Perhaps someone can shed some light on this...

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Perhaps someone can shed some light on this...

Postby AutoFiveFanatic » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:24 am

Recently my hunting party and myself were hunting public land. Everything was going well until we were about to leave. We were in the process of folding down our boat blind when a flock of Canadian geese flew directly over our boat incredibly low. We weren't sky busting at all. Two of us lit up the sky and dropped two geese followed immediately by someone in the distance ring out,,"Are you f*n stupid?" We looked at each other in disbelief that someone would yell out across the marsh like that. We've been hunting a couple of years and have never come across such an experience such as this. We collected our birds and made our way down the creek to get the boat trailer. A few minutes later we heard another boat come tear a** down the creak at an incredibly fast pace and most likely messing up some decoy spreads near the mouth of the creek. The guys didn't say a word to us but I'm certain it was the same hunting party that hollered out. Question is...did my hunting party and myself do something wrong dropping geese that overflew our boat? Or were these guys just butthurt we dropped some honkers when they didn't fly over there boat? We've only been at this a couple years so I'm not sure we fully understand the etiquette of public hunting. What makes it confusing is no one in the area blew a goose call or was working these birds in the least since...they were just flying overhead. Perhaps someone could shed some light on this.
AutoFiveFanatic
hunter

Re: Perhaps someone can shed some light on this...

Postby cobbeaux » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:56 am

Sounds like just a good old case of butthurt to me. If you guys shot two out a flock, that would kind of suggest more towards the side of not sky busting, but rather more at the edge of shooting range.
Awwww man, I can't believe I did dat!

Red Leg Waterfowl Field Staff
cobbeaux
hunter

Postby YJSONLY » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:58 am

Sounds like they was in range to me! Butt hurt it is!
YJSONLY
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:47 pm

Would I be correct in guessing that the geese came from behind you? Was the voice in line with the direction that they were flying?
What I'm getting at is, it sounds as if they were on the high side behind you but en route to the other guys' spread and he saw them long before they "surprised" you...
He was pissed that you fired on birds that may have been locked in on him would be my guess....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby RShockley » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:36 pm

Slack Tide wrote:Would I be correct in guessing that the geese came from behind you? Was the voice in line with the direction that they were flying?
What I'm getting at is, it sounds as if they were on the high side behind you but en route to the other guys' spread and he saw them long before they "surprised" you...
He was pissed that you fired on birds that may have been locked in on him would be my guess....

That's the only reason I could think of someone getting mad in that situation.
RShockley
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:02 pm

Ive had that happen to me. setup and geese locked and guys on the other side shot em before they came in. Granted they could see my goose decoys and heard me calling so i know they knew they were coming into me. Thats probably why they were yelling. If you couldnt hear them calling or werent setup on top of them then screw em.
Rhock19
hunter

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:43 pm

X2 on what the last guys said. If they were committed to their decoys, and you killed them before they got there, I'd be mad too. Obviously you didn't do it on purpose though.
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
River Ramblin' Man
hunter

Postby AutoFiveFanatic » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:25 pm

That's why I found it so confusing...the flock came in our 10 o clock...directly over us. The man that yelled out was at our 2 o clock at least 200 plus yards from us. Not sure if he had goose dekes out or not but we never heard him call if he did. They weren't moving in his direction at all. We def heard the flock however. Definitely weren't trying to make anyone mad. It bothered us all because we didn't even know what we did wrong. Thanks for the clarification though gentleman. Seems like someone was just jealous.
AutoFiveFanatic
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:12 am

AutoFiveFanatic wrote:That's why I found it so confusing...the flock came in our 10 o clock...directly over us. The man that yelled out was at our 2 o clock at least 200 plus yards from us. Not sure if he had goose dekes out or not but we never heard him call if he did. They weren't moving in his direction at all. We def heard the flock however. Definitely weren't trying to make anyone mad. It bothered us all because we didn't even know what we did wrong. Thanks for the clarification though gentleman. Seems like someone was just jealous.

You sound like a good guy..so I believe the scenario...however...being new to this...you may not yet know...what you don't know..
For example, maybe the geese were circling and just on a turn to him when they came over you? Maybe he was calling and you thought it was the flock calling?....
Either way, the guy handled it like a jerk....just more to consider
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby HonkQuackBang » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:29 am

Just jealous you got them and he got nothing! Did use hail him? I mean dead shot falling on him,that he might not like!
HonkQuackBang
hunter

Postby AutoFiveFanatic » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:27 pm

HonkQuackBang wrote:Just jealous you got them and he got nothing! Did use hail him? I mean dead shot falling on him,that he might not like!

Nah, he was too far away for that. We've had steel falling on us before. It's annoying, but part of public hunting I suppose. I really need to find some private land to hunt on.
AutoFiveFanatic
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:53 am

In my opinion, if they are safe to shoot and in range i would take them. If birds swing wide of a guys spread two hundred yards away over your decoys 30 yards high i say shoot. It is the sport of hunting tough things happen sometimes. Some people need to harvest food for their familiys. I dont think someone like this which is most waterfowl hunters includeing me would pass up a opportunity to harvest game. Just dont skybust.
Good Luck in the field-Mike.
Mike657
hunter

Postby Greenheadindy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:45 pm

You sure they weren't cormorants? And why wasn't anyone else calling- you sure the goose season was open (they don't always run concurrent where I'm at.) If they weren't cormorants and the season was open, I'd say he was butt hurt (though for no reason IMO- bc how could they have been working him if he wasn't calling?)
Nice marmot
Greenheadindy
hunter

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:22 pm

Mike657 wrote:In my opinion, if they are safe to shoot and in range i would take them. If birds swing wide of a guys spread two hundred yards away over your decoys 30 yards high i say shoot. It is the sport of hunting tough things happen sometimes. Some people need to harvest food for their familiys. I dont think someone like this which is most waterfowl hunters includeing me would pass up a opportunity to harvest game. Just dont skybust.

People like you are why I don't hunt popular public marshes. Shooting birds that are making a pass one someone else's spread is idiotic. I don't care if they're in range or not, YOU didn't decoy those birds. And to say that people waterfowl hunt to feed their families is moronic. You could buy a ton of food for the cost of decoys, a gun, waders, gas, shells, waterproof clothing, etc. Your family will not starve because you didn't come home with any birds.

OP disregard most of what Mike's post says, except the sky busting part. I don't think you did anything wrong in the mentioned scenario, but don't knowingly shoot birds that are working someone else's spread.
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
River Ramblin' Man
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:14 pm

I would have to disagree with the saying that waterfowl hunting to feed a family is moronic. I am fortunate enough for my family not to depend on my daily bag limit of waterfowl, but who is to say that every waterfowler is that fortunate. You don't need "top of the line gear" to hunt. Maybe I might use a bow and arrow or walk to the spot on my property instead of useing gas. There are a myriad of different scenarios concerning every man or womans life. If waterfowl hunting was my family's only way of haveing food; I would find that a flagrant display of offense that you would suggest that my means of supporting my family is "moronic".

I wrote my post trying to say to AFF that what he did was fine. Which you also confirmed in your post, and we both confirmed the idea of skybusting to be wrong. I am glad to see that we both agree on the main points of the thread. It is up to AFF if he decides to disregard what I said. We both have different opinions. I voiced mine, and you voiced yours. I totally respect your thoughts on the side subject. Happy New Year and good luck in the field-Mike
Mike657
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:21 am

Only other thing I can think of is they may have had ducks working them.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:36 pm

Is there some person out there that has hunted waterfowl to feed their family? Probably. But I'll explain why suggesting people hunting waterfowl to feed their family is "moronic" in this scenario.

Mike657 wrote:Maybe I might use a bow and arrow

You're reasoning for finding it acceptable to shoot birds making a pass on someone else's spread was that they may need to feed their family, correct? Well if you're shooting birds circling someone's spread, you probably aren't using a bow, are you? If you are I dare say that your family will go hungry. because shooting ducks on the wing with a bow seems like a low-odds way to be trying to feed your family.

Mike657 wrote:or walk to the spot on my property instead of useing gas

Well if you're hunting YOUR property then you're probably never going to be faced with this scenario, right? Shouldn't be much competition on your own land.

I don't think that hunting waterfowl to feed your family is moronic. I'd say it's almost completely nonexistent, but not moronic. What I find moronic is that you used that as a reason to justify killing birds working someone else's spread. Heck, maybe the guys that were working the birds needed them to feed their families! You just caused that poor family to starve.

Mike657 wrote:Happy New Year and good luck in the field-Mike

Back at ya Mike.
River Ramblin' Man
hunter

Postby Sclf » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:26 pm

If they shot and killed two out of the group...they were in range...period! A bird in the hand right? Those people had no reason to be upset even if they did think that group was on their way to them. That's what public hunting is, you take the birds you can take. Now if y'all didn't kill any out of the group, I can see a reason to be upset.
As far as hunting to feed your family, to me it would be cheaper to go to the grocery store. If I ever figured how much I spend per pound of meat I bring home, it would probly shock me. And, I am fortunate enough to hunt some good spots with very good success. Bringing home meat for the table is simply a bonus for me. I figure a limit of 6 ducks will give you about 2 lbs of meat (that's what I got out of the gaddys I shot this weekend after breasting them .) I spend about $20 in gas to get to my lease, then add cost of shells, lease, equipment, etc..doesn't seem cost effective, but ain't it fun?!
Sclf
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:59 pm

I totally agree with you about the idea of shooting waterfowl on the wing with a bow to be unconventional. I know a guy who does it, and it is a pain in the a#$. I used that scenario about passing birds to prove the point to AFF that he did nothing wrong. The intention of my post was not to veer into an arguement about feeding our familys. As mentioned earlier there are a myriad of different scenarios regaurding a persons family life. I hunt mostly at my private club where the blinds are usualy filled. I do sometimes hunt public land. I have been in the same scenario as AFF. I stated how I handle it and swear by the rule take what you can get on public land. This may have not been the best scenario for a person to rely soley on their bag of birds to feed their family. I understand that. There are probably some people who feed their familys by waterfowl hunting. This all reinforces the idea of not knowing peoples life scenarios. For all we know people could be in this same scenario. I have read some of your posts, and you seem like a good ethical hunter. I am glad we cleared the differences in this conversation. Safe and happy hunting to you-Mike.
Mike657
hunter

Postby Johnny-O » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:33 pm

Had the same sort of situation myself last year, public hunting on the Mississippi river back waters of pool 9. Unfortunately we set up about 150 yards from another group. Neither of us knew the other was there because there was a small island between us.

The morning was a little slow and then a dozen or so Mallards buzzed the far outside edge of our decoys. I started calling at their tails as they circled the back side of the island and evidently buzzed the other group. So now they're calling, and I'm calling, and this goes on for probably 4-5 passes. Finally they circle tight right over the decoys at maybe 25 yards and we take 2 birds. Needless to say the rest bugged out.

So a couple hours later we're leaving and a guy waves us down as we're going by the island. Starts yelling a bit about how WE were shooting his birds and how WE were set up too close to him. I just kept going. The other group never pulled a trigger on those birds so evidently they liked my set-up better than theirs. I have no idea who was there first, but again, there was no way to tell.

I think we all know what's ethical and what's not. Bottom line though, if I'm hunting over decoys and birds buzz my spread in range, I'm shooting. I'm not going to worry that they may have made a pass over another guy's spread. Who's to say they weren't heading my way in the first place. Pitfalls of public hunting.
Johnny-O
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:46 am

Public hunting is managed to get as many hunters into a given area as is safely possible. Distance between blinds can be 150-200 yards and sometimes less despite rules saying you must be at least 200 yards apart.
Previous poster said them geese must have been on the way to upset guys spread...hard to tell with blinds so close.

I hunt a place like that and its hard to tell if you are calling at their swing ducks or they are calling at yours at times. 200 yards is too close but is the rule we use on public.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby xtrema13 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:49 pm

Depends on how many you educated. It's already tough hunting geese as it is. And were they giving the other group hunting a look.

Sent from my Tim Grounds Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:35 am

aunt betty wrote:Public hunting is managed to get as many hunters into a given area as is safely possible. Distance between blinds can be 150-200 yards and sometimes less despite rules saying you must be at least 200 yards apart.
Previous poster said them geese must have been on the way to upset guys spread...hard to tell with blinds so close.
I hunt a place like that and its hard to tell if you are calling at their swing ducks or they are calling at yours at times. 200 yards is too close but is the rule we use on public.

It's not like that here...it's just giant open marshes and a ramp here and there...people just go where they want and it's up to them to police their own distances...in general, we don't have that many guys, so it pretty much works out. You won't have too much trouble with guys clipping your birds that would have dropped in on you, but more just guys pounding at far birds so badly, that the entire area gets vacated of birds before the sun is fully up
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby On the X » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:09 pm

Mike657 wrote:In my opinion, if they are safe to shoot and in range i would take them. If birds swing wide of a guys spread two hundred yards away over your decoys 30 yards high i say shoot. It is the sport of hunting tough things happen sometimes. Some people need to harvest food for their familiys. I dont think someone like this which is most waterfowl hunters includeing me would pass up a opportunity to harvest game. Just dont skybust.

If you've ever had this done to you, then you know how bad it sucks, if you do this to others I hope it's done back on you.
On the X
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:57 pm

It has happened to me, and most likely you too. What can I say.............Its public land.
Mike657
hunter

Next

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting