Jump shooting, something doesn't feel right...

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Re: Jump shooting, something doesn't feel right...

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:04 am

jump shooting IS NOT AND NEVER HAS BEEN water swatting. :mad:
now if you are talking about game birds lets look at pheasant shooting
TWO main was to hunt them Driven birds..eg hunter stays put and birds are beaten/driven towards them..the classic way its done the royalty have been doing it for centuries
then we have rough shooting
going for a wander with or without the dog trying to outwit a cunning old rooster in his home patch and get him to fly in such a way that you can shoot him.

does anyone else see the comparison????
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:21 pm

All the jump shooting naysayers are just grumpy people that aren't patient enough to slowly put the sneak on the fowl.
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:28 pm

Honk-n-quack wrote:All the jump shooting naysayers are just grumpy people that aren't patient enough to slowly put the sneak on the fowl.

I guess you've never sat in a blind from two hours before sunrise until sunset, watching the decoys and for birds that never showed up. That, my friend, is patience. :thumbsup:

My experience differs from yours; the guys I've hunted with who had the least amount of patience are the ones who say "Screw this, I'm going to go walk around and try to jump something........" :yes:
Last edited by mudpack on Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:21 pm

I resemble that remark :thumbsup:
but I dont leave if there isnt someone sitting there to get shot at any birds I put up that may come in.
I love shooting ducks over dekes...sometimes time restraints dictate that its jump shoot or stay home.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby Quakklz » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:22 pm

We jump shot ducks all but one hunt this last season. Here in Idaho it is a workout. We had two days out of 20 hunts we did not bring home birds. This was one of them.

Quakklz
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:48 pm

I reckon not many fellas would shoot a cock pheasant from in the maimai :clapping: well done
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby Quakklz » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:32 am

Elvis Kiwi wrote:I reckon not many fellas would shoot a cock pheasant from in the maimai :clapping: well done

LOL. I am not sure what that means but we take time out of our hunting day to walk fields when they are in season as well. Thank you... That was my first rooster ever.
Quakklz
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:36 am

Quakklz wrote:
Elvis Kiwi wrote:I reckon not many fellas would shoot a cock pheasant from in the maimai :clapping: well done

LOL. I am not sure what that means...

From the photos I've seen, it's a blind that looks more like a brushed up WWII bunker than one of ours. And how folks shoot flying game through the narrow windows a mystery...
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:17 am

sorry MAIMAI=LOO=BLIND
and yip great to sit in out of the rain..some are like a chook house but the best ones have a front shooting area where you can stand and shoot 360 degrees. on big water you pull dingy/punt/kayak in under neath them..some here are big enough that they resemble a small house and have bunk/bedrooms and kitchen aswell :no:
we settle for a camo net close to a tree or if mud is in for year eg water has dropped we dig a foxhole and poke sticks around the edges to try to hide in.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:45 pm

mudpack wrote:
Honk-n-quack wrote:All the jump shooting naysayers are just grumpy people that aren't patient enough to slowly put the sneak on the fowl.

You have, obviously, never sat in a blind from two hours before sunrise until sunset, watching the decoys and for birds that never showed up. That, my friend, is patience. :thumbsup:

My experience differs from yours; the guys I've hunted with who had the least amount of patience are the ones who say "Screw this, I'm going to go walk around and try to jump something........" :yes:

Yessir I have. Where I hunt I carry my gear 2 miles at 4 Am to get to my good spot in public land.It's First come/ first serve so I am always first. One of my best hunts was public land in an overlooked little point on the lake. I have to pack up and leave at 2 P.M. so I have not experienced the Sunset/Dark at night. Some ponds I have jumped have been some of the best hunts also, I have some private ponds in Southern Oregon off the Umpqua River that I jump, go walk several miles back home cook ducks for lunch, and then go back and shoot some more for dinner. Pretty hard to beat that.
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:50 am

Honk-n-quack wrote:
mudpack wrote:You have, obviously, never sat in a blind from two hours before sunrise until sunset,

Yessir I have. ...I have to pack up and leave at 2 P.M. so I have not experienced the Sunset/Dark at night.

You've confused me. Which is it: yes you have or no you haven't? :huh:

My point is: jump shooters have less patience than those who hunt out of blinds (over decoys). That's why they are jump shooters.
mudpack
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:50 am

I guess I really don't understand the dividing line that defines what jump shooting truly is. Would jump shooting pheasants or quail be wrong?
woodduck31
hunter

Postby blackrock » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:42 am

I don't understand why this thread is still going. The OP hasn't been here since December and there obviously will be a difference of opinions. If somebody chooses to hunt over decoys or jump shoot, as long as either is done legally, why is it anyone's concern or business? Mudpack do you think the rest of the hunting community cares how patient you are? I spend a lot of time in a layout boat or blind, but if it's not working I may go do something else. Some days the birds just don't fly.........
blackrock
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:08 pm

This thread seems to me to just be a thread about how nobody is a better hunter or patient hunter as mudpack here.
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:52 pm

woodduck31 wrote:I guess I really don't understand the dividing line that defines what jump shooting truly is. Would jump shooting pheasants or quail be wrong?

that was the point I made earlier re pheasants and I guess ol mudpack was having a bad day..we :smile: are all friends here :beer:
I define jump shooting (or rough shooting as the poms would call it) as going for a stroll and trying to jump up birds from cover or sneaking up on a pond/creek and shooting birds as they "jump for the sky" I DO NOT water swat..or allow others to do so in my company.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:52 am

I wasn't the one to play the patience card. Remember this:

I look at it this way:

Hunter category A:
Duck hunters who procure a spot, make a hide, put out decoys, call skillfully, have the patience to wait for the birds to cup up.
Pheasant hunters who procure a spot, put out the dog(s), walk the field/slough, put up birds.

category B:
Duck shooters who drive around until they spot ducks on the water, sneak up on the birds, jump them.
Pheasant shooters who drive around until they spot a pheasant running across the road, jump out, chase 'em up.

You all know which category I'm in, and now we know which category some of you are in.

Jump shooting: there's a reason something doesn't feel right.....
mudpack
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:01 pm

mudpack wrote:I wasn't the one to play the patience card. Remember this:

I look at it this way:

Hunter category A:
Duck hunters who procure a spot, make a hide, put out decoys, call skillfully, have the patience to wait for the birds to cup up.
Pheasant hunters who procure a spot, put out the dog(s), walk the field/slough, put up birds.

category B:
Duck shooters who drive around until they spot ducks on the water, sneak up on the birds, jump them.
Pheasant shooters who drive around until they spot a pheasant running across the road, jump out, chase 'em up.

You all know which category I'm in, and now we know which category some of you are in.

Now I see the point of view behind this entire thread from this post. Jump shooting ruined some of my private property up north. A kid after school would drive along and blast the ducks. This is a spot we went to every weekend, so JUST once a week. Needless to say, ducks stopped returning to this spot and I couldn't ever catch him in the act after warning him once. I will kill ducks if they fly out of the spot I plan to set up in, but I never go out without decoys to blast away and then leave. In my case, it did a lot more damage than good. Jump shooting is also what ruined the Wood Duck population in my area. These kids drove around, spotted groups of maybe 50, then shot up the flock.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:46 pm

yes roadside bomb ups arent good for any game hunting, be it ducks or deer and give the sport a bad name.
its persisting down with rain still here been raining all week. 4" since wednesday night.
the lake we shoot over dekes opening weekend is filling up nicely so with luck we will be able to sit among trees to shoot instead of in the mud. I will do my usual mid morning cruise around in the boat and sneak up on any little coves to look into them then park boat and jump up the birds in them...that way I get a shot and hopefully(usually) they fly off and drop in somewhere else which gives others a shot :thumbsup: when I dont do it the birds all congregate in unshot areas and it is a slow day all around.I call that jump shooting as I sneak in jump them up and then shoot as they get up and away. arseholes who roar in and snot them from a moving jetboat doing 50+ mph better hope I dont catch them at it or they will be in for a bad bad weekend :mad: and a date with a judge later on :mad: Ive had them buzz my dekes before and it was just not on :no: that fair made my blood boil..unsporting..illegal and darn right plurry rude.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby Quakklz » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:30 am

mudpack wrote:I wasn't the one to play the patience card. Remember this:

I look at it this way:

Hunter category A:

category B:

Then there are those who jump shoot & do the homework to find the birds, work to acquire permission to hunt private creeks, ditches, and/or ponds. Don't set up on top of anybody, shoot ducks, & do their best to leave the property better than they found it. Thus, showing the land owners that there are descent, respectful people who hunt. Those kind of hunters still exist. Nothing feels wrong about that kind of jump shooting.
Quakklz
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:01 am

:clapping: :clapping: well said that man :clapping: :clapping:
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:43 am

Quakklz wrote:Then there are those who jump shoot & do the homework to find the birds.....etc.

Let's see.... by definition, they would fall into category B.

A tidy, respectful jump shooter who picks up his three empties is still a jump shooter....
mudpack
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:39 pm

I'm proposing Category C for windbag armchair duck hunters with a highly inflated opinion of their opinion on almost every topic.......
blackrock
hunter

Postby :-) » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:01 pm

There needs to be a category c. As with all things in life some people aren't as fortunate as others.

Personally I hunt lakes, flooded timber, rice, corn, and coastal waters. So jump shooting isn't necessary for me to enjoy a day of waterfowl hunting.

With that said, if all I had were creeks, ponds, and stock tanks that only held a few birds...bet your sweet arz I'd be a jump shooting SOB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:-)
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:23 pm

I can tell by your posts that you guys know I'm right. :lol3:
mudpack
hunter

Postby KRB » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:34 pm

Not getting that vibe mud.
KRB
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting