Duck Hunting Forum banner

Am I doing good as a new duck hunter?

3K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Drakenstien 
#1 ·
I just started hunting out of my own boat and I have been hunting hard.I have hunted in the past but with friends. I was wondering if 2-4 ducks every hunt is good for someone just getting started on his own good. Take into account that I am hunting in area that's not the best for duck hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Baymen Moe said:
It's better than getting skunked, right? For me it's not how many ducks anyway.
Yea your right I haven't gotten skunked yet but l have with other people and I still have a good time. That's why I like duck hunting. I'm just fine sitting in the duck blind, freezing my ass off, and watching that sun rise.

#5 ·
dakotashooter2 said:
That's actually pretty good. For every guy that gets his limit nearly every hunt there are probably 20 that scratch out a couple birds. Many states will publish success statistics after the season and the average success rate is usually less than 1/2 the limit.
I feel like I'm getting better too. Not only being more efficient setting up, but I am getting better at controlling where I get the ducks to land, not flaring as early(in my opinion face paint works tried for the first time this weekend), calling them in, and just overall.

By the way I scouted a good bit and I have been going a lot so I know where the ducks are. That has helped, I think.

#7 ·
I'm not sure what your limit is, but 2-4 ducks a day for one dude is more than alright. I'm up here in Canada, if I get more than one bird in a day i'm happy as pie. Keep doing what ever it is you're doing and don't tell anyone! :) I'll get a limit from time to time.. 6 ducks, but it's rare.. and I hunt a lot. well.. I could easily limit out on mergansers pretty much any day... but I don't eat 'em so I don't shoot 'em. On average I'll get 2-3 or nuthin.

Mugz.

#9 ·
that's excellent! i start getting excited when i see the game bird harvest statistics creeping up over 2.0 birds per hunter cause it gives a chance for the well prepared to really beat that average. good work, not everyone gets the hang of it right away!

#10 ·
My limit is 6 but I was wondering because I see these people taking 5 or 6 people on a hunt and they kill a lot of ducks. I know I don't hunt in Arkansas but I figured I might should be limiting out. But, with that said I looked at the DU migration map and people are saying it is slow in our area. So I guess I'm doing good. Going to stretch out this weekend and puddler hunting and diver hunting probably. Instead of just killing a few gadwalls, teal, mergansers, and the occasional nutria.

#11 ·
Honestly, most guys that are limiting out on a regular basis are probably hunting spots they've used from years. I just moved last year, so i'm in all new territory. I'm doing better this year( no limit yet but getting closer!), but not as good as I was before I moved, I think the area has a lot to do with that though. I'm a real noob down here. Still finding my groove. Give it time man, and you'll find yours too. You're killing ducks so you're doing it right.

Cheers,

Mugz.

#14 ·
Hell you're doing fantastic !
I've been hunting ducks for 42 years and if I had a 4 bird average I'd be stoked !
This year has been really tough on us , we have blanked more then ever , do to the fact there are no birds in the area we are hunting, due to weather or lack of . :fingerhead:

#15 ·
callinfowl said:
Hell you're doing fantastic !
I've been hunting ducks for 42 years and if I had a 4 bird average I'd be stoked !
This year has been really tough on us , we have blanked more then ever , do to the fact there are no birds in the area we are hunting, due to weather or lack of . :fingerhead:
Yep. Same here. We had weather too warm in the early season that stuck till November, and then it froze almost overnight. The birds were here... for about a minute. Last year we had 2000 mallards in the river, this year I didn't see more than 50. Did well on woodies early on though, which we didn't get any of last year.

Mugz.

#16 ·
I think you already know the answer to you question pal. Of course your doing good. You'll see a lot of people posting what there numbers are per season. Don't base your success on what you see on this forum. Keep doing what your doing and you will only get better. You can't help it if the birds aren't flying. Find where the birds want to be and try to set up there. Listen and watch and learn the ducks behavior and you will learn and become a better hunter. Good luck my friend!

#17 ·
Usually as one becomes a better hunter he tends to kill less birds as quality becomes more important than quantity. The seasoned hunter would not kill a merg or ruddy duck, and at least in my area, buffle heads and spoonies are left for kids. That being said, if you like the fishy taste of that junk, have at it! Anyway the most important thing is that you are doing what you want, don't worry about what anyone else is getting, they are probably lying anyway lol.

#18 ·
jonny707 said:
Usually as one becomes a better hunter he tends to kill less birds as quality becomes more important than quantity. The seasoned hunter would not kill a merg or ruddy duck, and at least in my area, buffle heads and spoonies are left for kids. That being said, if you like the fishy taste of that junk, have at it! Anyway the most important thing is that you are doing what you want, don't worry about what anyone else is getting, they are probably lying anyway lol.
I don't entirely agree with all that, but I get your point and it's a good one. I just think the more experience you have the more luck you make, and you start shooting more doubles and triples, or even lucky double kills, when it counts on good eatin' puddlers.

But doing what you want, being out there on your own... that's the important part.

My rule is use what you kill, honor the animal first and then yourself.

And people braggin about making limits by 9am and all that ain't very cool, and like jonny said, they're probably making it all up.

Mugz.

#19 ·
You asked if you are doing good...you have your own boat and the time and resources to be out in the field a good bit. I'd say just based on that you are doing great. It's not about numbers for me but we are all out there to kill and eat ducks so, from that perspective you are doing good as well. Staying safe, being thankful and ethical and keeping your honey holes hush hush is a recipe for success. And always remember to have fun no matter how many birds end up on the strap.

-Brian

#20 ·
Went today early and cooked. I knew the ducks where there but there was so many. The only bad thing was we did not shoot any because we had a 3 foot tide in the time I got there and shooting time. So instead of shooting the ducks that were buzzing us we were trying to beat the other foot of tide. Maybe next time

#21 ·
Any hunt is a good hunt whether you kill ducks or not. Least thats how it is in Ga. Id say 25% of our hunts we never even fire a shot. If youre strictly stuck on killing here NOT hunting you wont make a duck hunter. We have some really good days but even then it dont compare to a bad day in Arkansas/Mississippi/Texas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.