Etiquette Question: Should I be a little upset?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

Etiquette Question: Should I be a little upset?

Postby Cold » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:15 am

I'm only in my second year of hunting ducks seriously, so I'm not sure if I should be as annoyed as I am about how my hunt went down on Saturday...after the blind etiquette thread, I figured I'd ask.

Basically, I was running a bit late in the morning, but still managed to get my complete spread out, and settle into a hiding spot about ten minutes before LST. Around 8am, these two guys and their dog come in from the opposite side of the creek, talking loudly. I thought they might be after pheasants at first, but I can hear them talking about setting up. I specifically hear one of them say, "Someone has a spread right there."

They move about 3-400 yards downstream, and start setting up.

I'm not thrilled at all the noise, but whatever. After about 15-20 minutes of banging decoys around and the dog splashing around in the creek, they quiet down...but leave their blaze orange hats on. The quiet doesn't last, and one of them starts on a call that, even to this lousy caller, sounded more like a kazoo than a bird.

Eventually, a few groups came in, but none came close until a group of three that flew upstream, past them without a second glance, and right as they would pass me, I hit the call. They made a wide high loop around me once, and when I called again they dropped a bit, and started to make another wide loop.

As they looped around, these guys open up on them when their loop takes them closest to their spot...but the ducks are about 80 yards out from me, and at least 200 yards from them. Needless to say, the ducks flare and that was the last decent chance I had all morning.

Once they were gone, I could hear bits and pieces of their loud conversation, and one bit I did catch was, "screw him". So I'm thinking they purposely shot just to keep the ducks from working my spread.

I've never been so POed.

So, am I too upset about it, or is that just part of the game, or what? What could/should I have done?
Cold
hunter

Re: Etiquette Question: Should I be a little upset?

Postby Got5dux » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:51 am

Definatly not cool on their part! But there is really not much you can do about it. I have had expiereances similar to that and the best thing you can do is hope you dont see them out there again. My philosophy is do your best to treat others as you would expect to be treated but some people dont think that way. Sorry for your spoiled day!
Got5dux
hunter

Postby olt d2 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:53 pm

I would have no problem voicing my opinion to them! and with whatever language I feel is fit and to get the point across. years ago I too would have the live and let live mentality with this but not anymore. I don't know if i'm just getting older and crankier or if its the fact that times have changed and most everybody has no ethics or respect for anyone else these days. They only care about what benefits them. It pains me to talk like this but it has become true. The only way to get through to them is to say something.
olt d2
hunter

Postby BBK » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:57 pm

Does your state have regulations against interfering with a hunt? Wearing blaze orange and shooting at ducks working your spread 100 yards out sounds like and open and shut case. The GW would have settled them down a bit.
BBK
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:30 am

I have delt with about the same thing.Thes lazy hunters hunt our duck club every single day of the week and get nothing. Me and my father go on the weekends because of work. They are out there everyday and have all the chances in the world. We have a group of geese landing in our spread about 80 yards away almost in range. They are pissed about getting nothing so they blow their loud *** call that sounds like a broken record. then they shoot and the geese flare frome our spread.The geese were at least 250 yards from them.
Good Luck in the field-Mike.
Mike657
hunter

Postby Hugatree » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:57 pm

Sounds like a normal day of Public hunting. This is the rule rather than the exception for me.
Metamucil Elite Team
Gold Bond Medicated Lotion Pro Staff
Hugatree
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:24 pm

Pretty standard now days..... Attitude is..."if I'm not going to get anything neither is anyone else"......
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:39 pm

the member "grassduck" hunted with be Wednesday at my local wdu, we saw guys shoot at birds 150-200 yards in the air man. today I hunted the same spot and had a guy setup 100 yards east of me with a south wind. he got bored after 35 minutes and started walking around in the marsh getting as close as 60 yards....blowing in his kazoo as I worked two greenheads, which I eventually decoyed. I scouted that spot last night and had to call the game warden because guys were hunting out there. the regulations state you can hunt past 1pm, it was 4:45. you're not alone bud.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby Hugatree » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:56 pm

Sometimes the best thing you can do is fleece up your decoys and put the call up unless you are an excellent duck caller. Sometimes the offending party's poor calling and stupid actions will cause the ducks to land off of him and on to you.
Metamucil Elite Team
Gold Bond Medicated Lotion Pro Staff
Hugatree
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:10 pm

Definitely an ignorant move on their part. I'm glad I wasn't in your shoes. I won't think twice about ruining a hunt to teach a few yahoos self respect, respect for others and how to conduct themselves. I would definitely consult your local GW and get his # while you're at it. Hope it never happens again but in my experience there's at least one every season. Good luck.
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:20 pm

Hugatree wrote:Sometimes the best thing you can do is fleece up your decoys and put the call up unless you are an excellent duck caller. Sometimes the offending party's poor calling and stupid actions will cause the ducks to land off of him and on to you.

couldn't agree more, sometimes they push the birds right to you
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby Ga ducker » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:28 pm

Had almost the same experience last week. Had about 6 greenheads circling about 80 yards above us, and some idiots 200+ yards away thought it would be a great idea to shoot the birds working our spread. Never been so mad in my life. You would expect a little etiquette, but I suppose there are hunters that don't use etiquette. There was plenty of room for the both of us to be in these 2 holes, but they didn't want to show some courtesy. Guess you have to get back out and just do the best you can!
Ga ducker
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:01 pm

That there is pretty unfortunate luck. I've had my share of days like that. My biggest worry as the sun comes up is seeing somebody else's gun sticking out of the grass a few yards from mine.

Not much to do about it on public grounds though but be courteous and hope to get the same in return. I'd like to think that at least half the guys who are shooting at our ducks from 100+ yards out are really shooting at something else altogether. There is more than one duck in the marsh after all.

The best advice I ever heard about duck hunting was form an old gun range owner. He said " I don't bother with fighting the crowds anymore, I've a spot up a shallow creek with just enough room for me and the dog. I'll only get one or two ducks in a day, but at least I'm the only butt gone up a crap creek with no paddle."

I try to keep that in mind when scouting.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby cwsmith » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:22 pm

Unfortunately this is all stuff that is pretty commonplace on public land and WMAs. I've had several hunts where neighbors set up right next to me because I beat them to their spot and have 11 dozen decoys out, skybusters, callers that are not self-aware, trigger happy folks, etc.

Look up the thread The Ten Commandments of Public Waterfowling. You'll find that these guys are a classic example of what not to do - if you're setting up late get set quickly and quietly and be good to your neighbors.

The one thing that you can do is if you ever see a group of hunters setting up close to you, whether at first shooting light or later on in the day, take a couple minutes to go say hi to them and respectfully ask that they let the birds work and tell them good luck. If they are dangerously close to you to then don't hesitate to tell them that. This trip to the neighbor's blind before the hunt encourages mutual respect and makes shouting matches across the marsh or the dreaded unfriendly visit mid-hunt far less likely.

Good luck!
13-14 Season

40 mallards
14 GWT
13 pin
10 spoony
10 buff
9 wigeon
8 rgnk
6 woodie
6 gad
5 barrow's ge
3 merg
3 ruddy
2 l scaup
1 g scaup
1 comm ge
1 can
TOTAL DUCKS = 132

77 canada
4 snow
2 speck
TOTAL GEESE = 83

TOTAL WATERFOWL = 215
cwsmith
hunter

Postby TheMiz » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:19 pm

I swear I've had people shoot just to flare working ducks before too. Way too coincidental for the timing of their shots...multiple times. This was a couple weeks ago but we had birds cupped and locked at maybe 70 yds 4 or 5 times when the guys across the cove would shoot, just once...
TheMiz
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:30 pm

TheMiz wrote:I swear I've had people shoot just to flare working ducks before too. Way too coincidental for the timing of their shots...multiple times. This was a couple weeks ago but we had birds cupped and locked at maybe 70 yds 4 or 5 times when the guys across the cove would shoot, just once...

That's bad man... just downright wrong. Anyone in my party every did that to another group, I'd show him what the mud looks like up close.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting