Black duck/mallard?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

Black duck/mallard?

Postby Sprigs&specks » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:29 am

image.jpg
image.jpg
I need some thoughts on this, I shot this bird on nov. 14 of the 2013 season in central il. Duck came in with 4 other mallards right at legal shooting time, so it was a little dark all birds were drakes. But I could tell that this one was very dark for a drake mallard and all I could think was black duck so I picked him as my fist shot. I was thrilled considering we don't get a lot of black ducks in central illinois and it would be my first. After the dog made the retrieve and I was looking it over great disappointment hit me when I seen the white borders along the speculum and almost hen mallard colors. This bird was shot in the middle of November, so I wouldn't think the duck would be in molt but maybe I'm wrong. I want to put it on the wall but want to make sure it's a hybrid before I do it and not just a juvenile mallard.
Sprigs&specks
hunter

Re: Black duck/mallard?

Postby Sprigs&specks » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:31 am

image.jpg
Sprigs&specks
hunter

Postby Sprigs&specks » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:32 am

image.jpg
Sprigs&specks
hunter

Postby Hbnel5on » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:32 am

It looks like it to me! With the bill anyway

Some coot stole my fone.
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Hookers and blow.
Hbnel5on
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:04 pm

Them white bars mean it's a cross-breed. Here the process...
First look at bill.
Bill says black duck to me.
Wing says mallard.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby OldCypress » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:28 pm

i'd say hybrid. Here's my question: Are black duck x mallard hybrids fertile? Because it looks like this one may have had a hybrid a few steps back in the lineage...
Remember, you're unique. Just like everyone else.
OldCypress
hunter

Postby Sprigs&specks » Fri May 16, 2014 10:48 pm

Bump
Sprigs&specks
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Sat May 17, 2014 9:10 am

OldCypress wrote:i'd say hybrid. Here's my question: Are black duck x mallard hybrids fertile? Because it looks like this one may have had a hybrid a few steps back in the lineage...

Yes, a black x mallard cross is fertile. The interesting thing here is how you count it in your bag limit. Here in the Atlantic Flyway, you are allowed one black duck a day. According to some documentation, white bars on the wing indicate a cross breed and it should be counted as a "duck" and not against any species specific count. However, it is left to the discretion of the ECO. So, you need to convince him that it is a cross breed or be cited.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Mon May 19, 2014 11:31 pm

man, there is a lot of white on them wings.. i would not be so sure it is not just an eclipse.
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby captainduckhead » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:20 pm

Yeah that's a mutt for sure. I don't understand the excitement in shooting a half breed duck. Can someone explain that to me? I would think that a nice clean example of any species would be preferable over some half breed park duck.
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:33 pm

captainduckhead wrote:Yeah that's a mutt for sure. I don't understand the excitement in shooting a half breed duck. Can someone explain that to me? I would think that a nice clean example of any species would be preferable over some half breed park duck.

i love shooting hybreds. very neat and rare treats.. the above however is IMHO a young drake mallard. we killed a few that were late to plume out this year so i don't find mid november to be all that odd.

i'll try to find some pictures of black hybreds and some eclipse drakes too.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:42 pm

4th birds from left on the bottom row is an eclipse drake. colored up a bit more but it was killed in Dec. in Tn

here is a hybred black/mallard

i should have taken some better picks of the eclipse birds as it is odd to kill as many as we did late in the year. very common in October in the dakotas.

i do have a better picture of a black/mallard, just have to find it.

possumfoot
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting