ANYONE FALL IN DEEP WATER WITH WADERS?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Re: ANYONE FALL IN DEEP WATER WITH WADERS?

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:35 am

With regard to going over:
I like the idea of thin layers that have been offered with many new companies. By the time you put on your Under Armor, then a insulating layer, then some poly, then a shell......you are super warm with very little. The says of giant coats and sweaters are over. If you end up in the drink....you at least won't saturate to a level of sinking.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby brian tierno » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:29 am

I scuba dive and neoprene is buoyant . but so is the human body . I have to wear approx. 23lbs of weights when I dive ,i'm 230 +-,a little....lol and the 5mm wetsuit, gloves ,hood and boots I add about 5-7 lbs. more weight. Its like wearing a tool box around my waist. I fell in face first stepping off marsh in gsb about 20 yrs. ago when the edge of the marsh collapsed wearing rubber chests, as they filled with warm caribbean sea water "I think I actually walked on water "as I made a hastey retreat , I remember the heavy labored walk out of the water , I always measure twice and look once before stepping ever since .
brian tierno
hunter

Postby teal12 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:51 am

I've never had an encounter where I've been totally under water but I keep a really sharp knife in the pocket on my waders and if I have to I will cut them down the side so I can get out. Just my thought on preventing drowning.
teal12
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:11 pm

teal12 wrote:I've never had an encounter where I've been totally under water but I keep a really sharp knife in the pocket on my waders and if I have to I will cut them down the side so I can get out. Just my thought on preventing drowning.

No need, the neoprene will float you up, trust me, I know.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby Cold » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:22 am

As far as the whole discussion about what waders do once you do go in, on forums like this (I spend more time on fishing sites, but it's the same debate everywhere), the answer isn't quite so simple as "yes, waders drag you down" or "no, waders don't" (and in the case of neoprenes, we might also add "no, in fact they float you").

It's important to remember that when we're talking about how you maneuver on land, we're talking about weight, but once we're in the drink, we're no longer talking about weight, but rather density, more accurately, density compared to water. I guess to be strictly, technically accurate, we're also talking density on land too, but air has a density so low that for our discussion, it's practically negligible.

Anyway, this matters because in a 'falling in' situation, both scenarios are at work. Part of you is in the water, and part of you is in the air, and you're desperately trying to get more of you in the air than in the water.

At this point, your waders are filling with water. This means that this water is effectively becoming part of your body, along with your clothes (which are likely soaking up water) and your waders (which aren't, and if they're neoprene, actually have air trapped within the material). This changes how 'your body' (that is, your body including clothes, waders, and recently borrowed water) will behave in the two environments. For the part of you in the water, there isn't going to be much difference from swimming normally, since the water added is exactly the same density as the water outside the waders. It's going to make it a little more tiring to swim, but only slightly so. It's once you start to get back out of the water that things get much tougher, as the water in your waders gets picked up above the water level of whatever you fell into, and suddenly, all that extra weight is up in the air, pulling you down.

With waders full of water it's actually way, way easier to swim to shore than to walk around on dry land, as the water can add a surprising amount of "body weight", but only when it's out of the body of water. The water that your clothes soak up only add to this as well. To sum it up: waders full of water will tend to keep you at the surface of the water. If you sink, it'll be barely more difficult to get back to the surface in waders than it would be if you were swimming in shorts, but when you try to improve your situation and get out of the wader, the full waders will turn into a heavy anchor keeping you in (but not under) the drink.

It's also worth keeping in mind that none of this accounts for the shock of cold water, and these effects are just as applicable in August as in January. This cold is something that's difficult to prepare for, and while I've never gone in completely (swimming) in sub-freezing conditions, even getting waders filled to the knee in those conditions will take your breath away. If this happens, consider your hunt over. Even if you're okay, you absolutely need to get dried off and warmed up. If you're a long way from your vehicle, pack up and move out immediately, as you don't want to wait out there until adrenaline wears off and hypothermia has sapped your strength, energy, and mental sharpness. The process begins as soon as you feel that shock of the cold water, and it doesn't stop until you're dry and warm.
Cold
hunter

Postby surfrat » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:05 pm

I would imagine not a lot of yes answers seeing how most of them are likely dead. :sad:
surfrat
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:28 am

surfrat wrote:I would imagine not a lot of yes answers seeing how most of them are likely dead. :sad:

wrong.. plain and simple.. had to swim in waters more than once.. worst one was when i went through ice in water that was supposed to be about 2 feet and ended up more like 8. neoprene floats. if you wear a waterproof jacket over youyr waiders, it will suck to you and keep you suprisingly dry. (not competely as water will come in the neck, but your waders will not fill).
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby smhclason » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:32 pm

Fell over the side of a boat trying to force up an anchor in about 10 degrees. Completely under :help: . I was wearing the Cabelas ultimate waders, the ones with the velcro suspenders and no wader belt with a carhartt tucked in. If I hadnt freaked out and grabbed onto the side rail of the boat i was gone. I did not feel any floatation whatsoever and they were filled up. They had to paddle the boat to shore so I could get a footing. They also had propane heaters :thumbsup: . I have fallen other times in those waders but in more "manageable" situations and had the same affect. I think those waders are awesome but it you are over water where you cant get your head up id suggest a lifejacket. The good thing about cold water is that while it does take your breath away, you kick into a different mode when you feel the shock and you know what the hell is goin on.
Hickenlooper sucks!
smhclason
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:09 pm

uploadfromtaptalk1411178936733.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1411178936733.jpg (20.66 KiB) Viewed 355 times
neoprene make betty float
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Spunky » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:28 am

I never wear my waders while in the boat anymore. Had a bad experience once. I ALWAYS wear a life presever and wear a cheap pair of hip boots that I change out of when I get to my spot.
Spunky
hunter

Postby burdickz » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:47 am

I also will never wear waders in a boat again; and always have a LSV while in a boat and sometimes with my waders on if I am fly fishing in early spring... Filled my waders before and had to swim out of them to get free... Not something I recommend and if it does happen, try to stay calm and think common sense and safety.
If it flies it dies, if it hops it drops...
A bad day hunting beats a good at school...
burdickz
hunter

Postby TaylorMann1 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:52 am

Hypothermia is the issue not the waders.
TaylorMann1
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:25 pm

It's pretty clear that neoprene will float amd float with it anything attached. I think most of the "dragging down" feeling comes from your feet being more bouyant than your upper body which is compounded by the fact that out jackets and tops are laden with steel and other items. I wear my jacket over my waders... been in with both neo and rubber hip boots. My advuce is just stay calm and float with what is floating... and get out fast. Better advice... gear up in july and jump in. Have someone toss a rope on for you so you dont drift away in 500 lbs of neoprene induced bouyancy. Calm, and a stiff back will keep your head up but a life vest will do better. With waders... your feet float but your top sinks.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby Maineduckhunter » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:13 pm

Couple of years back, I was hunting a tidal marsh in my Canoe. You have main channels of water, that run all through the marsh, with little fishers/ cracks that form along the sides of any solid ground.
I set out my decoys, slipped the canoe into one of these fishers (low tide), climbed out onto terra firma, and loosely tied the canoe to some brush, walked back toward the point of land, to be set up near my spread, got settled in to hunt.
After some time, the tide swung, and was coming in, which in turn, caused the Canoe to rise up in the fisher where it was moored.
It was overcast and a bit windy, I turned to look just as a big gust of wind hit, and my Canoe starts to back out of the fisher, and is now going into the channel, which is deep.
No second guessing this one, it's jump in now, or watch your canoe go bye-bye, and be stuck out there. In a full run, I threw my gun down, and jumped into the water, full winter gear on, waders, heavy jacket, clothes underneath etc..
Had to swim to catch the canoe, maybe 20 yards, and swim back. Made it back secured the canoe better this time, I was soaked, water up past my knees in the waders, cell phone was fried, wallet was a soggy mess.
I was an unusual day, somewhat warm, upper 40's, so I stayed and hunted for about 30 min more. Finally left, and made it out of there OK.
So, do waders drag you down? no, I was able to swim, not Mark Spits style, but a half stroke, back and forth, the water was cold, that's for sure, but I never felt I was going to be dragged under by the waders.
Maineduckhunter
hunter

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:58 pm

Hunting with my brother when I was twelve on a 15 degree dayan cornfield that bordered a river in flood stage, went running after a crippled mallard and the water went from née deep to over my head in one step. Ended up getting swept 150 yards downstream before grabbing hold of a branch and pulling myself to shore, luckily my brother saw it happen and got me to a truck immediately. Still the most scared I have been in my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dont shoot until you can see their toenails!
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby razorrt5 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:58 pm

Flipped my kayak 2 weeks ago hunting a lake, it was 36 degree with a 30 mph wind, real feel of about 25.....I don't suggest doing it.
If it's not duck season...its one day closer
razorrt5
hunter

Previous

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting