Hunting just for sport?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Hunting just for sport?

Postby fadetoblack188 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:39 am

Any of you guys just hunt for sport and not eat the birds? I love love duck hunting. But buffleheads , brant etc aren't the best tasting ducks.

What do you guys do with the ducks? I don't want to just get rid of them I don't feel that is right.

Anyone donate them, feed to dogs, feed to other animals. Just want to see what everyone does.
fadetoblack188
hunter

Re: Hunting just for sport?

Postby Dave63 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:53 am

If you aren't willing to eat it, don't shoot it. Simple. :hammer:
Dave63
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:11 pm

cant donate birds here.

but we eat everything we kill here. but we dont kill any mergnsers. but we eat about everything else. we just breast them out, and toss the rest in the woods behind my house and let the coons, vultures, and coyotes eat it.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby fadetoblack188 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:32 pm

Yes I agrees..

Yea technically if the raccoons are eating it, it isn't going to waste
fadetoblack188
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:23 am

If it's too gamey for you, make jerky. That's what I do with geese. Ducks are good in Italian dressing and grilled etc. though I think.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:32 am

I would reccomend trying new recipes to make it taste good. My rules are that if I kill it I eat it. You can even make coot taste good if you butterfly it and saute it in garlic butter minced garlic an onions. As duck stank said jerky is a great idea.Good luck in the field-Mike.
Last edited by Mike657 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good Luck in the field-Mike.
Mike657
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:15 pm

Mike657 wrote:I know a guy who sells his birds to various Asian restaraunts. I would reccomend trying new recipes to make it taste good. My rules are that if I kill it I eat it. You can even make coot taste good if you butterfly it and saute it in garlic butter minced garlic an onions. As duck stank said jerky is a great idea.Good luck in the field-Mike.

You know its illegal to sell wild ducks that you kill?
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:26 pm

thomashamm2 wrote:
Mike657 wrote:I know a guy who sells his birds to various Asian restaraunts. I would reccomend trying new recipes to make it taste good. My rules are that if I kill it I eat it. You can even make coot taste good if you butterfly it and saute it in garlic butter minced garlic an onions. As duck stank said jerky is a great idea.Good luck in the field-Mike.

You know its illegal to sell wild ducks that you kill?

That's what I thought...
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:03 pm

Um well its not me doing. If it is illegal everywhere then don't do it. I will edit that out emmediatly thank you for informing me of that.
Mike657
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:46 pm

Shoot clays...sporting and not eatable
"Three can keep a secret, if two are dead"
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:15 am

Couple years ago I swapped a mallard for a (rare here) buffie to give it the same pan test with a teal. Skinned and filleted both and found the little diver darker meat that I thought smelled a tad stronger if I put my nose to it, so my expectations weren't high. But, without soaking or marinating, I sauteed both birds in butter with just a dash of Lawry's seasoning and ate them while still pink in the middle. I was surprised by how little difference I found in the two, and can't imagine anyone knowing the difference had I cooked them any of a number of other ways, like shish kabob, with more seasoning. Don't believe I'd want to eat any duck someone who screws up bufflehead cooked.

So I'd suggest working on your cooking skills, as you're missing some good eats.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:03 am

Rick Hall wrote:So I'd suggest working on your cooking skills, as you're missing some good eats.

^ This. A brine works wonders for those that "don't like duck".

Start there, and try some new recipes.
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby TomKat » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:13 am

Dave63 wrote:If you aren't willing to eat it, don't shoot it. Simple. :hammer:

So tell me this. Whats the difference if I shoot a coot and eat it or I give it to the coyotes? Neither way the coot is wasted; his death sustains life in the ecosystem of planet earth.

Blog- http://www.ksducks.com
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby blackrock » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:42 am

I'm with Dave. It seems to me the difference is pretty damn obvious. The coyote can and does catch his own food. Some people were obviously raised and taught to hunt differently. I view all the waterfowl and marsh birds as having inherent value and beauty beyond targets. Lots of time I am content to just watch and hear the rush of wings overhead.......
blackrock
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:24 am

It's called WANTON WASTE folks and it is illegal. Further-If you don't respect the bird enough to eat it after you kill it, get the hell out of waterfowl hunting. There is no place for you in our sport. Too many tools these days getting into waterfowl hunting just to pump up their own egos and maybe to try to offset other "shortcomings" by bragging about putting piles of birds on the ground. From my heart guys-you that do that make me sick. Seek life elsewhere and don't ever let me hear you talking about it in person. You won't like what happens.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:03 pm

I was raised by the princapal of if you shoot it you have to eat it. Thats what my grandpa taught me, and my dad also taught me this. I will teach my kids this when they start to hunt.
Mike657
hunter

Postby Leaky-NY » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:53 pm

I grew up where what we killed was used for the table. Also I grew up helping my Grandmother in the kitchen. Not everybody is a cook but, you can learn and find recipes for what you have taken. One of the best things is you try someone else's recipe write it down. I have a folder full od hand written chow ideas and it comes in handy.

Leaky
If it aint ducks, Dogs or boats I cant talk now!
Leaky-NY
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:16 pm

Nothing new but just adding my vote. If you know in advance you are not going to eat it, don't shoot it. Period. You can rationalize and make excuses,but it is wrong, both ethically and legally. This behavior seems to be more prevelant in the minds of non-hunters than in reality. Ive heard many non-hunters (as opposed to anti-hunters) claim they have no problem with others hunting if they are going to eat what they kill. We don't need to push more of them to the other side by encouraging this behavior. We have enough against us as it is.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby RShockley » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:46 pm

If you aren't going to use the bird then find a new hobby. My dad and I are the only ones that really eat the ducks in are family. If we have some that we think might go to waste we are always sure to donate them.
RShockley
hunter

Postby Pamunkey Paddler » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:06 pm

I found out by trial and error which birds were etible and which ones were just a lost cause. I don't waste a shell on something I won't eat. I was taught to only shoot what you eat and that's what I taught my boys. I know a lot of people that shoot ducks just to get some shooting then don't want to eat them. As others have said not only is that illegal but it is unethical. I won't take anyone hunting that is like that and it does not matter what sort of game it is.
Pamunkey Paddler
Newb

Postby Tealer » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:33 pm

Salt birds are usually better in the grinder pile, I grind all the really shot up birds and salters for peperoni. Brant however is a fine meal, the few ties it has crossed my table it went fast, to fast.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby vlb » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:56 am

Don't we all hunt for sport or fun? I figure I could buy good beef at the butcher for less then it costs me to hunt.I let more then a few flights of ducks by , just to watch them fly by so quiet. No I don't kill every duck that comes my way and there are some I just will not even shoot at.Its called hunting for a reason , you don't always shoot every duck that flies by, nor do you kill every duck that flies by.
vlb
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:42 am

This is always an interesting topic...
I can tell you one thing....you are what you eat...(meaning the ducks)
You guys preaching the gospel of Want/Waste have never had the pleasure of cutting open a duck that has been roosting in a canal that has a fuel slick and coffee cups floating on it.....or a goose that has been eating fake grass and fertilizer on a golf course or pecking barnacles off a creosote pole..
I have hunted those beautiful birds that eat corn and rice and then retire to the fresh water spring...and they are great.
BUT:
Where I am from (NY)..you are allowed to shoot Mergansers but told flat out in the Reg;s DONT EAT THEM....
Lot's of cultures would be appalled at the shooting of cayotes, coons and carp they way lots of guys do as nuisance critters.

That being said, I completely agree that there is a culture of guys that are into face paint and things that go bang (Look for the Dodge with the Monster Energy drink sticker on the back)....and that's just crazy to make no effort to retrieve, eat, give away or otherwise use...

Guys here catch Horseshoe Crabs and then chop them up for eel pot bait....is that not want/waste because they didn't eat them? So if I were to grind up ducks for my dogs or for fishing chum, give away the feathers to fly tying guys, bury the carcass in the garden for fertilizer, eat a few and give some away.......
What's the problem?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:48 am

dsm16428 wrote:It's called WANTON WASTE folks and it is illegal. Further-If you don't respect the bird enough to eat it after you kill it, get the hell out of waterfowl hunting. There is no place for you in our sport. Too many tools these days getting into waterfowl hunting just to pump up their own egos and maybe to try to offset other "shortcomings" by bragging about putting piles of birds on the ground. From my heart guys-you that do that make me sick. Seek life elsewhere and don't ever let me hear you talking about it in person. You won't like what happens.

X2
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby blackrock » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:08 am

What the hell? If you won't or can't eat the birds (due to pollution) then don't shoot them. No respect. Go back to your video games.....
blackrock
hunter

Next

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting