Jump shooting, something doesn't feel right...

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Jump shooting, something doesn't feel right...

Postby tylers1 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:28 pm

So I found a couple sweet little ponds (about 100-150 yards wide) in the hills near where I live. I did some checking and found that the ponds hold a bunch of wigeon and some mallards and spoonies. The first day I just brought my shotgun just to check the place out, and ended up shooting a couple wigeon that I jumped out of the pond when I hiked in. The other 60 or so birds took off and didn't really come back during the next few hours. I came back the next time with decoys, but had the same experience. Jumped a few birds when I showed up, and the rest never came back. I have repeated this exercise a few times, killing a couple birds each time.

Here is my question: Should I be shooting these birds that I can't work with decoys and calls? Something doesn't feel right about shooting a few birds and heading home with no "work". In California you have to take what you can get most times, but would you guys hunt this spot? It is definitely much easier than hunting the local reservation, but still.
Last edited by tylers1 on Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tylers1
hunter

Re: Jump shooting, something doesn't feel right...

Postby blackrock » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:45 pm

Nothing the matter with jump shooting! It's one of my favorite things, especially if I am short on time to take the jetboat, layout boat or do a decoy setup on a creek. I love to watch birds decoy, but there's no shame in jump shooting. Ducks are super alert, observant and ready to take flight at the first sign of danger. Most places we jump shoot, the ducks win as often as not. Bringing the dog makes it even more chalkenging, as I try to teach Cheyenne the fine art of staying low on the aporoach! The scouting, sneaking and trying to make a quick shot on ducks launching up is one of the joys of the season. It's just one more technique or tool in the arsenal. Have fun and post up a photo......
blackrock
hunter

Postby tylers1 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:19 pm

blackrock wrote:Nothing the matter with jump shooting! It's one of my favorite things, especially if I am short on time to take the jetboat, layout boat or do a decoy setup on a creek. I love to watch birds decoy, but there's no shame in jump shooting. Ducks are super alert, observant and ready to take flight at the first sign of danger. Most places we jump shoot, the ducks win as often as not. Bringing the dog makes it even more chalkenging, as I try to teach Cheyenne the fine art of staying low on the aporoach! The scouting, sneaking and trying to make a quick shot on ducks launching up is one of the joys of the season. It's just one more technique or tool in the arsenal. Have fun and post up a photo......

Thanks for your feedback, I will keep going out there. Here is a photo from last time I was out.
Attachments
IMG_2503.jpg
tylers1
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:24 pm

image.jpg
Nice! Don't tell anyone about your spot, and hide your pickup. If "the fellas" find out about it, your magic spot will be toast....... Here is my hunting buddy on a nice afternoon of jump shooting yesterday.
blackrock
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:53 am

We did some jump shooting in Sask when we get skunked on geese in the morning. It is a great feeling to get up over the rise of a dam and pick your shots but it is a one time deal as they do not return,instead they go to a nearby pond and sit there and feed in the field next to it. Only when they are flushed from the other pond then you might have a chance to decoy. Usually they will return to the dam when it is dark.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby tylers1 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:22 am

REM1100 wrote:We did some jump shooting in Sask when we get skunked on geese in the morning. It is a great feeling to get up over the rise of a dam and pick your shots but it is a one time deal as they do not return,instead they go to a nearby pond and sit there and feed in the field next to it. Only when they are flushed from the other pond then you might have a chance to decoy. Usually they will return to the dam when it is dark.

This is very similar to my experience. To me, it is still worth it to head out for just a few shots.
tylers1
hunter

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:21 pm

What time are you arriving to hunt the pond? Obviously it's daylight since your shooting them as they jump. Seems like you should just set up before LST, unless I'm missing something.
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
River Ramblin' Man
hunter

Postby tylers1 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:52 pm

River Ramblin' Man wrote:What time are you arriving to hunt the pond? Obviously it's daylight since your shooting them as they jump. Seems like you should just set up before LST, unless I'm missing something.

I have been getting to the pond right at shoot time. I could get there about an hour early, but I don't know if that would help as the ducks seem to be landing in the pond, or already in the pond before light. Maybe I will try setting up really early and waiting until shoot time to see if more ducks come in after the sun comes up. The other complication is that there isn't much natural cover around the pond,
tylers1
hunter

Postby blackrock » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:28 pm

Could be worth a try. If they are spending the night there and you spook them out in the dark, they might come back since you wouldn't be shooting at them. I've had this happen plenty. You just need to set up real quick and hide. If there's no cover you could build a small low profile brush blind, then just stay away for a couple days until they get used to seeing the brush there. Then hunt it and see what happens. The other thing is to glass it, see if they leave to go feed in a field somewhere in the morning then set up while they are gone and surprise them when they come back. Probably just use a couple decoys though........and little to no calling!
blackrock
hunter

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:01 pm

tylers1 wrote:
River Ramblin' Man wrote:What time are you arriving to hunt the pond? Obviously it's daylight since your shooting them as they jump. Seems like you should just set up before LST, unless I'm missing something.

I have been getting to the pond right at shoot time. I could get there about an hour early, but I don't know if that would help as the ducks seem to be landing in the pond, or already in the pond before light. Maybe I will try setting up really early and waiting until shoot time to see if more ducks come in after the sun comes up. The other complication is that there isn't much natural cover around the pond,

It's possible that it's a roost pond if they're already there at LST, and don't return when you jump them. They probably do stay all night there. Unless they're just early fliers that come in and sit down before light. Early flying is (to me) one of the most annoying things that ducks do.
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
River Ramblin' Man
hunter

Postby Echospartan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:28 pm

I enjoy jump shooting because you don't have to get up at dark o-thiry and carry a bunch of gear down to the pond rather, you get up at a leisurely time have a good breakfast and a cup of coffee before you go.
Pull 'em outta the sky!
Echospartan
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:07 pm

You might get a mix of opinions. Here in my state, the deep freeze hit and everything is locked up. I hunt a small creek on my property that doesn't freeze. Each weekend morning there are a lot of ducks sitting on it. I couldn't imagine walking up to it and letting all of the ducks fly away and then setting up the decoys.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby LETEMWORK21 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:58 pm

Do you watch duck dynasty?
Jack it up, fat chicks can't jump!
LETEMWORK21
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:45 am

LETEMWORK21 wrote:Do you watch duck dynasty?

They are the ONLY reason I grow a beard and shoot a Benelli. Do you watch as well? Did they get you into duck hunting as well? Did they did they huh huh huh?
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby tylers1 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:52 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:

They are the ONLY reason I grow a beard and shoot a Benelli. Do you watch as well? Did they get you into duck hunting as well? Did they did they huh huh huh?

I started shooting BC because of them. And I started drinking sweet tea, even though I don't like it.
tylers1
hunter

Postby LETEMWORK21 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:11 am

tylers1 wrote:
JuniorPre 360 wrote:

I started shooting BC because of them. And I started drinking sweet tea, even though I don't like it.

Really now, you should get yourself one of those YETI coolers to keep that sweet tea cold in! And when your jump shooting make sure your shooting black cloud, those flight stopper pellets really lay em down when ya water swat em! :thumbsup:
Jack it up, fat chicks can't jump!
LETEMWORK21
hunter

Postby tylers1 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:45 pm

LETEMWORK21 wrote:
tylers1 wrote:
JuniorPre 360 wrote:

Really now, you should get yourself one of those YETI coolers to keep that sweet tea cold in! And when your jump shooting make sure your shooting black cloud, those flight stopper pellets really lay em down when ya water swat em! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice!
tylers1
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:54 pm

I would got atleast 30 mins before shooting time. put out my decoys and be ready at legal time. they may come early and hit the pond but your still and sit there you will be right by them come lst.

I dont get in to the jump shooting thing. decoying for me.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby danny6172 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:52 pm

Those ponds and tanks can be pretty deep too... be careful
There are no ducks in AZ
danny6172
hunter

Postby Woodiekiller20 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:58 pm

Nothing wrong with jump shooting. If you turn down jump shooting opportunities here in Virginia, you might not get any ducks at all! Gotta do what ya gotta do
Woodiekiller20
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:56 am

Echospartan wrote:I enjoy jump shooting because you don't have to get up at dark o-thiry and carry a bunch of gear down to the pond rather, you get up at a leisurely time have a good breakfast and a cup of coffee before you go.

I know a couple of jumpshooters, and they have the same attitude.
"All I need is a box o' shells and my gun, and I can kill ducks....ain't nothing' to it", is what they tell me. That pretty much exemplifies what I don't like about jump shooting; "there's nothing to it". No emotional involvement, none of my blood, sweat, or tears invested. Just drive around, find water with ducks on it, walk over there, pull the trigger.

It's a way to kill a duck with no investment on my part. I used to jump shoot when I was a kid with nothing but a gun and some shells, but I don't jump shoot any more, and I'm not real proud of ever having done it.

It's (jump) shooting, not hunting. Jump shooting is to duck hunting what prostitution is to true love; a cheap fast way to a singular goal with nothing in the way of satisfying involvement. There's a good reason it doesn't feel right.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox......
mudpack
hunter

Postby longboman » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:59 pm

mudpack wrote:
Echospartan wrote:I enjoy jump shooting because you don't have to get up at dark o-thiry and carry a bunch of gear down to the pond rather, you get up at a leisurely time have a good breakfast and a cup of coffee before you go.

"All I need is a box o' shells and my gun, and I can kill ducks....ain't nothing' to it", is what they tell me. That pretty much exemplifies what I don't like about jump shooting; "there's nothing to it". No emotional involvement, none of my blood, sweat, or tears invested. Just drive around, find water with ducks on it, walk over there, pull the trigger.

It's a way to kill a duck with no investment on my part. I used to jump shoot when I was a kid with nothing but a gun and some shells, but I don't jump shoot any more, and I'm not real proud of ever having done it.

It's (jump) shooting, not hunting. Jump shooting is to duck hunting what prostitution is to true love; a cheap fast way to a singular goal with nothing in the way of satisfying involvement. There's a good reason it doesn't feel right.

LOL! Dude, if your using decoys, calls, water proof waders, boats, shotguns and from the sound of your post a dog to go fetch something your apparently to lazy to go get yourself....you need empty what apparently your full of yourself with. Nothing wrong with a "traditional" duck hunt.....nothing wrong with jump shooting either. BTW, I do not jump shoot....hell I'm just now getting into duck hunting after years of hunting biggame with selfbows and longbows. You sound like the turkey hunting purist that scouffs at bushwacking and stalking turkeys. The purist thinks the only turkey hunt should be a called in bird in the spring....even though stalking a turkey in the fall is about as hard as it gets. You claim jump shooting is not hunting. A traditional duck hunt is about as far from "hunting" as it can get compared to killing biggame with selfbows and homemade arrows
longboman
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:05 pm

mudpack wrote:

I completely agree. Also to the op, if you don't pop off on them leaving, I'd bet a good few would come right back shortly.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:13 pm

I really don't have a problem with jump shooting, but certainly prefer to decoy birds. I've learned a lot about what ducks see and react to while trying to sneak up on them a time or two. I know when I'm slipping down the creek bank I'm looking for ripples on the water, I know it's going to be something, maybe a group of mallards, maybe a muskrat or otter, but ducks key in to those ripples too, even when they can't see the ducks under an overhang. I want to incorporate that water motion in my decoy spreads. One word of caution, if you are jump shooting, make sure of your target, I've had a few young adults sneak in on my decoys and start blasting away, fortunately I've never been in the line of fire.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:32 am

longboman wrote:
mudpack wrote: There's a good reason it doesn't feel right......

You sound like the turkey hunting purist that scouffs at bushwacking.....turkeys.

Thank you. I appreciate the compliment.
mudpack
hunter

Next

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting