Mixing puddlers and ringnecks

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

Mixing puddlers and ringnecks

Postby Hbnel5on » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:08 pm

Not sure were to put this.. But down here in ga we have a pretty good bit of ring necks on our pond of course we have always picked off a couple strangers, but I figured wha the heck they mix with the gadwall and stuff just fine when I scout why not get some deeks? Well our diver rates went up a lot. But to you guys who mix them how do y'all normally mix them? Like diagrams would be great. This is what I'm thinking this weekend. Were gonna have a south wind not right for hunting our blind that we normally use so that's why it's on the other side of the pond.. Puddlers mixed gadwall mallard in the hook then ringers in lines/pod out on the end and behind them. Image
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Hookers and blow.
Hbnel5on
hunter

Re: Mixing puddlers and ringnecks

Postby thomashamm2 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:35 pm

well im from wisconsin, so it might be a little different up here. We hunt a large pothole most of the season that puddlers and divers come into. We change the decoys depending on the ducks that are migrating and that we are seeing. During the mid season, where the wood ducks and teal are gone, we mix widgeon, ringnecks, and some mallards into the spread with some geese on the side. we use anywhere from 50 to 150 decoys. I would use that diagram you have there and put ringnecks on the outside towards the deeper water. I would put some of the puddlers closer to shore. I would use more divers that puddlers if youre seeing a lot of divers. just match what you see.
thomashamm2
hunter

Re: Mixing puddlers and ringnecks

Postby QuackAttack873 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:59 am

We usually run a mix of gadwalls ànd mallards out to 15 or 20 yards then run a line of either Ringnecks or bluebills on the outside.
Wack em' and Stack em'
QuackAttack873
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting