Layout boat puddlers

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Layout boat puddlers

Postby blackrock » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:57 pm

image.jpg
Just wanted to clear something up! Before I bought this boat, everything I read and everything guys told me was that puddlers really wouldn't decoy in to a layout boat. Every hunt we have had has been like this! Blue skies, calm or stormy it doesn't matter. After limiting today, I laid and watched 20 more Greenheads come right in. Make sure to get a low profile layout boat. Thanks to Kelly Pope at Lake Bonneville for the best season of my life!
blackrock
hunter

Re: Layout boat puddlers

Postby sodfather » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:20 pm

If I didn't see it, I wouldn't have believed it. Those must be some dumb ducks.. Congrats must be a lot of fun shooting green heads like that.
sodfather
hunter

Postby RShockley » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:22 pm

Looks like some nice hunting. I've been think about getting a layout boat for hunting a large lake here in Texas. Still just a though and I really don't know what all would be involved with hunting out of one. Good to se puddle ducks still decoy to one.
RShockley
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:03 pm

image.jpg
Well guys, today was as good or better than yesterday. Limits for our group, 25 Greenheads, 2 incidental hens and 1 Wigeon. Oh and 15 Geese! We just sat and watched them work after finishing. As far as our ducks being dumb, I think they would resent that insinuation. We are now hunting northern birds, big, heavy, bright orange feet, but this worked just as well on the locals first weekend.
blackrock
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:42 am

image.jpg
More puddlers and banded honkers in the Bonne!
blackrock
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:34 pm

Nice bands, and i love the decoy on the layout boat :yes:. I always thought layout boat hunting would be cool, but I dont think anybody I know no one I know would want to sit in a boat and wait for me to down birds.Though they might consider taking turns. Good luck on the water -Mike.
Good Luck in the field-Mike.
Mike657
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:37 pm

Sorry I repeated a sentence up there :lol:. How deep is the water.
Mike657
hunter

Postby Uncle.Lou » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:44 pm

What state are you in?
Uncle.Lou
hunter

Postby blackrock » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:09 am

Mike, we hunt anywhere from 2 feet to 12 feet, it doesn't matter. The upper ends of these reservoirs are flat and generally shallow. A lot of my friends body boot. Our decoys have pretty long anchor lines, up to 16 feet and we can add on. We use some long lines for duck decoys too. Layout hunting is a team effort, my son and I take turns hunting and running the jetboat. It can be pretty efficient! The tender driver has to run in and scoop up the birds with a fish net, especially if its breezy, so they don't drift far. Uncle Lou, we live out west, in Idaho. We just had the arctic blast, like a lot of the country so the open water area is pretty limited now! We will move to the river at lower elevation next.
blackrock
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:51 am

Thanks for your reply my dad and i are gonna try this sometime. Keep up the good work-Mike
Mike657
hunter

Postby Uncle.Lou » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:06 pm

blackrock wrote:Mike, we hunt anywhere from 2 feet to 12 feet, it doesn't matter. The upper ends of these reservoirs are flat and generally shallow. A lot of my friends body boot. Our decoys have pretty long anchor lines, up to 16 feet and we can add on. We use some long lines for duck decoys too. Layout hunting is a team effort, my son and I take turns hunting and running the jetboat. It can be pretty efficient! The tender driver has to run in and scoop up the birds with a fish net, especially if its breezy, so they don't drift far. Uncle Lou, we live out west, in Idaho. We just had the arctic blast, like a lot of the country so the open water area is pretty limited now! We will move to the river at lower elevation next.

Good for you guys, I only asked what state because of the way your layout boat looks. Shoot alot of layout on Lake Erie. Be safe and good luck. :thumbsup:
Uncle.Lou
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:55 pm

Uncle.Lou wrote:
blackrock wrote:Mike, we hunt anywhere from 2 feet to 12 feet, it doesn't matter. The upper ends of these reservoirs are flat and generally shallow. A lot of my friends body boot. Our decoys have pretty long anchor lines, up to 16 feet and we can add on. We use some long lines for duck decoys too. Layout hunting is a team effort, my son and I take turns hunting and running the jetboat. It can be pretty efficient! The tender driver has to run in and scoop up the birds with a fish net, especially if its breezy, so they don't drift far. Uncle Lou, we live out west, in Idaho. We just had the arctic blast, like a lot of the country so the open water area is pretty limited now! We will move to the river at lower elevation next.

Good for you guys, I only asked what state because of the way your layout boat looks. Shoot alot of layout on Lake Erie. Be safe and good luck. :thumbsup:

Trust me it's just as effective on the big pond, I can attest to that!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby blackrock » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:51 pm

image.jpg
Quack quack.....
blackrock
hunter

Layout boat puddlers

Postby Nelliboy2 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:43 pm

I'd say that's a good spot to drop your rig!

When I'm running looking for birds, I don't wanna stop till I find numbers like that.....only down side is I live in OH so I do a lot more running than hunting. Hahahha

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:51 pm

Yeah we set up about 300 yards from there!
blackrock
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:27 am

One of the best posts I've seen this season :thumbsup: I want one of those bad! We have a homemade one but it's nothing like that!
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:13 pm

image.jpg
Thanks duckmauler! This is the last afternoon of our duck season. We only had an hour and a half on the water before shooting time, so buddy got the nod. Keep in mind, this is mid January, these ducks have been shot at for 3 1/2 months! Bud limited on ducks and had geese landing and swimming 10 feet from him. He ran short on shells, so he had to just video them with his phone as they came right in! I'll post that when I figure out how.....
blackrock
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:09 pm

blackrock wrote:
image.jpg
Thanks duckmauler! This is the last afternoon of our duck season. We only had an hour and a half on the water before shooting time, so buddy got the nod. Keep in mind, this is mid January, these ducks have been shot at for 3 1/2 months! Bud limited on ducks and had geese landing and swimming 10 feet from him. He ran short on shells, so he had to just video them with his phone as they came right in! I'll post that when I figure out how.....

What a great hunt and a great way to end the season!

You can post the video one of two ways.

1) upload it to youtube and post a link.
2) upload it to photobucket and post a IMG code just like you do for pics. If that doesn't work you may have to post a link for it. I think the youtube option will be the easiest.
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby whistlerville » Sun May 25, 2014 5:16 pm

Where did you purchase the layout boat, i.e. what brand name?

Am trying to find a way or ways to get back into the hunt, live in western Washington State, only got out once last fall!
whistlerville
Newb

Postby noweil » Sun May 25, 2014 6:06 pm

Whistlerville, If you read the first post by Blackrock it appears that he has a Lake Bonneville layout boat. This thread is a few months old you may want to pm Blackrock.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby whistlerville » Mon May 26, 2014 2:16 pm

Thanks much Nowell. Missed this part in first article. Guess I was too busy looking at JPG's and wishing I was there!
Any word on number of blocks normally used plus how many honker dek's?
whistlerville
Newb

Postby noweil » Mon May 26, 2014 3:37 pm

whistlerville wrote:Thanks much Nowell. Missed this part in first article. Guess I was too busy looking at JPG's and wishing I was there!
Any word on number of blocks normally used plus how many honker dek's?

You should send Blackrock a PM. They aren't using standard goose floaters. They made floaters out of G&H super mag shells by putting foam pipe insulation around the bottom of the decoys. His floaters are probably 40" long.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon May 26, 2014 6:40 pm

Whistlerville, send me a pm if you want to discuss.....
blackrock
hunter

Postby whistlerville » Tue May 27, 2014 5:33 pm

Greetings Blackrock: I am new to the forum thus need a ask a dumb question, what is PM?
whistlerville
Newb

Postby blackrock » Tue May 27, 2014 5:45 pm

No problem buddy, it means private message. To send one go to your user control panel on the top, click it then find the private message tab. You can also just click on my name next to my post and then select "send a private message". It will send me an email notification, I can also see it and respond just on DHC. Good luck!
blackrock
hunter

Next

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting