Do ducks sink?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Do ducks sink?

Postby Drakenstien » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:18 pm

The other day I shot a duck 2 times and I was sure he was dead. But, later I could not find him at all. I never saw him pop up or anything after he went under in the middle of the pond. I have always been a deer hunter and my grandpa tells stories about deer and water. He says the tend to run towards water after being shot. And, sometimes they suck in water when they die. Do duck do this? He said he know this because on 3 occasions he's been in boats and poking the bottom with broom handles and what have you. And 3 time when they poke it it pops up because they are simi buoyant. He has also seen them float.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drakenstien
hunter

Re: Do ducks sink?

Postby beastmode » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:27 pm

I have had them do this. Especially divers. They will dive down a grab something underwater with their bill and never let go.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
beastmode
hunter

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:31 pm

What happened to you isn't all that rare. There's quite a few theories on what they do. A lot of people think that they dive down, grab a stick or weed underwater, and drown. I have no clue if that's true or not. It's also possible that it got on the bank and laid down somewhere. There's been times that I was 99% certain the bird did not make it to the bank, only to find them laying in the brush somewhere.
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
River Ramblin' Man
hunter

Postby BBK » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:38 pm

Like already said, its not rare. It happens to our group every year, especially in the marsh. They do one of two things, if they are divers they typically dive under and pop up 75-80 yards away or dive under and swim to shore, puddle ducks will dive under and bury themselves under weeds or brush and drown. Only way to get them is to walk around where it dove and hope you knock it loose so it will float up.

All ducks float.
BBK
hunter

Postby Drakenstien » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:47 pm

BBK wrote:All ducks float.

What if they suck water in their lungs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drakenstien
hunter

Postby BBK » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:48 pm

They are naturally buoyant, its not from the air in their lungs. Not sure what exactly makes them so buoyant though, probably something to do with the feathers.
BBK
hunter

Postby reconcoupe » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:51 am

Been hunting big water lately, lots of mallards hanging out in the large coves and even the middle. I've lost a few mallards that have taken a swim after being winged and watched them swim out to the middle before 'diving'. After some keen observation, study, and multiple hypotheses, contracted study through major government think tanks, hiring a producer to film a Under water duck reality TV show, and the acquisition of multiple recently unclassified government duckuments through the freedom of information act I have your answer and the reason my ducks go missing.

Catfish are eating my ducks....

Seriously though, I've caught some lunkers outta Milford reservoir, many over 25 lbs, and I wouldn't be surprised if a catfish has made a tasty treat outta a downed teal or gaddy, maybe even a mallard, even though its unlikely. Other than that I'm outta ideas.
reconcoupe
hunter

Postby troutman561 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:58 am

I had a gar steal a ruddy duck I shot. It was down, feet up, and started moving. This seemed strange and then it picked up speed. It wen under, then back up, and finally under to never be seen again.
troutman561
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:46 pm

As others have said they will on occasion dive and grab something on the bottom and drown. However, I think this is the all around last resort. I know puddle ducks and geese will always come back to shore and hide somewhere. I find a few every season just taking my dog for a walk when I'm out...he will just run up into a log jam usually and a minute or two later he has a bird.

I usually layout hunt big water. I have noticed with divers and puddle ducks that on a calm glass like day. When we cripple a bird, I'll chase him down with the boat. Almost always they will dive when I get around 70 yards or so. With that said of they don't surface I can tend to see their break just bearly break the surface. I have has success with just shooting at it, usually the birds will not be dead but dazed floating giving me enough time to scoop them up.

This is next to impossible to do Ina chop. I tend to back off the birds if I lose them and one of two things will happen. If there are seagulls in the area soon you can just watch them start dive booming something in the distance. 9 times out of 10 that is your bird they are trying to kill. Number two just backing off for a half hour or so and glassing you can usually see then resurface and begin to swim. Then the chase begins again. Lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Greenhead_Wrecker » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:22 pm

Funny story actually... A couple weekends ago I shot a hen widgeon and she did the same thing. Could not find her and eventually gave up. A couple hours later I look down and there she was! She must have swam at least a couple hundred yards and banked herself right up onto some grass that I was using for cover. Pretty surprised and relieved to say the least!
Greenhead_Wrecker
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:46 pm

We shot a drake mallard once 3 times and he was stitill kickin. He swam up to shore and layed on the bank. We drove over in the boat thinking he was dead so i was going to grab him, and he flew up then landed on the water 5 feet from me then dove. we were looking real hard for him then we saw a faint wake 70 yards away. We drove over there and he got on shore then went into a raccoon den. It took 40 minuets, a claw hammer, and a boat oar to get him out of their.
And then a merganser dove after being shot and never came back up. They do float. even if thy suck in air their down feathers should keep them afloat.
Good Luck in the field-Mike.
Mike657
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:38 am

I shot a drake mallard this morning that flew off about 80 yards into deep water before it dropped dead. There was an incoming tide and a strong NW wind that blew the bird to the far bank. No problem, really, I just watched it wash up into the bog and kept an eye on it. After I was finished hunting, I drove around to the other side of the harbor and picked it up. Still floating after 2 1/2 hours. Moral of the story, ducks don't sink, and if they're dead, they don't dive.

To the OP, if your bird hits the water and shows any sign of life, hit it again. Check out the Cripple Swatter thread in the Reloading forum. The consensus is to use small shot, like #6 steel to finish off crippled birds. This will generally deliver a much denser pattern to ensure strikes to the head and neck and result in a quick kill.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:11 pm

Ducks definitely always float, but they try really hard to get away! We have had ducks do the "death dive" multiple times. Sometimes they do grab something underwater and stay down, I've looked down and seen it once in clear water. It was a Mallard. We lost a Goldeneye under ice in a small creek last week, never came out. That being said, I agree with Nelli, they are usually swimming away. I had to chase down two geese and a diver layout hunting yesterday. The geese (and ducks) can swim like a snake, with only their bill and a small portion of their back at the surface. It's really hard to see them unless the water is like glass, and they are often a lot farther away than I think by the time I locate them. Their will to survive is very strong, but we owe it to them to work equally hard to recover our birds!
blackrock
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting