Geese or no geese

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Geese or no geese

Postby preacherdan » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:50 pm

Do you guys throw goose decoys within your puddler spreads? I have heard they will flare ducks, and i have also heard they dont care. What has your experience been? I normally do not throw goose decoys in my puddler spread and if i do i throw them off to the side , what is everyone else doing
God Bless
preacherdan
DHC Sponsor

Re: Geese or no geese

Postby ILwaterfowler15 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:02 pm

Whoever told you geese will flare ducks was lying lol. We always run goose decoys in our spread. We normally 6 dozen duck floaters, 1 dozen land ducks (full bodies), 3 dozen goose floaters, and 3 dozen land geese (full bodies and shells). We put our goose decoys upwind of the duck decoys. We've killed a lot more geese and ducks using this setup and the ducks will normally land in the goose decoys.
ILwaterfowler15
hunter

Postby preacherdan » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:15 pm

Okay, sounds like your hunting bigger water than what we usually do, some of my favorite spots 6 decoys are plently enough and weve had 6 guys limit by 7:30 with little holes like that, so you dont put the geese in the midst of your ducks you put them separated how far?
preacherdan
DHC Sponsor

Postby ILwaterfowler15 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:43 pm

They are literally right next to each other, but the geese are upwind. Geese will not land over duck decoys (scared of collision), so we put them upwind to avoid any issues. We use so many decoys because most of the time we are running traffic and need a spread with a lot of visibility.

Here's the article which got my going on the whole geese for ducks type of spread: http://www.wildfowlmag.com/why-geese-ma ... ecoys.html
ILwaterfowler15
hunter

Postby preacherdan » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:46 pm

Okay cool thanks
preacherdan
DHC Sponsor

Postby ILwaterfowler15 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:15 pm

No problem! :thumbsup:

I had always noticed ducks landing in our goose spreads during January, but never gave it much thought come the next season. Then I saw that article and decided to give it a try for a few hunts and see how things worked, so far I've been very pleased with the results.
ILwaterfowler15
hunter

Postby Backwoods Water » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:34 am

ILwaterfowler15 wrote:No problem! :thumbsup:

I had always noticed ducks landing in our goose spreads during January, but never gave it much thought come the next season. Then I saw that article and decided to give it a try for a few hunts and see how things worked, so far I've been very pleased with the results.

I want to thank you as well for posting the link. I just finished reading it and I think we I'm going to add some floaters to my spread.
Backwoods Water
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting