Duck Blind etiquette?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

Duck Blind etiquette?

Postby jmill9 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:51 am

There are multiple blinds that are setup on the river I hunt. These are old blinds but still standing. I know other hunt these but, I wasn't sure of the etiquette of hunting a blind on public water like that. I don't like hunting someones blind that isn't mine but, I don't believe the people hunting these built them either. I hunt the hole the blind is setup over so am I essentially encroaching? I don't know what would you guys do?
I may be a redneck but I ain't a hilljack.
jmill9
hunter

Re: Duck Blind etiquette?

Postby blackrock » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:07 am

Public land=public blind= first come first served. Just don't set up close to someone else that's already there. Give people room, for birds to work. The early bird gets the worm so to speak!
blackrock
hunter

Postby jmill9 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:09 am

blackrock wrote:Public land=public blind= first come first served. Just don't set up close to someone else that's already there. Give people room, for birds to work. The early bird gets the worm so to speak!

Ok, thanks I appreciate it. I have always deer hunted and using another persons stand is just not right, so didn't know how this applied.
jmill9
hunter

Postby hockymvp » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:44 pm

Yeah, it's fair game. My buddies, and I build our own blinds at our favorite public spot. We've had a few times where we showed up, and someone else was set up there. If someone beats you to the spot, it doesn't matter if there is a blind or not. You ain't hunting there! We normally just wave, and proceed to a new spot.
hockymvp
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:51 pm

might want to check your state's regulations. I know in some states they have rules If it is a blind that has a spot that is drawn/ lottery'd off the blind is free game to public after 30min before shooting time if owner/ claimant of said blind is not there.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby BBK » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:32 pm

In Iowa on the Miss river you can build a blind. The owners of the blind own the blind, they have until shooting time to arrive at the blind or it is open to the public.. but you DO NOT HUNT SOMEONE ELSE'S BLIND! Even if you show up in the afternoon and there is nobody there, you do not hunt it unless you want your arse whooped. :thumbsup:

That includes pulling your boat blind up next to it!

(no, I am not one of those guys!)

We cannot build blinds on public marshes/ wildlife management areas. Interior rivers are first come first served, but you absolutely do not want to be in someones blind out in the middle of nowhere when they show up to hunt it.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby hockymvp » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:39 pm

I find this post interesting. I've found waterfowl hunters to be some of the nicest people I have ever met. If you are saying you would get your arse kicked because you were hunting a public spot that happened to have a makeshift blind already there, then I'd hate to hunt where you are. Is it too much to ask the other guy to leave first before we start getting into pissing matches? I thought public land was first come first serve. If everyone did that, there would be people building blinds in spots just so they could have it. There would be no reason for people to get private land because "your blind" is now sacred ground. I call b.s.

I personally walked up on a guy from Texas out here hunting in the blind that I built SEVERAL times due to rising waters here in Colorado. Know what I did? Asked him if he got anything. Then asked if he would mind me joining. We put our spread together, and got a few birds. Then we exchanged numbers, and decided we would go out again. Now that is friendly hunting. More people should practice it.
hockymvp
hunter

Postby BBK » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:54 pm

There are no make shift blinds here, most are 16X8 minimum and well built. One fella here has a blind that shoots 14 guys. Guys put hundreds of dollars a year in their blinds, when you have a freeloader that tries to beat a guy to his own blind is when the crap hits the fan. There are fights every single year, and guys go to jail every opener for shooting at each other over blinds.

The etiquette around here is you build it you hunt it. If you don't have the time or will to spend 2 weeks building a blind to claim a spot then you are SOL.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby Got5dux » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:03 am

Look... avoid all confontation and consult the blind laws in your area! I can tell you if dont you could be inviting trouble for not only the blind owners but the conservation officers that patrol that area. Some states licenese blinds thru a long several month period with all kinds of pain in the butt regulations attached.
Got5dux
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:18 pm

This is as complex as you want to make it....
If you are on a state river...and there is a history of blinds that are every few hundred yards....every year, people show up and thatch them, then it's pretty much the early guy who drives down the road looking for an empty parking spot...it is what it is and I can't see anyone getting bent about that.
If you are in a situation where you are in the New Jersey marsh system, or the Great South Bay of Long Island..and some father and son spent a month building a plywood blind with a roof and bench and etc...and it's one in the middle of nothing...
You're gonna pull that public land rhetoric on those guys??
That's not cool.
At best, if I were to approach the blind...I would scope it and maybe do an afternoon hunt...then I would leave a note thanking the guys with my cell
It is very different in different areas.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:19 pm

Slack Tide wrote:This is as complex as you want to make it....

Well, maybe yes and maybe no. In New York anyway;
"•Blinds placed in lake waters must be labeled with the owner's name and address.
•Blinds must be removed from lake waters no later than March 15."

That would indicate at least some level of ownership and or responsibility. On the other hand, there have been some "Blind Wars" on the Lower Lake in Yaphank, to the point of having to call the authorities in the middle of the night.

On the other hand, I do like this suggestion:
Slack Tide wrote:At best, if I were to approach the blind...I would scope it and maybe do an afternoon hunt...then I would leave a note thanking the guys with my cell.

In a couple of the places I hunt, there are some fairly makeshift blinds built along the shore. Basically, it's first come first served. Most of the guys in the area are pretty decent about it. But every once in a while some bung hole will show up. Had one opening day last year. A couple of guys were set up in one of the usual places and three idiots from out of town show up and set up 40 yards away from them. When I walked past them I mentioned that there was another party pretty close and I was told, "screw them, we were here first." When I walked past the second group, who I knew, I mentioned to them that there were a couple of yahoos over there. They said they knew and they'd take care of it. I don't know what they did, but the out of towners never showed up again all season.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Drakenstien » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:34 pm

Make your own blind, someone put a lot of work into making that blind. Not including the prices of lumber these days. They can't claim spots but don't use there blind. That's my thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drakenstien
hunter

Postby Got5dux » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:32 am

Look... heres my thoughts. If nothing else you need to consult your blind laws for the area you are hunting. In In Several states these blinds have been long sought after and coveted to the point of being willed generation to generation. There is also a ton of leg work,red tape and deadlines in some states just to have the privalge to erect a blind on certain waters. Do yourself a favor and really make sure thst where you intend to hunt is kosher. If you just go jumping in a seemingly abandon blind you may be inviteing a visit from an irate permit holder or a GW to enforce the law.
Got5dux
hunter

Postby jmill9 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:13 am

UPDATE:

I have not hunted in this blind, just the pothole that this blind is setup on. I got there Saturday evening and as I was setting up my decoys I heard a small outboard come in then take back off and they went over to another blind ~100 yards away. It seems as these blinds are first come first serve. The guy never confronted me and gave me some room. Seems as if I would hunt the blind it wouldn't be a big deal. I usually scout the pothole as I am walking in just to make sure no one else is already there.
jmill9
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting