Hunting just for sport?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Re: Hunting just for sport?

Postby noweil » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:12 pm

Dave63 wrote:If you aren't willing to eat it, don't shoot it. Simple. :hammer:

Plain and simple.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:53 pm

noweil wrote:

Plain and simple.

Oversimplified........

I wonder how many of you are going to thump this drum but are "pro-choice".....boy wouldn't that be a great debate....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:53 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
noweil wrote:

Plain and simple.

Oversimplified........

I wonder how many of you are going to thump this drum but are "pro-choice".....boy wouldn't that be a great debate....

Oh my...
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:47 pm

Duck_Stank wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:
noweil wrote:

Plain and simple.

Oversimplified........

Oh my...

Mind you....this is purely a point of debate......
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:53 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
Duck_Stank wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:
noweil wrote:

Plain and simple.

Oversimplified........

Oh my...

Mind you....this is purely a point of debate......

Oh I know, I like your style though. A good forum war is always fun ha.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby joemc » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:06 pm

man aint nothing like having some roasted duck, most ducks taste good so why not eat them unless your a sissy and don't eat wild game.
TEAM FOWL ADDICTION
2013/14 season
deer-3
woodies-1
ruddys-14
canvasback-2
Canada geese-16
turkey-2 big toms
joemc
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:23 pm

I can cook.....and cook well.....
Here duck is a livery texture.....the aroma of a tampon early in the cycle.....seasoned with a dripping of an ear infection......other than that it's pretty good (as I respect the duck I shot :no: :no: :no: )
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:41 pm

Love how guys get all puffed up about people not wanting to eat a coot, spoonies, or sky carp.
If you clean it, cook it, then decide its inedible and feed it to the dog...GASP.
Define "waste" please and be very careful. You know you wasted some bacon once because you burned it GASP!
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:12 am

Go shoot clays. They taste better than banded birds. How is that lanyard looking.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:45 am

Slack Tide wrote:I can cook.....and cook well.....
Here duck is a livery texture.....the aroma of a tampon early in the cycle.....seasoned with a dripping of an ear infection......other than that it's pretty good (as I respect the duck I shot :no: :no: :no: )

Man! You gotta get out of those south shore mud flats and boat canals and hunt the north shore. We get 6 and 8 foot tides that flush all that crap out in one cycle. About the only problem we have is with the brant. There isn't much eel grass up this way, so they feed on sea cabbage. You have to soak them in milk for a couple or three days to get the liver taste out.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:27 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:

Man! You gotta get out of those south shore mud flats and boat canals and hunt the north shore. We get 6 and 8 foot tides that flush all that crap out in one cycle. About the only problem we have is with the brant. There isn't much eel grass up this way, so they feed on sea cabbage. You have to soak them in milk for a couple or three days to get the liver taste out.
Frank[/quoe]
What's that? An invite? On the last day of the season? :thumbsup:
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Brandon_Rad » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:23 am

Soak the breasts in milk for a day or two an it takes the strong diver duck taste out of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brandon_Rad
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:52 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
Frank Lopez wrote:

Frank

What's that? An invite? On the last day of the season? :thumbsup:

I would have been, had I checked the forum earlier. Slack, you're always welcome up here. Just tell me when. :wink:

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Saltwater_Assassin » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:58 pm

fadetoblack188 wrote:Any of you guys just hunt for sport and not eat the birds? I love love duck hunting. But buffleheads , brant etc aren't the best tasting ducks.

What do you guys do with the ducks? I don't want to just get rid of them I don't feel that is right.

Anyone donate them, feed to dogs, feed to other animals. Just want to see what everyone does.

Unless Buffies taste different in your part of the country, they are tasty here. Problem I see most from first hand experience is that most people don't know how to cook ducks. I don't mean anything thing by this toward you guys I just see it often and would like to offer an easy way to make birds taste very good. I cook hoodies, scaup, buffies the same as I do my puddlers. Growing up a South Louisiana boy, I was shown excellent ways of preparing and cooking our wild game. The recipe I provided is an easy recipe to follow and will surely provide you with some tasty ducks to eat. Also look at some of Indaswamp's recipes in the recipe section. That mans recipes are outstanding.

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=224486
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible"
- George Washington
Saltwater_Assassin
hunter

Postby KRB » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:22 pm

Look's awesome, I will try that. Thank's :beer:
KRB
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:26 pm

Saltwater_Assassin wrote:
fadetoblack188 wrote:Any of you guys just hunt for sport and not eat the birds? I love love duck hunting. But buffleheads , brant etc aren't the best tasting ducks.

What do you guys do with the ducks? I don't want to just get rid of them I don't feel that is right.

Anyone donate them, feed to dogs, feed to other animals. Just want to see what everyone does.

Unless Buffies taste different in your part of the country, they are tasty here. Problem I see most from first hand experience is that most people don't know how to cook ducks. I don't mean anything thing by this toward you guys I just see it often and would like to offer an easy way to make birds taste very good. I cook hoodies, scaup, buffies the same as I do my puddlers. Growing up a South Louisiana boy, I was shown excellent ways of preparing and cooking our wild game. The recipe I provided is an easy recipe to follow and will surely provide you with some tasty ducks to eat. Also look at some of Indaswamp's recipes in the recipe section. That mans recipes are outstanding.

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=224486

And I too will try to be fair as you are clearly a good cook.....

First, I'm pretty sure in the actual regs in my area once advised against the cooking of skin, fat and bones as they contain the highest concentration of toxins etc....so that's strike one...
Second, being that your region of the country boasts some if the highest obesity, diabetes and heart disease we have, I wonder about the strategy of detoxing the gaminess (here we call it vage skank, bay suzz, afterbirth, coooz etc)....with the duo of two kinds of swine that I'm guessing you don't drain off..
Third, please see points one and two again.....

Other than that, it looks fantastic.....it actually looks like that old recipe that ends with "then throw it all out and eat the pot"..... :thumbsup:
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby hydrilla » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:52 pm

dsm16428 wrote:It's called WANTON WASTE folks and it is illegal. Further-If you don't respect the bird enough to eat it after you kill it, get the hell out of waterfowl hunting. There is no place for you in our sport. Too many tools these days getting into waterfowl hunting just to pump up their own egos and maybe to try to offset other "shortcomings" by bragging about putting piles of birds on the ground. From my heart guys-you that do that make me sick. Seek life elsewhere and don't ever let me hear you talking about it in person. You won't like what happens.

Technically, if you read 50 CFR 20 from the Fish and Wildlife Service release regarding migratory bird hunting, 20.25 describes Wanton Waste and says nothing about eating any migratory birds. It simply states that reasonable effort must be made to recover killed or wounded birds, meaning you can't shoot them and leave them there. It doesn't mention anything about eating the bird. If that was the case, then every bird taken to the taxidermist would be considered wanton waste. Am I advocating shooting birds, taking a picture on a yeti cooler, and them throwing in the ditch, not at all. However, do I think someone who shoots some birds to keep in the freezer for working dogs, or a guy shoots and kills a couple of hooded mergansers and freezes them to give to his flyfishing buddy is any less respectable of a hunter than you because he didn't eat them, heck no. Snow Geese are destroying the Tundra. I know some guys that kill hundreds during the conservation season that all get ground up to go in some kind of feed as protein. They don't eat any of them, but that doesn't mean the birds are being wasted, because they don't put them all on the grill. They are doing there part to attempt to control the population, while having some fun at them same time. They may make you sick, but they don't bother me at all.
hydrilla
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:22 am

hydrilla wrote:Technically, if you read 50 CFR 20 from the Fish and Wildlife Service release regarding migratory bird hunting, 20.25 describes Wanton Waste and says nothing about eating any migratory birds. It simply states that reasonable effort must be made to recover killed or wounded birds, meaning you can't shoot them and leave them there. It doesn't mention anything about eating the bird. If that was the case, then every bird taken to the taxidermist would be considered wanton waste. Am I advocating shooting birds, taking a picture on a yeti cooler, and them throwing in the ditch, not at all. However, do I think someone who shoots some birds to keep in the freezer for working dogs, or a guy shoots and kills a couple of hooded mergansers and freezes them to give to his flyfishing buddy is any less respectable of a hunter than you because he didn't eat them, heck no. Snow Geese are destroying the Tundra. I know some guys that kill hundreds during the conservation season that all get ground up to go in some kind of feed as protein. They don't eat any of them, but that doesn't mean the birds are being wasted, because they don't put them all on the grill. They are doing there part to attempt to control the population, while having some fun at them same time. They may make you sick, but they don't bother me at all.

All excellent points.... :thumbsup:
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:55 am

I've eaton 100's of buffleheads. Don't blame the bird, blame the cook.

ibedamn
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:38 am

ibedamn wrote:I've eaton 100's of buffleheads. Don't blame the bird, blame the cook.

How'd the cat like that? :biggrin:
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:47 am

Don't have a cat.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:37 am

Everyone on this forum hunts for sport. We don't hunt for food.

We all know that wild duck is some VERY expensive meat, and you'd be better off not hunting and using the money saved to buy ribeyes and lobster. We hunt because we like hunting.

That said, most of us eat at least some of what we shoot. There are some of us who cannot eat all the waterfowl we shoot. I shoot between 225 and 250 birds a season and can't store/cook/eat duck/goose 5 days a week all year long.
I breast them out, marinate and bag the breasts, then donate the majority of those breasts to the local homeless shelter. They are very grateful for the meat, and it certainly doesn't go to waste.

Yes, I hunt just for sport. And my birds are all eaten.
mudpack
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:18 am

How many of you recycle your guts and feathers? I give mine back to the local eco system.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby kcwellington » Fri May 02, 2014 9:57 am

mudpack wrote:Everyone on this forum hunts for sport. We don't hunt for food.

We all know that wild duck is some VERY expensive meat, and you'd be better off not hunting and using the money saved to buy ribeyes and lobster. We hunt because we like hunting.

That said, most of us eat at least some of what we shoot. There are some of us who cannot eat all the waterfowl we shoot. I shoot between 225 and 250 birds a season and can't store/cook/eat duck/goose 5 days a week all year long.
I breast them out, marinate and bag the breasts, then donate the majority of those breasts to the local homeless shelter. They are very grateful for the meat, and it certainly doesn't go to waste.

Yes, I hunt just for sport. And my birds are all eaten.

Wild duck is THE MOST expensive meat!! 2nd to Whitetail deer. Mudpack, I've never met you and probably never will but I can tell by some of your posts that we would get along just fine. EVERYBODY HERE HUNTS FOR SPORT!! Do I eat everything I kill? No. But somebody does. If you throw ducks out on the side of the road because you dont want to mess with 'em. You are the poster child for the anti-hunting community. But just because you give away what you kill for somebody else to eat. NO PROBLEM! Hell, I think if you dont give some of it away, you're thinking only of yourself and not your neighbor. A gift is not a true gift if you didnt sacrifice in order to give it! Those are the words from my Grandaddy and those are the words I "try" to live by. (take it for what it's worth). EAT WHAT YOU CAN AND GIVE THE REST AWAY FOR SOMEONE ELSE TO ENJOY! I know alot of people that dont hunt but love to eat duck. What's wrong with me giving some of my ducks to them?
kcwellington
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri May 02, 2014 11:25 am

kcwellington wrote: What's wrong with me giving some of my ducks to them?

You show up to someones house and offer them a tuna that you caught, striped bass or a bucket of clams and you are a rock star....somehow giving away ducks is wasteful? Come on....
You're doing nothing wrong......
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting