Canada Goose decoys in Mallard floater spread

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Canada Goose decoys in Mallard floater spread

Postby xtrema13 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:18 pm

Anyone have any advice on mixing Canada Goose decoys into a duck floater spread, starting to get later in the season and I'm looking to change it up, I usually put the goose decoys in a group off from the duck decoys. Thanks!

Sent from my PH-2
xtrema13
hunter

Re: Canada Goose decoys in Mallard floater spread

Postby imboray » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:38 pm

I'd keep them seperate, but if possible add more goose decoys. Mallards love em
imboray
hunter

Postby surfrat » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:35 pm

I put some teals right with my geese....They love to steal food from the geese....I keep other ducks a distance away. I also add coots outside the geese in tight bunches of three to five....It helps keep birds from landing outside the spread and looks good.
surfrat
hunter

Postby Fatback » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:11 pm

Was watching black ducks cruise right into a flock of geese yesterday... They diverted from their flight path to drop in on the geese, and landed couple meters from them

Sent from the smoker
Saying things taste "gamey" is a sign of poor taste
Fatback
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:12 am

When hunting on open water we use 12 mallards, 4 ringnecks, and 14 Canada geese. Lots of times the ducks land in the geese but, there are alot of geese in my area. I would recommend it.
Good Luck in the field-Mike.
Mike657
hunter

Postby tywhite87 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:09 pm

I usually keep them separate but last weekend I mixed them 8 geese in the middle, 2 mallards in the geese and 3 mallards flanking each outside edge of the geese. Birds worked it just beautifully, killed my 2 geese and three mallards without ever blowing a call... only thing that wasn't impressed was the 4 GWT that gave me a huge FU flyby.
tywhite87
hunter

Postby mysticwolf » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:13 pm

We went out Monday and put 15 geese decoys out with around 20 duck duck decoys about 15 yards away, we got 4 mallards and the all wanted to land in with the geese, so put them close to you, we have learned over the years this works really well in the late season
Love to watch um back peddel when the blind opens up
mysticwolf
hunter

Postby blackrock » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:00 pm

image.jpg
Mallards love goose decoys. 25 Greenheads, 3 misc. and 15 geese. Some of the ducks slid off the pile...... We had 4-5 dozen goose decoys and maybe 10 duck decoys.
blackrock
hunter

Postby ILwaterfowler15 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:19 pm

We always run goose decoys in our spread. Our typical layout is 6 dozen duck floaters, 1 dozen land ducks (full bodies), 3 dozen goose floaters, and 3 dozen land geese (full bodies and shells). We use a lot of rester/ sleeping decoys to simulate a loafing spot. Our goose decoys are always positioned upwind of the duck decoys. Since running this spread we kill a lot more geese and even more ducks, shoot the ducks will often land right in with geese decoys. With our 4 man crew we can usually set up the spread in 45 min.
ILwaterfowler15
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting