German Wirehaired Pointers for waterfowl

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

German Wirehaired Pointers for waterfowl

Postby kar6man6 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:32 pm

Not looking for a lab vs wirehair debate. Just looking for some opinions from people that have them and have hunted waterfowl with GWPs. What are your opinions of them as duck hunting dogs? pros and cons compared to labs? How cold of temperatures are they comfortable hunting in? Assuming that they are sitting in a boat or on a stand out of the water. I've been hunting with my lab for the past 8 years but she has suddenly begun having seizure on a bi-weekly basis and now refuses to have anything to do with water so it is time for a new dog. Thank you for any help.
kar6man6
hunter

Re: German Wirehaired Pointers for waterfowl

Postby SDduckhunter23 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:25 pm

I have a GWP that we use both for upland and waterfowl hunting. She is a girl, and she is only 3 years old. Far less energetic than a lab but will hit the water with the same intensity. They are also smaller so they are easier to hide if you don't use a blind. Mine loves duck hunting probably more than pheasant hunting, but we go after waterfowl 99% of the time. She loves to retrieve, especially in water, but she also enjoys it in the field. Never hunted geese with her before but i'm planning on it this season now that she is probably full grown. I've had her out in 0 degree weather all the way to around 60. I put a Avery vest on her in the winter or when we are in cold water and that seems to be just the trick. Might be a good idea to bring a towel just in case to dry them off. We usually keep her out of the water until it is time to retrieve so as to keep her warm. I have taken her in a boat and she seems fine with it as well as used a stand for her. With proper training they will hold steady and can be just as good, if not better than a lab (just my opinion). One of the best all purpose dogs out there, loves to be with kids, has a great enthusiasm for hunting, and is a very reliable dog all around. PM me if you need to know anything else!
Carter Klatt

As you get older, and hunting time is more available to you, it can get easy to go back to a honey hole too often. Next thing you know, it's not so much honey and more of a hole.
SDduckhunter23
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting