Hunting just for sport?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Re: Hunting just for sport?

Postby Tryingtaxi » Fri May 02, 2014 2:48 pm

I eat everything I kill here there are no mergansers where I hunt I get teal and mottleds. They are very tasty I roll them I'm flour and season then fry it was delicious but be careful not to overcook. I also pan sear my teal breasts or fry . I try to eat duck at least once every 2 or 3 weeks. I love it my favorite game I even put it over deer. I just wished I could have more meat I am running out :no: .
I also know a guy that gets some of our duck meat and grinds it all and puts in some pheasant . He calls it ph*ck it's quite the treat.
I would be delighted if someone showed up at my door to give me some duck.
Just try different recipes. This upcoming season I am saving livers,heart and breast.
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby On the X » Fri May 02, 2014 9:12 pm

We shoot a lot of ducks and doves, a few geese and love to eat all three. a good crow shooting is damn fun too, but I'm not eating them. I hate feral cats and have been known to shoot them when I can. I wonder if the coyote hunters are fond of eating wild dog?
On the X
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Sat May 03, 2014 1:59 am

I don't see a problem with buffleheads.

Sent from my Tim Grounds Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Postby KRB » Sun May 04, 2014 6:31 am

xtrema13 wrote:I don't see a problem with buffleheads.

Sent from my Tim Grounds Super Mag

X2
KRB
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun May 04, 2014 7:55 am

We very rarely see buffleheads down here, but after reading debate over them on these boards, I swapped a fellow a mallard for a lost one he'd shot and gave it the same pan test with a greenwing teal. The buffy fillets were appreciably darker and I even thought I could smell a hint of difference between they and the teals, so I expected a flavor difference. Sauteed both birds' breasts in butter, side by side in the same pan with nothing but a dash of Lawry's seasoning, and ate them while still pink in the middle. And there was a bit of flavor difference, but certainly not enough they couldn't be passed for teal prepared that way, much less any of a number of others combining more flavors.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Sun May 04, 2014 8:20 am

You are what you eat. That is particularly true with waterfowl. Buffleheads taken after a few days in a fresh water lake will taste very different than bufflehead taken after a few days on a salt marsh.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby wigeonator887 » Mon May 05, 2014 10:28 pm

While I do agree that if you are going to kill it, you damn well should eat it, I would put money down that all of you are hunting purely for sport. There are very few people in the 21st century that hunt for food. You guys may get food while you are hunting, but you are not out there killing ducks because you need food for the table. If that was the case, you would not eat any meat from the supermarket, and your diet would solely consist of wild game you killed. You guys all hunt because you enjoy duck hunting, not for food, even if you do in fact eat the game you kill.
Fresh white Reebok's kickin your ***
wigeonator887
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue May 06, 2014 4:45 am

Horse feathers.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Mon May 19, 2014 2:18 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:You are what you eat. That is particularly true with waterfowl. Buffleheads taken after a few days in a fresh water lake will taste very different than bufflehead taken after a few days on a salt marsh.

Frank

I have never eaten a bufflehead killed over fresh water. I would assume it would be as good as the salted version. A good marinade and medium rare, I'll never turn either down.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby marsh water » Mon May 26, 2014 7:08 am

Boy this is one of the subjects that the more you stir the water, the muddier it gets. I have heard guys like Ted Nugent say they havent eaten anything they didnt kill for 10 yrs. Well I have. I still like a good steak. But I still hold strongly that if you are going to take somethings life that is edible, then eat it. I have a little ritual I use when I kill deer, hogs or whatever. I have mixed emotions about taking somethings life that is so beautiful. I love ducks like nothing else. I have had pet ducks like a little french caller that the old timers used for decoys. She just wouldnt shut up. I finally had to turn her loose. I would go by the lake and hear her everytime. I have never shot a coot, merganzer or any other duck that I dont think is edible. I dont go shoot coyotes just to be shooting them. If they are a problem to cattle or sheep ranchers, chickens etc. or if they are robbing too many duck nests. Thats different. Still I dont do it for the enjoyment of killing just to be killing. The old adage ''if it flies it dies'' is not for me. I used to be different, but I found out how precious my life is when I was in a bad wreck twice, and they find their lives just as precious as me. I have watched coyotes hunting and find it way entertaining. they are good x2. Hogs tearing up land should be controlled, but eaten. I have seen some big hogs thrown in a ditch in town. antis love this stuff. If a duck has oil or artificial grass or anything unclean in it, dont eat it. That would be stupid. We as hunters have a responsibility not only to the game we hunt, but to be good stewards for the non hunters to see that we love the sport we do. I am from NC. At one place there were guides that would let guys shoot way over the limit of canvasbacks and redheads and sink them in a feed sack with a concrete block. He needs to be sunk himself. My son in law and I went to ark. for a snow hunt this last Feb. We got 120 snows and blues in a morning between the two of us. After every flight guys would shout how many did we get. count them. We cleaned every last goose(took two hrs in a 30 mph wind at 35 degrees.) Still left a bad taste in my mouth for no. to mean more than enjoyment. All that to say this, we were given all animals to eat and enjoy. Then enjoy eating them.
marsh water
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon May 26, 2014 9:16 am

What's the message when mergansers are included in the bag limit but then in the actual license pamphlet it strongly advises to NOT eat them due to contamination?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon May 26, 2014 10:40 am

Um, the message to me is not to shoot them. I can tell a fish duck from all the rest.......
blackrock
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon May 26, 2014 3:14 pm

blackrock wrote:Um, the message to me is not to shoot them. I can tell a fish duck from all the rest.......

Is that what that was? A merganser? Jeees.....I thought it was a black duck....! Wow...thanks :no: :no:
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon May 26, 2014 6:48 pm

And by the way.....look at the guys on this site who are shooting thousands and thousands of carp etc and there is no secret whatsoever about burying them in a ditch etc....
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby jsa » Tue May 27, 2014 2:12 pm

Those who shoot animals for sport and not for sustenance should be carrying cameras not guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jsa
State Moderator

Postby ibedamn » Tue May 27, 2014 2:42 pm

Slack Tide wrote:And by the way.....look at the guys on this site who are shooting thousands and thousands of carp etc and there is no secret whatsoever about burying them in a ditch etc....

I didn't know people shot carp? :huh: But, YouTube enlightened me. :smile:

I'm proud to be a hunter and grateful to have the right. We peasants did not alway have that. So I eat what I shoot and love to discuss that with the anti's. They just can't come up with a good answer for this statement. I choose to harvest my own organic food, you choose to have someone else do your killing for you. My meat comes wrapped in fur or feather and is fresh, and yours is wrapped in plastic and you have no idea who handled it.

My point is I'm not going to change anybody's mind on this. But I wish if you ain't going to eat it, hide whatever you do with it from the anti's. I want to keep the hunting tradition alive for many generations to come.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Tue May 27, 2014 6:23 pm

jsa wrote:Those who shoot animals for sport and not for sustenance should be carrying cameras not guns.

Anyone in twenty first century America that needs to shoot animals for sustenance has a far greater problem than understanding about sport hunting. Should we be eating or making some use of the game we shoot? With some exceptions, yes, unquestionably. But hunting for sustenance on its own is pure folly. First off, the limits are far too low to be of any value. Secondly, even with full daily limits, the federal possession limit for waterfowl (except light geese) is three times the daily limit. That means that you can have no more than 18 or 21 ducks, depending on your flyway, in your freezer ant any one time. And finally, if you could have more than the allowable possession limit, the cost of keeping them frozen needs to be factored in to the equation. That equation includes things like license costs, ammunition costs, equipment costs, transportation and lodging where applicable. In short, it's a lot less expensive to visit your local market.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby captainduckhead » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:12 pm

This is a good debate. I'm glad to see people arguing amicably. My opinion was handed down by my father and grandfather. Nothing should be killed for the sake of killing (except maybe snakes). I shoot Sawbills, and I eat them. I live in NY and I suppose they warn against it, but I've always eaten it. I'll eat any duck or goose I kill. I see a few of you guys picking on coyote hunters, No one I know would eat a stink dog. or a fox or a bobcat for that matter. I've been a fur trapper my whole life and I can assure you that any stink dog or other furbearer that I take gets skinned and processed and sold. I try to waste nothing, I give away ducks of course. There's a couple old guys that can't hunt anymore and I usually give them a couple birds each season.
Crows are a tough call though. I hate those things, they raid duck nests around here like crazy. I should be ashamed to say it, but I've killed crows and never eaten one of them. "F-'em all and watch 'em fall" That's probably a bad thing to do, I won't try to justify it here except that I have a deep dislike for them. I do let the dogs retrieve them though.
As far as contaminated birds, you can't eat them, plain and simple. You don't know when you pull the trigger that a bird is contaminated, but I've killed a couple Canadas over the years that were infected with something. They smelled horrible and one was even gangrene infected. It got tossed, the seagulls ate it I'm sure.
The point is, no one should go out and kill anything with the intention of wasting it. Try to be good stewards of the land and animals. If you don't like the way ducks taste, either find a way to cook them that you like, or stop killing them.
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Hunting just for sport?

Postby Nelliboy2 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:08 pm

I've heard of guys donating birds to food banks/homeless shelters. Might be a possibility if you don't like eating them

Feet down, guns up, that's the way I light'em up!
The only thing worse than being blind is having sight with no vision- Helen Keller
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby southern_mallards » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:55 pm

"And The Lord spoke to him. Rise, Peter kill and EAT"
southern_mallards
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:22 pm

There are simple recipes that make any of the popular ducks or geese taste like fine roast beef.
Non of the really gamey (Flying Liver) taste to get thru at all.

No need to waste any of it.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:17 am

The state and federal wildlife LEO's I've talked to tell me that the possession limit ends at the door to your legal residence. While this may not be specifically stated in the regulations, that's the way they enforce it.
This means you can have an undetermined number of legally-harvested birds in your home freezer. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:52 am

mudpack wrote:The state and federal wildlife LEO's I've talked to tell me that the possession limit ends at the door to your legal residence. While this may not be specifically stated in the regulations, that's the way they enforce it.
This means you can have an undetermined number of legally-harvested birds in your home freezer. :thumbsup:

When the Flyway Councils proposed making that the case last year, Federal enforcement stonewalled it. The federal possession limit was increased to three days on the Councils' recommendation, but that was the only change. While it's unlikely LEOs would choose to check your freezer and enforce the possession limit law without other reason to do so, they could.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:24 am

Rick Hall wrote:
mudpack wrote:The state and federal wildlife LEO's I've talked to tell me that the possession limit ends at the door to your legal residence. While this may not be specifically stated in the regulations, that's the way they enforce it.

When the Flyway Councils proposed making that the case last year, Federal enforcement stonewalled it. The federal possession limit was increased to three days on the Councils' recommendation, but that was the only change. While it's unlikely LEOs would choose to check your freezer and enforce the possession limit law without other reason to do so, they could.

I know of an instance where a chicken chit foreman at a local plant was bragging to his buddy while taking a leak about how many geese he had in his freezer. Just so happens one of the guys this foreman always gave a hard time was taking a sit down and overheard the conversation. Two days later the foreman gets home, pulls up in the drive way and three game wardens and 2 cops were waiting for him with a search warrant. They searched his freezer and found he was several geese over the possession limit It ended up costing the foreman a thousand bucks and he couldn't hunt for 3 years. That was about 20 years ago.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby mudpack » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:16 pm

Rick Hall wrote: While it's unlikely LEOs would choose to check your freezer and enforce the possession limit law without other reason to do so, they could.

Yes, that is indeed true. If they make a case based on other, higher-profile violations and can add one more such as an over-possession, they certainly will pile as many on as they possibly can. I say good on them.
mudpack
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting