Perhaps someone can shed some light on this...

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Re: Perhaps someone can shed some light on this...

Postby On the X » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:07 pm

Mike657 wrote:It has happened to me, and most likely you too. What can I say.............Its public land.

What you, and everyone else should say is........"respect the public on public land".
On the X
hunter
 
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:34 pm


Re: Perhaps someone can shed some light on this...

Postby Mike657 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:14 pm

On the x, one quick question how many blinds are on tour public hunting grounds???
Good Luck in the field-Mike.
Mike657
hunter
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:39 am

Re: Perhaps someone can shed some light on this...

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:56 am

Mike657 wrote: What can I say.............Its public land.

"All that evil needs to persist, is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

You will be amazed how you can set or change the tone of a spot by being "that guy"......
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5705
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: Perhaps someone can shed some light on this...

Postby agengo02 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:22 pm

OP did the right thing. It's not his job to determine if birds are working others spreads. 2 people shot and 2 geese fell. Yall had the opportunity and took it so no reason to second guess yourself.

I only hunt heavily pressured public land and encounter similar situations regularly. Mostly it will be a group working my spread/area and nearby hunters shoot at groups over their spread which will flare my ducks. It's frustrating, but not unethical. They don't need to worry about whether them shooting negatively affects my situation, just the way it goes.

To the poster asking about the number of birds OP "educated"; do you pass on large groups too? If a group of 60 drop in, do you pass until a smaller group comes in order to educate a lesser percentage of the group? Also, based off OP's description, what education did these birds receive? Flying low over water with no decoys present and an exposed boat means you get shot at. Don't know a whole lot of goose hunters that hunt like that so I would bet you are ok.

The guys were probably just mad they missed out on the low flying geese.
agengo02
hunter
 
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: tx

Re: Perhaps someone can shed some light on this...

Postby Mike657 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:31 pm

agengo02 wrote:OP did the right thing. It's not his job to determine if birds are working others spreads. 2 people shot and 2 geese fell. Yall had the opportunity and took it so no reason to second guess yourself.

I only hunt heavily pressured public land and encounter similar situations regularly. Mostly it will be a group working my spread/area and nearby hunters shoot at groups over their spread which will flare my ducks. It's frustrating, but not unethical. They don't need to worry about whether them shooting negatively affects my situation, just the way it goes.

To the poster asking about the number of birds OP "educated"; do you pass on large groups too? If a group of 60 drop in, do you pass until a smaller group comes in order to educate a lesser percentage of the group? Also, based off OP's description, what education did these birds receive? Flying low over water with no decoys present and an exposed boat means you get shot at. Don't know a whole lot of goose hunters that hunt like that so I would bet you are ok.

The guys were probably just mad they missed out on the low flying geese.
Thank you :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :beer: :beer:
Good Luck in the field-Mike.
Mike657
hunter
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:39 am

Re: Perhaps someone can shed some light on this...

Postby On the X » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:41 pm

Mike657 wrote:On the x, one quick question how many blinds are on tour public hunting grounds???

None, but I still hunt public waters, just not areas so over crowded as to have to worry about working ducks being shot at while working. I gave that up a long time ago. I've been hunting long enough (27 years) to remember not having to worry about this. I know killing what you're hunting for is a big part of the hunt but not the only part. I don't get any enjoyment knowing I intentionally, without remorse , helped to cause someone else to have the opposite. To the OP, sounds like you had no idea so in your case you did nothing wrong.
On the X
hunter
 
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:34 pm

Re: Perhaps someone can shed some light on this...

Postby Mike657 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:12 pm

On the X, I am glad that I have given up the crowded public hunting too. I now enjoy hunting on private land with my family. We go out there to have fun and make memories. It is not my only intension to kill birds. For instance this year we had a coyote walk into our decoys and bite a teal decoy. I would trade that for harvesting any kind of bird anyday. FYI you have been hunting alot longer than me, and i am sure you have seen a great deal of amaizing things. In the end hunting is here for us to enjoy, and to make memories with our loved ones and friends. Im sorry if you thought that i am out there just to kill birds. It is important that we dont get caught up on educating every bird that flies by, but to cherish and preserve this good sport while we still have it. Good luck in the field -Mike :smile:
Good Luck in the field-Mike.
Mike657
hunter
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:39 am

Re: Perhaps someone can shed some light on this...

Postby On the X » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:42 pm

Mike657 wrote:On the X, I am glad that I have given up the crowded public hunting too. I now enjoy hunting on private land with my family. We go out there to have fun and make memories. It is not my only intension to kill birds. For instance this year we had a coyote walk into our decoys and bite a teal decoy. I would trade that for harvesting any kind of bird anyday. FYI you have been hunting alot longer than me, and i am sure you have seen a great deal of amaizing things. In the end hunting is here for us to enjoy, and to make memories with our loved ones and friends. Im sorry if you thought that i am out there just to kill birds. It is important that we dont get caught up on educating every bird that flies by, but to cherish and preserve this good sport while we still have it. Good luck in the field -Mike :smile:

Mike, good luck to you too buddy, and remember, others are out there trying to make their own great memories, lets not spoil it for them as we don't want them spoiling ours. :thumbsup:
On the X
hunter
 
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:34 pm

Re: Perhaps someone can shed some light on this...

Postby Mike657 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:34 pm

:thumbsup:
Good Luck in the field-Mike.
Mike657
hunter
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:39 am

Re: Perhaps someone can shed some light on this...

Postby mudpack » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:57 pm

AutoFiveFanatic wrote: The man that yelled out was at our 2 o clock at least 200 plus yards from us.

AutoFiveFanatic wrote:
HonkQuackBang wrote:... dead shot falling on him,that he might not like!

Nah, he was too far away for that.

Even 300 yards away could have been rained on, although I doubt an experienced hunter would get vocal about that; we ALL get rained on when we're hunting.

The guy who yelled might have been talking to his buddy, too, for something you never knew about.
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 6198
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: Perhaps someone can shed some light on this...

Postby mudpack » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:00 pm

agengo02 wrote:OP did the right thing. It's not his job to determine if birds are working others spreads.

I disagree. If the birds you are thinking about shooting at are working another hunter's spread, you damn well better make that determination and hold your fire. :thumbsup:

If there are TWO groups of birds working; one on his spread and one on yours....and the birds working yours come in range first....then too bad, amigo!
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 6198
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: Perhaps someone can shed some light on this...

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:31 am

mudpack wrote:
agengo02 wrote:OP did the right thing. It's not his job to determine if birds are working others spreads.

I disagree. If the birds you are thinking about shooting at are working another hunter's spread, you damn well better make that determination and hold your fire. :thumbsup:

If there are TWO groups of birds working; one on his spread and one on yours....and the birds working yours come in range first....then too bad, amigo!


100%
The problem as I see it is the difference between guys who think that hunting is about simply coming home with birds....it is....but not at any means necessary. It's about having birds committed to your rig....THEN getting the birds...
Remember that the first post was from a guy who was a self described newbie asking us what happened....it's not that he's a bad guy, on the contrary he seems like a good guy.....but as a newbie, it's likely that he may have misread the scenario...
that's all
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5705
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: Perhaps someone can shed some light on this...

Postby mudpack » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:10 am

Slack Tide wrote:Remember that the first post was from a guy who was a self described newbie asking us what happened....it's not that he's a bad guy, on the contrary he seems like a good guy.....but as a newbie, it's likely that he may have misread the scenario...that's all

Oh, I agree 100%; it's easy enough to misread as an experienced hunter. As a noob, it's more likely to be a misread than not.
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 6198
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: Perhaps someone can shed some light on this...

Postby agengo02 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:05 am

mudpack wrote:
agengo02 wrote:OP did the right thing. It's not his job to determine if birds are working others spreads.

I disagree. If the birds you are thinking about shooting at are working another hunter's spread, you damn well better make that determination and hold your fire. :thumbsup:

If there are TWO groups of birds working; one on his spread and one on yours....and the birds working yours come in range first....then too bad, amigo!



So you are watching other hunters spread when you are out hunting? I watch my spread and don't give any thought to what others are doing. Mostly I am way too hunkered down in the grass or brush to even see other hunters (mostly know their locations/distance by their calling).

I think many of the replies are "what if" situations; what if they were making a huge circle from their spread, etc. Based off the facts presented, the other hunters were probably pissed because they saw those geese as flying low possibly right for them. Unfortunately for them, they flew over another group first. Nothing to get mad about and it would be no different if those geese happened to fly over the pissed off group and they took shots.

Again OP's actions were neither unethical nor wrong.

:beer:
agengo02
hunter
 
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: tx

Re: Perhaps someone can shed some light on this...

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:13 am

agengo02 wrote:Again OP's actions were neither unethical nor wrong.
:beer:


No doubt...and more yet, he had no wrong intentions....
BUT...
You've all seen the foul ball going up into the stands, and the kid that it's going right for.....and here comes the fat jerk spilling his popcorn as he leans way out to intercept the ball right from the kids mitt......
You know the guy.... :thumbsup:
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5705
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: Perhaps someone can shed some light on this...

Postby agengo02 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:19 am

Slack Tide wrote:
agengo02 wrote:Again OP's actions were neither unethical nor wrong.
:beer:


No doubt...and more yet, he had no wrong intentions....
BUT...
You've all seen the foul ball going up into the stands, and the kid that it's going right for.....and here comes the fat jerk spilling his popcorn as he leans way out to intercept the ball right from the kids mitt......
You know the guy.... :thumbsup:


Ya I definitely get what you're saying, but that is taking the assumption that the other hunter was in the right and the OP just didn't know what he was doing. I still contend a group of low flying geese is fair game to the first group that gets a shot at them.
agengo02
hunter
 
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: tx

Re: Perhaps someone can shed some light on this...

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:23 am

agengo02 wrote: but that is taking the assumption that the other hunter was in the right and the OP just didn't know what he was doing.

But I make that assumption based on the fact that he said that he's only been hunting for a few years....It's quite likely that the other guy was not just some loud mouth, but a guy who was watching the cupped geese that he'd been calling get clipped...
we can go round and round....I know what you are saying...I'm just debating.
Only OP knows (in hindsight) if the geese were low because they were, in fact, heading for that guy...
With this thread, I'm sure he will be more aware next time.. :thumbsup:
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5705
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: Perhaps someone can shed some light on this...

Postby agengo02 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:51 am

Slack Tide wrote:
agengo02 wrote: but that is taking the assumption that the other hunter was in the right and the OP just didn't know what he was doing.

But I make that assumption based on the fact that he said that he's only been hunting for a few years....It's quite likely that the other guy was not just some loud mouth, but a guy who was watching the cupped geese that he'd been calling get clipped...
we can go round and round....I know what you are saying...I'm just debating.
Only OP knows (in hindsight) if the geese were low because they were, in fact, heading for that guy...
With this thread, I'm sure he will be more aware next time.. :thumbsup:


See it's been my experience that the older guys have the "every bird in the area is mine/is working my spread" attitude. I gotcha though.

My counter app says it's 179 days 19 hours 39 minutes & 32 seconds until early teal shooting time. (Side note, my first baby will be born in 209 days so I'm just trying to bide my time on both fronts).

:beer:
agengo02
hunter
 
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: tx

Re: Perhaps someone can shed some light on this...

Postby On the X » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:29 pm

If the OP did not know he shot geese that were working anothers spread he did nothing wrong, if he or anyone else knows but shoots anyway.....they did a huge wrong. PERIOD !!!!
On the X
hunter
 
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:34 pm

Re: Perhaps someone can shed some light on this...

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:44 pm

agengo02 wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:
agengo02 wrote: but that is taking the assumption that the other hunter was in the right and the OP just didn't know what he was doing.

But I make that assumption based on the fact that he said that he's only been hunting for a few years....It's quite likely that the other guy was not just some loud mouth, but a guy who was watching the cupped geese that he'd been calling get clipped...
we can go round and round....I know what you are saying...I'm just debating.
Only OP knows (in hindsight) if the geese were low because they were, in fact, heading for that guy...
With this thread, I'm sure he will be more aware next time.. :thumbsup:


See it's been my experience that the older guys have the "every bird in the area is mine/is working my spread" attitude. I gotcha though.

My counter app says it's 179 days 19 hours 39 minutes & 32 seconds until early teal shooting time. (Side note, my first baby will be born in 209 days so I'm just trying to bide my time on both fronts).

:beer:

Congratulations.....! Very cool.....Prep, Prep and double prep.....and the nest advice I can give you is.....learn to shoot the tides and the PM.....because babies and dawn shoots dont work.....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5705
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: Perhaps someone can shed some light on this...

Postby agengo02 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:34 am

Slack Tide wrote:
agengo02 wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:
agengo02 wrote: but that is taking the assumption that the other hunter was in the right and the OP just didn't know what he was doing.

But I make that assumption based on the fact that he said that he's only been hunting for a few years....It's quite likely that the other guy was not just some loud mouth, but a guy who was watching the cupped geese that he'd been calling get clipped...
we can go round and round....I know what you are saying...I'm just debating.
Only OP knows (in hindsight) if the geese were low because they were, in fact, heading for that guy...
With this thread, I'm sure he will be more aware next time.. :thumbsup:


See it's been my experience that the older guys have the "every bird in the area is mine/is working my spread" attitude. I gotcha though.

My counter app says it's 179 days 19 hours 39 minutes & 32 seconds until early teal shooting time. (Side note, my first baby will be born in 209 days so I'm just trying to bide my time on both fronts).

:beer:

Congratulations.....! Very cool.....Prep, Prep and double prep.....and the nest advice I can give you is.....learn to shoot the tides and the PM.....because babies and dawn shoots dont work.....



Man I've got it all figured out. I'll wake up and do the 2am feeding and hang out with the baby and hopefully it will go back to sleep by 4, then I'll roll out and shoot my ducks. Really my wife is the one that came up with that one.

Thanks for the congrats

:beer:
agengo02
hunter
 
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: tx

Re: Perhaps someone can shed some light on this...

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:54 am

agengo02 wrote:Man I've got it all figured out. hopefully it
:beer:


I think you've got some additional figuring to do...... :lol3: :fingerpt: :lol3:
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5705
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: Perhaps someone can shed some light on this...

Postby agengo02 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:57 am

Slack Tide wrote:
agengo02 wrote:Man I've got it all figured out. hopefully it
:beer:


I think you've got some additional figuring to do...... :lol3: :fingerpt: :lol3:


We are actually waiting to find out the sex until the day of delivery for this first one at least. She wants to know but I always thought it would be cool to not know until the doctor hands the baby over and says it. I'm leaning boy though. Just a gut feeling.

:beer:
agengo02
hunter
 
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: tx

Re: Perhaps someone can shed some light on this...

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:09 am

agengo02 wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:
agengo02 wrote:Man I've got it all figured out. hopefully it
:beer:


I think you've got some additional figuring to do...... :lol3: :fingerpt: :lol3:


We are actually waiting to find out the sex until the day of delivery for this first one at least. She wants to know but I always thought it would be cool to not know until the doctor hands the baby over and says it. I'm leaning boy though. Just a gut feeling.

:beer:


OOOOOOOOOOOOOkkkk...sorry...I forgot...I thought the baby was born....
Awesome for you to NOT NOT NOT find out...I've never understood that, and I didn't find out for either of my boys and I"m grateful that I did not..
It's a magical moment for sure.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5705
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: Perhaps someone can shed some light on this...

Postby agengo02 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:03 am

Yup October 13 is the due date. Right in between early teal and big duck opener.
agengo02
hunter
 
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: tx

Previous

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests