Coot Recipe?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

Coot Recipe?

Postby graham8924 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:22 pm

Hi, I love to hunt coots, but I just can't figure out a recipe that makes them taste as good as ducks. Does anyone have a good coot recipe? :smile:
graham8924
hunter

Re: Coot Recipe?

Postby RaleighRiffRaff » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:54 pm

put it on a piece of cardboard and place in the oven on low for an hour. Take it out, throw the coot away and eat the cardboard.

Wait...thats my carp recipe...never mind...
RaleighRiffRaff
hunter

Postby BBK » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:09 pm

You are not going to make them taste like ducks since they are of a shorebird species (rail). That is like asking how to make a seagull taste like a pheasant.

Only way I've ever heard to make them edible is to cut them into tiny pieces and stick in a gumbo with a hundred spices to mask the flavor, and to grind them up and cut 20X pork to 1X coot for sausage.
BBK
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:44 am

Never cooked a coot with its hide on, so I can't speak to that, but every way I have tried them has been at least as good as most ducks prepared the same way.

Simplest cooking method I know is just to butterfly the breast fillets and saute them and the thighs in butter with just a dash of Lawry's or salt and pepper and serve while still pink in the middle or as soon as the juices flow clear. Doing that will put all the BS you'll hear about them to rest. Then get adventurous and try simmering the hearts and gizzards with simple seasonings until they're tender before sauteing the breasts and legs to make a gravy with the pan scrapings to serve over the meat. Makes me wish they were more interesting to hunt.

Them what manage to make coot nasty little doubt do the same with duck.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Trout&Duck » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:22 am

Make sure to get all the fat off the bird.
Trout&Duck
hunter

Postby graham8924 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:50 am

RaleighRiffRaff wrote:put it on a piece of cardboard and place in the oven on low for an hour. Take it out, throw the coot away and eat the cardboard.

Wait...thats my carp recipe...never mind...

Hahaha, very funny.
graham8924
hunter

Postby graham8924 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:50 am

Trout&Duck wrote:Make sure to get all the fat off the bird.

Okay, thanks.
graham8924
hunter

Postby graham8924 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:52 am

Rick Hall wrote:Never cooked a coot with its hide on, so I can't speak to that, but every way I have tried them has been at least as good as most ducks prepared the same way.

Simplest cooking method I know is just to butterfly the breast fillets and saute them and the thighs in butter with just a dash of Lawry's or salt and pepper and serve while still pink in the middle or as soon as the juices flow clear. Doing that will put all the BS you'll hear about them to rest. Then get adventurous and try simmering the hearts and gizzards with simple seasonings until they're tender before sauteing the breasts and legs to make a gravy with the pan scrapings to serve over the meat. Makes me wish they were more interesting to hunt.

Them what manage to make coot nasty little doubt do the same with duck.

That sounds pretty good. I'll have to try it!
graham8924
hunter

Postby graham8924 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:53 am

BBK wrote:You are not going to make them taste like ducks since they are of a shorebird species (rail). That is like asking how to make a seagull taste like a pheasant.

Only way I've ever heard to make them edible is to cut them into tiny pieces and stick in a gumbo with a hundred spices to mask the flavor, and to grind them up and cut 20X pork to 1X coot for sausage.

Hmmm... I think I could try that. Thanks.
graham8924
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:00 pm

I do this with several species, but you can take your coot breast and pound them out really thin. Put about an 1/2 inch of cooking oil in a skillet. Now get some flour and add garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and any Cajun style seasoning (Tony's). Season the flour to taste. Wash the breast in a little egg and milk and then coat each side with the flour. Pan fry and follow up with some white pepper gravy on top!

This recipe works with any wild game.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby graham8924 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:48 pm

Cajun1085 wrote:I do this with several species, but you can take your coot breast and pound them out really thin. Put about an 1/2 inch of cooking oil in a skillet. Now get some flour and add garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and any Cajun style seasoning (Tony's). Season the flour to taste. Wash the breast in a little egg and milk and then coat each side with the flour. Pan fry and follow up with some white pepper gravy on top!

This recipe works with any wild game.

Sounds good! I'll have to try that, too.
graham8924
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:17 pm

You'll need a rock and a coot.....

Sent from my Tim Grounds Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Postby jonny707 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:00 pm

As said above you must get the skin and fat off first of all. My grandfather use to like them. He would soak the breasts over night in a sink full of water with some white vinegar in it. Then he would cube it up and use it as stew meat (use any beef or venison recipe).
jonny707
hunter

Postby sharris » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:09 am

I tried a coot once. I brined it then marinated it in teriyaki sauce then breaded and pan fried it. Took one bite, spit it out and threw the whole thing away. Tasted like rotting fish. If I were to try it again I'd drink a case of beer first so that I wouldn't remember it. Good luck.
sharris
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:27 pm

graham8924 wrote:Hi, I love to hunt coots, but I just can't figure out a recipe that makes them taste as good as ducks. Does anyone have a good coot recipe? :smile:

I like eating coots. I simply breast them out (make sure you get all the fat off). Then marinate them over night in dales steak seasoning low sodium version. Wrap with a piece of bacon and grill it up applying a coating of BBQ to it. Make sure you use indirect heat for most of your cooking, then throw it on the coals for a second before you pull them off just make sure you keep them at medium rare. I don't let any get out of the spread after I figured out how to cook them.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby duck_dynasty » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:06 pm

Jerky....u cant tell the difference
duck_dynasty
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:50 pm

Cook those coots, a big old Jack Rabbit, and 2 cans of chicken broth for about 6 hours in a crock pot. Then, cut a big portion and give it to the dog, if he eats it, give him the rest because its still not fit for human consumption JMHO
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby graham8924 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:32 pm

jonny707 wrote:As said above you must get the skin and fat off first of all. My grandfather use to like them. He would soak the breasts over night in a sink full of water with some white vinegar in it. Then he would cube it up and use it as stew meat (use any beef or venison recipe).

Alright, thanks.
graham8924
hunter

Postby graham8924 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:34 pm

sharris wrote:I tried a coot once. I brined it then marinated it in teriyaki sauce then breaded and pan fried it. Took one bite, spit it out and threw the whole thing away. Tasted like rotting fish. If I were to try it again I'd drink a case of beer first so that I wouldn't remember it. Good luck.

Haha, I suppose it's an aquired taste. I love the little mud chickens.
graham8924
hunter

Postby graham8924 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:35 pm

Nelliboy2 wrote:
graham8924 wrote:Hi, I love to hunt coots, but I just can't figure out a recipe that makes them taste as good as ducks. Does anyone have a good coot recipe? :smile:

I like eating coots. I simply breast them out (make sure you get all the fat off). Then marinate them over night in dales steak seasoning low sodium version. Wrap with a piece of bacon and grill it up applying a coating of BBQ to it. Make sure you use indirect heat for most of your cooking, then throw it on the coals for a second before you pull them off just make sure you keep them at medium rare. I don't let any get out of the spread after I figured out how to cook them.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Sounds awesome, thanks!
graham8924
hunter

Postby graham8924 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:36 pm

duck_dynasty wrote:Jerky....u cant tell the difference

I love duck jerky, so I'm sure coot jerky can't taste much different!
graham8924
hunter

Postby BurnettGunner » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:10 am

Don't listen to these yahoos. Only take the breasts. Get a big bowl and pour an entire bottle of white wine in, add the coot breast and let it soak for 12 hours. Pull them out and put them in the crockpot with water, butter and a bag of French onion soup mix. Drop them on a load of cooked rice after 2-3 hours in the crockpot.

This is best with fresh coot, frozen coot really concentrates the gaminess in the meat.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Postby graham8924 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:02 pm

BurnettGunner wrote:Don't listen to these yahoos. Only take the breasts. Get a big bowl and pour an entire bottle of white wine in, add the coot breast and let it soak for 12 hours. Pull them out and put them in the crockpot with water, butter and a bag of French onion soup mix. Drop them on a load of cooked rice after 2-3 hours in the crockpot.

This is best with fresh coot, frozen coot really concentrates the gaminess in the meat.

Haha, alright, sounds great!
graham8924
hunter

Postby jedijon » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:35 am

I tried a few roasted at 525 with the skin on till the breast hit 130, about 25 min., and didn't care for the flavor.

This week, I breasted one and seared it in the cast iron skillet (just a dash of salt) immediately after the peppers and onions were finished sautéing. A few minutes per side on high...and sliced them up for tacos. The meat plain tasted fine. W/the rest of the fixings...the chimichuri sauce...crumbly cheese...and a choice of meats (pepper lamb flank steak, cumin/cinnamon duck hearts and livers)...wow were those some delicious tacos!

If the flavor isn't a showstopper, don't just put it on the plate by itself - complement it with flavors, the bolder the better, or mix it in. And for texture - there doesn't seem to be a middle ground with wild meat. Cook it just enough, or long enough to be tender. After a few experiences with basically wasted meat...I'll almost always choose the just enough option unless there's some funky bones involved.
10 Teal, 6 Mallard, 5 Shoveler, 4 Pintail, 3 Coot, 1 Widgeon, 1 Bufflehead, 1 Canadian Goose, 1 Hooded Merganser
jedijon
hunter

Postby 'JaminC'mon » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:38 am

Take out only the breast meat. Make sure to get all the fat and silver skin off. Marinade in orange juice for a half hour or so. Cook it on a griddle with butter bacon grease from that morning's breakfast. I was afraid to eat it at first, but glad I did. I tasted almost like venison. Wish we would have shot more than morning at duck camp.
'JaminC'mon
hunter

Next

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting