south platte ducks

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

south platte ducks

Postby amphibian » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:50 pm

For those of you hunting the south platte in colorado, what happened to all the ducks? I hunted up and down more than 3 miles of the platte both north and south of sterling this week, and only saw a handful of ducks. usually they are in the hundreds for that much effort this time of year. Anyone know if the reservoirs have open water again??
amphibian
Newb

Re: south platte ducks

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:11 pm

ask in your state forum where you might have some more people who are more local to the area and know.

But my guess would be now that the migration is winding on/ down the ducks have moved south already. This last colder than usual front has really pushed them out.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby hockymvp » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:15 am

It was the floods man. All the old spots were washed out.
hockymvp
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:21 am

If you ever get up towards Peetz, and in between Prewit and Elliot SWA's, ducks hold pretty well throughout the season in there. Man I miss Colorado :crying:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:00 pm

amphibian wrote:For those of you hunting the south platte in colorado, what happened to all the ducks? I hunted up and down more than 3 miles of the platte both north and south of sterling this week, and only saw a handful of ducks.

There were four other parties that beat you to that stretch of river the day before. We all limited out..... :biggrin:
mudpack
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting