Another guess my hybrid thread

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

Another guess my hybrid thread

Postby erp10 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:41 pm

What do you guys think this Mallard is crossed with...black duck...Gadwall? What's your guess?
Attachments
20131121_111135-1.jpg
20131121_111122-1.jpg
20131121_111112-1.jpg
erp10
hunter

Re: Another guess my hybrid thread

Postby send the dog » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:02 pm

gadwall/mallard
send the dog
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:18 am

That"s crazy...!

Unless mine eyes deceive me, it looks like Mallard speculum on one wing and Gaddie speculum on the other... :eek:

That's nuts.
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby robquacker » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:30 am

How's that one count against your limit??
robquacker
hunter

Postby erp10 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:23 pm

Yeah the one wing had just a slight white bar on the speculum. Not sure how it counts toward my pa limit but I wasn't close to it. He would a been at the taxidermist if I didn't have two birds getting done and one in the freeze....he still tasted good :thumbsup:
erp10
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:06 pm

robquacker wrote:How's that one count against your limit??

In NY, it's a duck. It goes against the total and does not apply to species specific restrictions. We get a number of black duck/mallard crosses up here, so I asked that question of two different ECOs. Both stated that, "it's a duck!"

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Spottail » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:51 pm

Not trying to burst your bubble, but it's not a hybrid with anything.

It's simply a drake mallard with some genetic issues. I've seen it numerous times, and it's quite common with park mallards, and other ducks with limited genetic diversity.....not that your duck is a park duck.

Some things to remember about hybrid waterfowl:

When a mallard breeds with another bird, the offspring will always display more of the other birds characteristics over the mallard's.
ie: a brewer's duck - mallard/gadwall always has the bill shape and head structure of a gadwall and secondary coverts, primary coverts, and speculum will be much more like a gadwall's.
a mule duck - mallard/pintail always has the blueish bill and head shape of a pintail, and many of the secondary coverts and speculum are pintail driven rather than mallard.

It's the same with members of the mallard complex as well.
Down here in South Carolina we get many mallard/black duck hybrids, but also mallard/mottled duck hybrids along the coast.
The birds always look more black duck, or mottled duck than mallard.

Also, outside of the mallard complex, hybrid waterfowl are sterile. For example, if a mallard breeds with a gadwall hen, their offspring will be sterile, just like a mule horse. They cannot produce children.
Mallards, blacks, mexican ducks, and mottleds can and do produce fertile hybrid offspring, because they are so genetically close and they derive from a direct common ancestor. It's likely that the mallard was the initial bird, and the others evolved to seperate subspecies.

Hope this helps.
teal and tailing reds make life worth living
Spottail
hunter

Postby erp10 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:08 pm

Spottail wrote:Not trying to burst your bubble, but it's not a hybrid with anything.

It's simply a drake mallard with some genetic issues. I've seen it numerous times, and it's quite common with park mallards, and other ducks with limited genetic diversity.....not that your duck is a park duck.

Some things to remember about hybrid waterfowl:

When a mallard breeds with another bird, the offspring will always display more of the other birds characteristics over the mallard's.
ie: a brewer's duck - mallard/gadwall always has the bill shape and head structure of a gadwall and secondary coverts, primary coverts, and speculum will be much more like a gadwall's.
a mule duck - mallard/pintail always has the blueish bill and head shape of a pintail, and many of the secondary coverts and speculum are pintail driven rather than mallard.

It's the same with members of the mallard complex as well.
Down here in South Carolina we get many mallard/black duck hybrids, but also mallard/mottled duck hybrids along the coast.
The birds always look more black duck, or mottled duck than mallard.

Also, outside of the mallard complex, hybrid waterfowl are sterile. For example, if a mallard breeds with a gadwall hen, their offspring will be sterile, just like a mule horse. They cannot produce children.
Mallards, blacks, mexican ducks, and mottleds can and do produce fertile hybrid offspring, because they are so genetically close and they derive from a direct common ancestor. It's likely that the mallard was the initial bird, and the others evolved to seperate subspecies.

Hope this helps.

No bubble bursted at all. What you say makes a lot of sense. Maybe that's why he was the best wild duck I have ever cooked...he had some tame duck in him.
erp10
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:59 am

WOW and you ate it?! psht mistake! that is one of the most unique birds I have seen just because each wing is completely different not even talking the body.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:46 pm

mallard/gadwalll cross

Image GIFSoup
teamoutlaw
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting