Help me setup

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

Help me setup

Postby Boykinboy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:29 pm

Novice duck hunter here. Got invited to come shoot duckd with him on his deer club.. problem is neither of us know enough about waterfowl. This pond is roughly 10 acres, with a pretty big swamp. I have a 14' jon boat, so we could get setup in the pond nestled up to an island, or shoot from land and retrieve the ducks via boat, or walk in the swamp. Theirs ducks there, jusr want to know how to kill em. I have 1 dozen mallards and im ginna get more puddler decoys.
Attachments
Screenshot_2013-11-19-22-06-41.png
Screenshot_2013-11-19-22-06-55.png
Screenshot_2013-11-19-22-07-20.png
Boykinboy
hunter

Re: Help me setup

Postby duckman27 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:52 pm

How far is the next lake from there? It doesn't really look like an area that has a lot of traffic so I'd venture to say that you'll be hunting strictly what birds were there the day before. You probably ought to go out there the day before and see where the ducks are at on the lake and set up there. ALSO, this is probably the most important thing. DON'T CALL. The ducks are comfortable being on the lake so don't do anything unnatural to spook them when they come back in. Depending on how many ducks are on the lake, I'd say don't even put out all dozen decoys. Make sure you don't bunch all you decoys up too. Put a couple small groups out (2-3, 3-4) off to the sides but in a visible area and then maybe a bigger group of 5 or so right in front of you. Make sure you keep the decoys in range though. Looking at the tree cover around the lake you would probably be best off sitting on the shore right at the edge of the water in cover or standing in the water near cover if you can get out a little ways. You'll probably want to have the boat at the truck to retrieve the birds after you finish up if the lake is deep. Good Luck :thumbsup:
duckman27
hunter

Postby Boykinboy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:00 pm

There's a pond of similiar size a half mile as the duck flies. Im pretty sure the is deep, so not wade-able. But my boat has no blind, thinking we might just motor up to one of thr islands. Would yall put out mallard drakes and hens, or one over the other?
Boykinboy
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:37 pm

If you take a boat out you'll spook the birds when they see it. I've looked at the lake on google maps and it looks like you'd be better off making a blind with some limbs and hunting from the waters edge or hunting from cover on the shoreline. The north shore looks like you're best bet since there aren't trees right up to the edge of the water which will allow for the ducks to work better. Any decoys will work but just keep them set up like I said in my last post
duckman27
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting