Busting ice, again

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Busting ice, again

Postby jstewart_1981 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:29 pm

I know this has been talked about many times. Maybe this is a dumb solution but if the ice is thick would it be possible to cut a hole with chainsaw and pump fresh water on top of ice? Like a 3-4" pump that move lot of water. It's a Lot Of work I know but going a long ways to hunt and sounds like AR gonna be froze tight next week. Thoughts?
jstewart_1981
hunter

Re: Busting ice, again

Postby Huntfish12 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:43 am

jstewart_1981 wrote:I know this has been talked about many times. Maybe this is a dumb solution but if the ice is thick would it be possible to cut a hole with chainsaw and pump fresh water on top of ice? Like a 3-4" pump that move lot of water. It's a Lot Of work I know but going a long ways to hunt and sounds like AR gonna be froze tight next week. Thoughts?

Yea a chainsaw will do the trick, but a 3-4" pump is a little overkill i think. A 1 or 2" will be fine and still move alot of water, be smaller and lighter and not use as much fuel.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby jstewart_1981 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:24 pm

The use is gonna be free ill just be paying for fuel. The one I get may be a 2" just depends which ones availabale.
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby TrapperRob » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:22 pm

If the ice is thick enough to need a chain saw. Why not just use shells or full bodies on top of the ice? I would think as long as it is thick enough for you and the dog to walk on you should be fine.
I went into the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-Henry David Thoreau
TrapperRob
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:48 pm

TrapperRob wrote:If the ice is thick enough to need a chain saw. Why not just use shells or full bodies on top of the ice? I would think as long as it is thick enough for you and the dog to walk on you should be fine.

this is another good option!
:thumbsup:
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby jstewart_1981 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:08 am

Hey that is another good option. Only thing is I dont have any full bodies or shells. Around here all we ever use is floaters it never freezes. I guess Im not 100% equipped for cold weather hunting. We gonna maker work though.
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:14 pm

jstewart_1981 wrote:Hey that is another good option. Only thing is I dont have any full bodies or shells. Around here all we ever use is floaters it never freezes. I guess Im not 100% equipped for cold weather hunting. We gonna maker work though.

Cut yourself a strong oak tree....wrap chain around it.....throw it in your hole.....hook chain to truck that morning and yank it out.....Enjoy your hole
sooner737
hunter

Postby cwsmith » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:00 pm

I feel your pain. I've been busting ice all winter here in Oregon, even in parts that normally stay open. I had a #1 pick on a res hunt area today that normally produces limits of greenheads in January. Ice kept all ducks on the refuge all day... :no:

As far as ice tips I think the chainsaw and pump are a fine idea if there is really thick ice. Keep in mind that ducks will hold up on the last standing water to freeze and these will be the first places to start thawing out and they will get back in there. While it is frozen up hit the local rivers and big water as they will go there for a few days.... any more than a few days frozen and they will move south to find a better feed situation. Hoping your freeze up brings better results than ours! :hammer:
13-14 Season

40 mallards
14 GWT
13 pin
10 spoony
10 buff
9 wigeon
8 rgnk
6 woodie
6 gad
5 barrow's ge
3 merg
3 ruddy
2 l scaup
1 g scaup
1 comm ge
1 can
TOTAL DUCKS = 132

77 canada
4 snow
2 speck
TOTAL GEESE = 83

TOTAL WATERFOWL = 215
cwsmith
hunter

Postby jstewart_1981 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:08 am

We will see. Heading out tomorrow and going to see how it goes. Ill post an update on how the pump/chain saw combo goes if we even have to resort to this. Gonna be 500 miles from home, Im gonna have it if I need it.

Happy hunting :beer:
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:14 pm

I guess it didn't work too well?

I have used a chainsaw before, but once a hole is cut, I see no need to pump water on top of the ice...it won't look like an open hole to the ducks, it will just look like ice. Open holes in ice look black, water on top of ice look like ice.
mudpack
hunter

Postby jstewart_1981 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:53 am

mudpack wrote:I guess it didn't work too well?

I have used a chainsaw before, but once a hole is cut, I see no need to pump water on top of the ice...it won't look like an open hole to the ducks, it will just look like ice. Open holes in ice look black, water on top of ice look like ice.

Not when the ice melts from flowing water. It looks like water. Didnt have to resort to anything crazy. Made a big hole and slid the broken ice under the solid ice. Shot bluebills, hoodies, ruddies, teal, widgeon and several canvasbacks.
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:11 am

jstewart_1981 wrote:
mudpack wrote: Open holes in ice look black, water on top of ice look like ice.

Not when the ice melts from flowing water. It looks like water.

If it's cold enough and your ice is thick enough to have to cut it with a chainsaw, pumping water on top of it will not melt it all the way through. The water will just freeze into more ice before it ever has the opportunity to melt anything....unless the daytime temps are in the 80's and nighttime temps are in the 40's, and will be for a week or more. :thumbsup:
Glad you didn't have to resort to trying it, though. Saved yourself a lot of frustration, methinks.
mudpack
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting