Hunting a River?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Hunting a River?

Postby Trout&Duck » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:38 am

So, most of the marshes and smaller lakes where I hunt have frozen up, and I want to get a few more hunts in this season. when I'm looking for a spot on a river what should I look for? I have three spots in mind, one is a small creek flowing into the river, one is an island in the middle of the river, and the third is just a slower stretch of water. The river is anywhere for 40 to 90 yards across. I'm thinking the creek is where I should be, but what do you guys think?
Trout&Duck
hunter

Re: Hunting a River?

Postby White Rock Decoys » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:34 am

The creek or the back side of the island....or where you have seen birds. We've had some great hunts on small rivers late in the year for Canada Geese. It's fun when you get them to drop down into the trees and know they are in BIG trouble! :hammer:
White Rock Decoys
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:24 pm

You sure want to be where the ducks and geese want to be, but the back side of the island sounds like a good starting point. We hunt the Missouri and the islands seem to be the X. If they aren't decoying you can pass shoot them when they come in for a look see. We do not blow them off the roost first thing in the morning and they will come back, but not if you drive them off. Good Luck and Happy Hunting.
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby Theduckguru » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:13 pm

You are still hunting puddle ducks even though you are hunting moving water. They still prefer shallow areas with slow current. Birds typically will fly straight up the river valley and will not follow the bends. So if you set in a bend, you can place yourself outside the flight path.

A wide straight away, large shallow gravel bar withslow current, and an island with a little cover, I am there.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 11 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:41 am

Force Fetch wrote:You sure want to be where the ducks and geese want to be, but the back side of the island sounds like a good starting point. We hunt the Missouri and the islands seem to be the X. If they aren't decoying you can pass shoot them when they come in for a look see. We do not blow them off the roost first thing in the morning and they will come back, but not if you drive them off. Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

What do you do with the boat?
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting