Huge mallard!!

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Re: Huge mallard!!

Postby Frank Lopez » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:39 am

Einstein wrote:Not a mallard. That's a Rouen, which typically weigh between 6-8lbs. Cool story tho!

I believe that Rouens are flightless, like other domestics.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Einstein » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:27 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:
Einstein wrote:Not a mallard. That's a Rouen, which typically weigh between 6-8lbs. Cool story tho!

I believe that Rouens are flightless, like other domestics.

Frank

That's what I thought too. One day mine (around 7lbs) got up and they flew away. Ducks are meant to fly and they all will. I specifically had hatcheries tell me they (and other breeds I bought) could not fly. One day they got up and went and only came back on the weekends.
Einstein says: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Check out my build:
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=465930
Einstein
hunter

Postby Brandon_Rad » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:25 am

Would be cool if it was banded that way you could see where it was tagged and how old it was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brandon_Rad
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:14 am

possumfoot wrote:i think your scales are off.. that or you are an ogre.. most specks weigh less than 7 pounds and that bird just don't look to be the size of a speck or mid size canada goose. average drake mallard weighs 2.7 pounds. that said, that thing is a hoss.

I agree. While it's a big greenhead, it isn't more than twice as big as the normal "big" mallard drake.
I've killed a few really big greenheads, big enough that I had to put them on a calibrated baby scales. An ounce or two over 3 pounds is the most any weighed. A three pound mallard drake is a big mallard. The one in the picture is not nearly 8 pounds, not unless it's craw is filled with fishing sinkers....LOTS of fishing sinkers.
Last edited by mudpack on Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:23 pm

mudpack wrote:
possumfoot wrote:i think your scales are off.. that or you are an ogre.. most specks weigh less than 7 pounds and that bird just don't look to be the size of a speck or mid size canada goose. average drake mallard weighs 2.7 pounds. that said, that thing is a hoss.

I agree. While it's a big greenhead, it isn't more than twice as big as the average big mallard drake.
I've killed a few really big greenheads, big enough that I put them on a calibrated baby scales. An ounce our two over 3 pounds is the most any weighed. A three pound mallard drake is a big mallard. The one in the picture is not nearly 8 pounds, not unless it's craw is filled with fishing sinkers....LOTS of fishing sinkers.

Mudpack is right. The biggest mallard I have seen was 3.2 pounds. He is currently stareing at me on the wall right now.
Good Luck in the field-Mike.
Mike657
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:19 am

Einstein wrote:
Frank Lopez wrote:I believe that Rouens are flightless, like other domestics.Frank

That's what I thought too. One day mine (around 7lbs) got up and they flew away. Ducks are meant to fly and they all will. I specifically had hatcheries tell me they (and other breeds I bought) could not fly. One day they got up and went and only came back on the weekends.

Typical college freshman ducks.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Gr33nHead » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:23 am

Hes a biggun
Gr33nHead
hunter

Previous

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting