time anyways. I will pick off some of those early flights of teal in the dark.

Miss understood you. Indiana is set up the same way. Hows the chest feeling? I've done that once before while goose hunting and it put me right back into my layout blind.
BlakePhelps
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting