Tips for getting into duck hunting?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Re: Tips for getting into duck hunting?

Postby FFT » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:12 pm

Your gonna need more mentoring than one afternoon with a friend. Waterfowl hunting carries alot of resposibilities including, yourself, other hunters, the birds, and non-hunters. I cant imagine what it would be like to take all that on alone. Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk 2
FFT
hunter

Postby ChasinTail » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:43 pm

FFT wrote:Your gonna need more mentoring than one afternoon with a friend. Waterfowl hunting carries alot of resposibilities including, yourself, other hunters, the birds, and non-hunters. I cant imagine what it would be like to take all that on alone. Good luck.

I understand what your saying. I've been hunting all my life, hunted everything in my area besides waterfowl. Fortunately I had someone teach me how to be ethical with whatever I'm doing. I'm not an idiot. I realize a lot of new guys get out there and sky bust and set up right on top of others, not to mention not having respect for the animal in the first place. Most my age are just wanting to kill something to say they did or because it's the "cool" thing to to do. I'm trying to get into it because I enjoy hunting and being out there.

Obviously I'm far from good at it after a few hunts but I understand the basics. Getting out there alone after I get the calls down wouldn't hurt. Better than not doing it at all, right?
ChasinTail
hunter

Postby FFT » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:22 pm

ChasinTail wrote:
FFT wrote:Your gonna need more mentoring than one afternoon with a friend. Waterfowl hunting carries alot of resposibilities including, yourself, other hunters, the birds, and non-hunters. I cant imagine what it would be like to take all that on alone. Good luck.

I understand what your saying. I've been hunting all my life, hunted everything in my area besides waterfowl. Fortunately I had someone teach me how to be ethical with whatever I'm doing. I'm not an idiot. I realize a lot of new guys get out there and sky bust and set up right on top of others, not to mention not having respect for the animal in the first place. Most my age are just wanting to kill something to say they did or because it's the "cool" thing to to do. I'm trying to get into it because I enjoy hunting and being out there.

Obviously I'm far from good at it after a few hunts but I understand the basics. Getting out there alone after I get the calls down wouldn't hurt. Better than not doing it at all, right?

Nothing more enjoyable than putting together a nice hunt. Im sure you will be fine. The things that come to mind are the close calls ive encountered. Soft mud, rising and falling tides, moon tides, fog, ice, rain, hypothermia, dog hypothermia, lost contact with a group, ice-mud-snow in a barrel, some idiot in the blind with a sling always comes to mind, ferry boats, yahoos, being shot at or over, fearing a jump shooter-shooting my decoys and me, and the list goes on. Its not the harvesting of the fowl that worries me, its the how to stay safe when the crap hits the fan. Good luck out there.

FFT
hunter

Postby Bmaybee » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:08 pm

This year was my first season ever. I read and read and read for almost a year before heading out. There's no shortage of information. Information (and product) overload in my opinion.

My first year I bought waders, and went middle of the road in quality (cabelas). I got 12 mallard decoys and 6 teal. I got a decoy bag. Matte clear coat to hopefully preserve the decoys a bit. I had a lot of previous camo and bags and such.

First trip out i was waaaay overloaded with gear. Subsequent trips i strap the decoys to my back, a fanny pack/handwarmer to my side, and a duck call (i have the cheapo buck gardners you get for free being a DU member, but i only quack anyways).

Ive had a blast, Only got one duck (a canvasback), but it was MY duck. I got it, MY dog retrieved it (whos better than me on most days, I cooked it and I ate it and it was amazing.

What ive really done this year was try to go out to the local refuge on wednesdays, stay out of the way (but now establishing 3-4 "spots" i can rely on) and really just watching the birds fly. No book for reading that.
Bmaybee
hunter

Postby Drakenstien » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:27 pm

Bmaybee wrote:This year was my first season ever. I read and read and read for almost a year before heading out. There's no shortage of information. Information (and product) overload in my opinion.

My first year I bought waders, and went middle of the road in quality (cabelas). I got 12 mallard decoys and 6 teal. I got a decoy bag. Matte clear coat to hopefully preserve the decoys a bit. I had a lot of previous camo and bags and such.

First trip out i was waaaay overloaded with gear. Subsequent trips i strap the decoys to my back, a fanny pack/handwarmer to my side, and a duck call (i have the cheapo buck gardners you get for free being a DU member, but i only quack anyways).

Ive had a blast, Only got one duck (a canvasback), but it was MY duck. I got it, MY dog retrieved it (whos better than me on most days, I cooked it and I ate it and it was amazing.

What ive really done this year was try to go out to the local refuge on wednesdays, stay out of the way (but now establishing 3-4 "spots" i can rely on) and really just watching the birds fly. No book for reading that.

My first season has been just like this. Although I went a lot bigger scale. I kill ducks about 50 percent of the time. Not many usually, 2-4. I started with the du call and now I have several. My best day was the last time I went and I killed 3 wood ducks and 2 teal by myself. Could have killed atleast a 2 man limit by myself. I can't wait for these ducks to come in on this cold streak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drakenstien
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:40 am

I got a tip for you.
Stay outa my yard. :)
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby KRB » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:11 pm