Effects of full moon

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Effects of full moon

Postby Sclf » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:18 pm

Do y'all notice slower hunting on full moons? I know it all depends on so much, weather, available food, wind, etc. I've always heard that ducks feed all night with the moon full and fly less in the mornings. Im pretty sure I've witnessed this affect also, but it's hard to blame slow hunts on any one thing.
Sclf
hunter

Re: Effects of full moon

Postby BlakePhelps » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:22 am

I believe it changes their normal feeding habits. Like you said they are able to feed and fly all night. The same is for deer except deer don't fly south.
BlakePhelps
hunter

Postby ILwaterfowler15 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:28 pm

I started keeping track of moon phases a few years ago and our best days our when a waning/ waxing gibbous moon phase is present. Our slowest days our usually those when a full moon in present.
ILwaterfowler15
hunter

Postby ducking&diving » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:36 pm

I would hunt my swamp on the full moon versus my big water areas. seems like the woodies get on their path come hell or high water. big water seems like the birds do raft and feed at night and with no major weather to move them they stay put and may not move til around mid day. just an observation.
Springing Flying Fish are good practice in the off season
ducking&diving
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting