wide river duck hunting

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

wide river duck hunting

Postby Cashman » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:52 pm

I thinking about hunting on a very wide river, with a bit of current. There are a few islands (sandbars) going all of the way across the river. So my problem is, if I shoot a duck when I'm on an island, and it lands in the river, it will float fairly fast downstream. Does anybody know if there is a way to stop the duck from floating past the islands so I can pick it up?
Cashman
hunter

Postby big_countryks » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:24 pm

Get a dog!! :laughing:
Or you can do what I do and just chase after it as fast as your waders will let you...
"When the Buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom..." (Sitting Bull)
"Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15." (Ronald W. Reagan)
big_countryks
hunter

Postby Cashman » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:24 pm

But my fear of a dog is that if he would swim out into the deeper water, the water with more current, he could drown.
Cashman
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:44 pm

id say set up on edge....then make them swing around ur dekes over u and plug them then and there or shortly out infront of u.
duckbuster
hunter

Postby big_countryks » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:01 pm

I can understand that fear. I got my dog a neoprene vest from Hodgman, it has pockets on each side with inflation devices in them to help her swim if needed. Of course, here in flat old Kansas, rivers don't run too deep or too fast.
"When the Buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom..." (Sitting Bull)
"Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15." (Ronald W. Reagan)
big_countryks
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:22 pm

fishing pole....

i wouldn't worry too much about the dog unless you are dealing with a real fast current and limited entry/exit points.

the real concern for me in big water is crippled ducks. my dog will chase that damn thing downriver until he ends up crossing the bar and heading out to sea.

get a good vest for the dog and don't send him after anything that is still swimming.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:36 pm

Cashman wrote:But my fear of a dog is that if he would swim out into the deeper water, the water with more current, he could drown.

i thought you were kidding when i read this the first time. are you really concerned about this? what kind of dog do you have?
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby Cashman » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:06 pm

I have 2 labs, but the river is extreamly rough with current, I sometimes see huge trees floating down it, then will just all of a suddenly sink into the water.
Cashman
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:33 pm

i understand why you would be concerned. i have never heard of a current the would suck things under like that, especially with the resistence of swimming. i know beaches can do it but i don't even think they suck things under as much as pull them out to sea.

my next question: do you have control over your dogs while they are retrieving? in other words, can you stop them in the middle of a retrieve and call them back? this is actually pretty tough. if they do listen that well, then you should be able to send them to get the "safe" ducks and use a good motor boat (i don't think a trolling motor would cut it if the current is as strong as you say) to get the others.

the only way to prevent a duck from drifting with the current is to block it somehow. you would probably do more harm than good trying to come up with some contraption to stop them. you could always set up on the side of the island the water pools around (usually the back side down stream). depending on the the size of the island, this could be a good resting spot for the ducks and a natural place for them to come into anyway. it should provide enough relief from the current to allow the dog to retrieve it in time. i would figure out the boundaries of this kind of pool so you know exactly what distance to shoot within. (this may have been mentioned in a previous post in this thread.)

anyway, there isn't a duck in the world that is worth jeopardizing your, nor the dogs', safety over. just keep that in mind.
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby Cashman » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:53 pm

I can controll them good untill they go for the duck. Once they do that, they will swim untill they get the duck. I'll work on that more.
Cashman
hunter

Postby 10 ga. » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:05 am

Use a tender boat or hunt out of an anchored boat and have it ready in case the dogs get in trouble.
10 ga.
DHC Sponsor

Postby frazier2209 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:23 pm

In times like this, a fishing pole with a large crankabit has always worked for me! SERIOUSLY
frazier2209
hunter

Postby Cashman » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:25 pm

I never would of have thought of that frazier2209! Think I'll try that.
Cashman
hunter

Postby SwampHunter » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:37 am

If your worried about the dogs then get a boat made for that type of water. :thumbsup:
SwampHunter
Membership permanently suspended

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting