Most important variable for duck hunting

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

Most important variable for duck hunting

Postby MichaelT » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:08 pm

What would you consider the most important variable for having a good hunt? I have a job that I don't have to be at till 10:30 am so I get the opportunity to hunt just about any morning I feel like. I have been on calm warm bluebird days, cold sideways blowing rain, sleet, snow, fog etc. Which of these would you consider to be most important to having a good hunt. Tomorrow we are hunting and the forecast is calling for 25 degrees, sunny, with a 20mph wind with gusts up to 30. What say ye?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MichaelT
hunter

Re: Most important variable for duck hunting

Postby Smith » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:46 pm

Wind. Wind is the single most important factor for me. In the marsh, I like it strong and from the right direction. On open water, I like it breezy, but not too strong, and again, from the right direction.
Smith
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:14 pm

location and those other things become miniscule. However, I too agree with wind being a major factor of my hunting before most other things.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Sclf » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:26 pm

Depends on where you hunt. Flooded timber likes to see sunny breezy days while my marsh I seem to do better when it's a little hazy and drizzling. I don't find hard rain is any good anywhere. Most important factor in my opinion is being where the ducks wanna be. I know thats elementary but it's so true. In order to find that, find the food! As far as wind, I like a good stuff wind, 15-20. I find more than anything it helps to work them close and you know what they are gonna do. You know when they are cupped heading into the wind they are committed. wind causes more ducks to fly and keeps them from rafting on big water, and it sure makes it easier to get them on the water.
Sclf
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:43 pm

sun=good
wind=good
sun and wind=great
Rhock19
hunter

Postby MichaelT » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:07 pm

Well I hunted this morning at a pothole that I haven't yet hunted. I have hunted close to it and have seen ducks land in there every time. Didn't see a single duck today though despite the conditions. I did manage to drop a honker cruising by though. Guess I just wasn't where they wanted to be today

MichaelT
hunter

Postby beastmode » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:13 pm

Having birds in the area

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
beastmode
hunter

Postby AutoFiveFanatic » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:07 am

Location being key. imho..being where the birds want to be. Unfortunately that breaks down into many other factors. Weather being right...which also breaks down into wind direction...sun or overcast...water levels...temp...and a host of other anomalies . I'm a novice hunter but the single most important variable I've found is to scout and see where the birds want to go. I have a limited area to hunt in and when conditions aren't favorable for hunting I'll still get out there and see what the birds are doing even if it means just driving around in the the truck and scouting. For example this weekend I know I don't have a snowballs chance in hell at hunting any water I normally do since it's been so cold however I'll get out in the morning and head to the hunting ground and cruise around just to check out the activity. Heck i just like being out there...may not see anything but I do love getting out there.
AutoFiveFanatic
hunter

Postby cwsmith » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:16 pm

Though there are many important factors that all line up to produce a good duck hunt, these are the 3 most important in my opinion:

1. Understanding of Duck Biology and Behavior. If you know your ducks and their habits, and how they change given the weather conditions, time of year, abundance of feed, etc. then you will know how to plan more successful, adaptable hunts. This is the most important thing there is. A lot of this is book knowledge, but you can never replace days in the field hunting and scouting... bringing me to my next..

2. Scouting and Location. Know what your target birds and doing inside and out. Know their roost, their feeding areas, their loafing areas, when they fly off, when they come back, and when they change plans. Scouting is not just for before the season, it is a constant priority. In Oregon we get a large population of wintering cackling geese that will hammer the same field for several days numbering in the tens of thousands, obliterate the crop being grown in there, and move on to the next field. If you are on the field the birds want to be in at that point in time you can have the hunt of your life - but if you are on the field that you want to be in you'll painfully watch birds elsewhere all day. My point is this - birds change plans often and going to a place that you saw birds in a couple weeks before simply won't do it a lot of the time.

3. Weather. Knowing what the weather is like in your area as well as the areas around you will help you anticipate migrations and predict local bird movements and activity. A sunny, bluebird day is not always a bad thing if you know how the birds change on days like this. It is when you need to be adaptable.
13-14 Season

40 mallards
14 GWT
13 pin
10 spoony
10 buff
9 wigeon
8 rgnk
6 woodie
6 gad
5 barrow's ge
3 merg
3 ruddy
2 l scaup
1 g scaup
1 comm ge
1 can
TOTAL DUCKS = 132

77 canada
4 snow
2 speck
TOTAL GEESE = 83

TOTAL WATERFOWL = 215
cwsmith
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:39 pm

Since we hunt saltwater marsh on the Texas coast weather can be the difference between a awesome hunt or a skunk. We are were there ducks want to be, however when you have anywhere from a 1000 to 5000 birds sitting in one raft on a bright blue sunny day you WONT decoy anything except for the occasional redhead. Now on a rainy, cold, super windy day it's amazing! Birds will dump into the decoys and we tend to see more species on those days as we'll.

Sent from my busted iPhone
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:06 pm

beastmode wrote:Having birds in the area

This. I couldn't care less what the weather conditions are if there's not many birds. Or if the birds that are there have been hanging around awhile, and know what's going on.
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
River Ramblin' Man
hunter

Postby callinfowl » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:52 am

beastmode wrote:Having birds in the area

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

This !!!!!!!
Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Postby jstewart_1981 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:10 am

Hands down, it has to be a beard. I cant grow one so Im using this as my excuse lately.
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:31 am

MichaelT wrote:What would you consider the most important variable for having a good hunt? I have a job that I don't have to be at till 10:30 am so I get the opportunity to hunt just about any morning I feel like. I have been on calm warm bluebird days, cold sideways blowing rain, sleet, snow, fog etc. Which of these would you consider to be most important to having a good hunt. Tomorrow we are hunting and the forecast is calling for 25 degrees, sunny, with a 20mph wind with gusts up to 30. What say ye?

Not to sound like a smartazz but the most important ingredient to having a good hunt is hunting where there is birds!

I will take a dead calm bright sunny day and hunt where the birds have been actively feeding and or sitting and have a better chance at having a good hunt than hunting a spot with no birds on a cloudy day with 10 mph wind.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Sclf » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:38 am

jstewart_1981 wrote:Hands down, it has to be a beard. I cant grow one so Im using this as my excuse lately.

...and face paint!
Sclf
hunter

Postby JFord56 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:35 pm

1. Wind
2. Having favorable weather patterns that has moved ducks in your area
3. Be on the X where the ducks want to be
4. Be hidden - brush your blind, facemask/face paint, be still
5. Never hunt the coast or thick marsh without a dog
:beer:
JFord56
hunter

Postby blackrock » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:46 pm

image.jpg
Ducks. This is where we hunt!
blackrock
hunter

Postby noweil » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:03 pm

Top 3
1) Location
2) Location
3) Location
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:48 pm

There is no such "most important variable".
So many...
Mess up one and you may not be shooting today...ie: forgot gun in truck
Trying to get a system where you can say, screw hunting today...it's the wrong kind of cloud day is a fool's errand.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby :-) » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:02 pm

If you have a 10+ mph wind "20+ is better", a protected cove/shoreline, food, and obviously birds you will have an awesome hunt.

:-)
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting